• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2006 DVC Member Cruise - SSMC06 - October 22, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Walker on his derby car!!!

Julie - we got our chips yesterday, and all I can say is yummy, yum, yum!!! Chris did laugh at me that I bought potato chips over the internet, but I did mention their connection to you, so he was a bit more understanding, but he still laughed!!! The key is, he liked them too, and the first thing that he said - "they taste like french fries".:rotfl2:

Our favorites!! :love: :love: :love:

Congrats to Walker on his derby car!!!

Julie - we got our chips yesterday, and all I can say is yummy, yum, yum!!! Chris did laugh at me that I bought potato chips over the internet, but I did mention their connection to you, so he was a bit more understanding, but he still laughed!!! The key is, he liked them too, and the first thing that he said - "they taste like french fries".:rotfl2:

Yes another convert!!
We do love those chips in this house. In a way I'm glad I can't just run to the store and grab them because I'd be that freak lady who stops at the store while running errands and would eat the whole bag and hide the evidence before I got home!!!:rotfl2:

Yes another convert!!
We do love those chips in this house. In a way I'm glad I can't just run to the store and grab them because I'd be that freak lady who stops at the store while running errands and would eat the whole bag and hide the evidence before I got home!!!:rotfl2:

LOL are you and Matt related??? :rotfl2:

We're home - can't say we're real happy about that! We left Saturday about 11 AM and the temp was 77. Got home (about 3 1/2 hrs later than planned, about 22 hrs instead of 18 1/2) and the temp was 27 with freezing rain and slushy stuff on the roads. We hit rain through all of Kentucky and by the time we got into Ohio one lane of I-75 was slush and the other had been cleared and that cinder stuff was on it. We stopped about 3 AM for a 1 hr nap - the blowing winds made it quite hard to keep the car on the road - so it made for an exhausting drive home. Came in the house, said Hi to the dog and went to bed for a few hours for some much needed sleep!

Dawn has decided to go to Duke. I figured she would, but it was nice while it lasted that she might be going to UF and I would have another reason to go to Florida :cool1: She doesn't start there until the Fall so she will have more time to work and get some money saved up for the 2 years she will be there.

Mary, nice pictures of Hawaii! Looking forward to seeing more when you get back. Enjoy your trip!

Welcome back Gail!!! I'm sure that you're not happy to be home, but at least we finally had nicer weather before you left. It was great having dinner with you guys on Sunday night, and the girls REALLY enjoyed spending time with Deanna!!!

Congrats to Dawn on her decision to go with Duke!! What a great accomplishment for her to be accepted to two awesome programs!!!

Gail - I'm glad to hear that you made it home safely - been thinking about you all weekend and wondering if you were home yet. I feared the road conditions were not the best.

Tonite is DVC chat - hope some of you can stop by. The link to the chat room is above.

WOW, it's been forever since I posted here but thought I'd drop in to say Hi!:yay:
I've been very busy and limiting 'puter time has helped alot.
My son's fiancee's dad died on Thursday. Young man of 50 we are all very saddened by it and today is the wake and tomorrow is the funeral. Jewish ppl don't do wakes so it's always a scary proposition for us (and it's open casket :scared1: ) My son is freaked...he was pretty close with him.
I've been dieting and exercising (that is what takes up alot of time that would have been computer time) and results are showing :banana: I've lost 19lbs. So much more to go and it's a challenge with conferences and travel but I'm determined. Went to the cardiac disease prevention clinic and was told my test results: prehypertensive and prediabetic!!! All reversible with diet and exercise at this point...glad I started that anyway!
Flights are sOOOOOO expensive right now. I just paid for my tix in April and it's what I used to pay for two ppl. Thank goodness I'll be staying free but since I'll be off property I think I have to think about renting a car. Can't wait for warm sun on my skin. It was a late snowless winter but it sure did get awfully cold. It's snowing here this morning. I'm so done with winter! Anyone want to join me for a disney getaway April 20-26th? I think I'm going to be by my lonesome except that dd will come down from daytona to visit with me on the weekend. I'd sure love some DIS company!

A little catchup:
Glad you like your new vacuum's, lol

New chips sound good, I don't do any trans fats if I can help it. In fact I've been ordered to do NO saturated fats at all...no red meat, pork, ice cream etc. :-( Eating at disney will be a challenge...there's only so much chicken a person can eat, LOL.

Hope all the sickies are better

Glad your pipes are fixed...no more wipes!

Sounds like Cheryl, Jeff, Amy and Gail had a nice dinner...hmmmm watermelon soda sounds interesting.

Steve, the pics from Alaska are amazing, I'll have to plan DCL for that trip!

Gail, sorry you dd decided on the other college but I'm sure you'll find other reasons to visit FL....oh wait do you need a reason!

Mary and Mark hope your having a wonderful time in Hawaii...it's my dream to visit there sometime.

Well I think I've about caught up. I'm soooo busy with shopping for scrapping that I had to spend the weekend reorganizing my "studio" which used to house all my knitting/wool/spinning stuff so there would be room for my scrappin stuff. So off I went to Michaels and found a backpack from Generations reg $30 on clearance for $20 and they let me use the 40% coupon :banana: I also bought 8x12 envelopes: they hold large paper solids, small papers solid, printed papers, stickers: alphabets, stickers: disney, stickers: general, cut out shapes, and current project pages. They all fit in the backpack plus it has a zip out organizer to hold scissors etc. So all my scrappin stuff is put away and accessible and my worktable is free again. I have a plastic tote that holds all the die cuts I've bought and punches. I am soooo bad!

Well have a nice day everyone! It's off to work I go

Good Morning :surfweb:

Welcome back (to reality ;) ), Gail! Glad you had a great trip.

Congratulations to Dawn. :cheer2: You & John must be very proud.

Ilene....I can so understand what you mean about the need to organize your scrapping stuff! Last summer I cleaned out a closet to put all of my yarn and knitting supplies in one place. It's still halfway decent, but there are a few needles scattered here and there around the house, so sometimes I have to go searching for a particular size.

Scrapping....that's another story. DH bought me one of those rolling totes for my birthday, but it can only hold so much! We have an old computer desk that we no longer use (since we got a laptop) so I want to turn that into my scrapping table, but first KEN NEEDS TO GET THE OLD COMPUTER OUT OF THERE! I know I've mentioned this on more than one occasion, but it just isn't high enough on his "to do" list!

We have company coming on Thursday, so I need to get busy today and get the guest room ready since I'll be working Tues. and Wed.

Gail and John....our congratulations to you and Dawn! I here that NC is a nice vacation spot too!

Mark and Mary...love the Hawaii pictures. Hope Ken and I can make it back there someday.

Welcome back Gail and John.Hope you had a great time.Dawn congrats on going to Duke!:cool1:

Mary and Karen need a roomie ?:lmao: Congrats on snagging the May cruise.:thumbsup2

Mark and Mary hope you are having a blast in Hawaii! Loved the pictures.

Robin ,wow squrits getting so big now.

OK ,I think I'm cought up...:surfweb:

When's the next Dis meet again??:scared:

Morning everyone !

I hope all those who have been feeling poorly are getting better!

Gail and John welcome back Sorry we couldnt have a little nicer weather for you.......

I hope Mary and Mark are having a glorious time .

And Robins and Davids little Squirt is growing so big!

I am on a 48 hr shift on the 'bulance today so I am hoping for some quiet time! I will check in as available!

Squid

Oohhh, I'm really looking forward to July!!!

How's everyone this morning??? Doing well here in St. Petersburg!! Madison is getting the rest of her furniture delivered today for her big girl room (a new dresser and chest) and then it will be complete. The only problem is that all of her baby furniture is now in my dining room. But, Chris has a friend at work that is having a baby and was complaining about the price of furniture, so he's coming over on Thursday to look at ours. I'm hoping to get $500 for the whole set, if possible (it'll help with our cruise expenses in April). :banana:

Good morning everyone (well it is morning over here).:) Someone on the Blabbermouth thread was asking about the tour we took yesterday. Here is my write-up. BTW - it was awesome and I highly recommend it!

Good morning everyone! No pictures yet, but I can give you some more insight into the Home of the Brave tour. Pick up was EARLY. We had to be in Waikiki for a 6:20 am pick-up (and we were the last picked up).

As we got in the 12 person van there was a tv at the front running an old black and white 1940's era movie. I wasn't quite awake enough to figure out what it was but it was to get in the mood.

First stop was the Arizona Memorial. The whole reason we got up early because the line starts early and grows quickly. We got there and the line was already far enough back that our guide said he wasn't sure if we would be in group 1 or group 2 (groups are 150 people). He had a plan either way as he says they always try to be in one of those two groups. While waiting he did a great job of talking about the attack and about the ships that were in port that day and which ones weren't and why. He was very good and in fact we had people from the tours in front and back of us listening to him and not their own guides. Time to walk in and we got group 1 - yeah! We'll be the first on the memorial this morning. As we waited in line for the movie our guide pointed out a gentleman sitting across from the gift shop. He was one of the survivors and comes to the Memorial often to tell his story. Our guide informed us there are a 5-10 who come from time to time but this gentleman was his favorite and we shouldn't miss a chance to talk to him after our tour. You start with a 23 minute movie that talks abour the attack and what led up to it and then you take the boat out to the actual memorial. Very moving. After we had about 45 minutes to do the small museum, gift shop, snacks etc. We did do the gift shop but really didn't see the museum as we did stop to talk to Sheldon (I'm thinking that is his name - I'm not 100% sure this morning). As our guide said - the memorial will be there for many years to come, but how much longer can we talk to someone who was there that day. A true piece of history.

Back on the van we headed up to Wheeler Army Airfield. On the way our guide told stories about the day some of which have made it into movies. He also had great photographs he passed around the van showing the airfield and the planes used that day. As we road around Wheeler he pointed out which buildings had been hit and again had photographs showing some of the damage. Amazing!

Next stop was a drive to Schofield Army Barracks. The sad part of this is that right now it is pretty quiet as many of the residents are in Irag. There is a brand new sculpture on the grounds which was very moving. It showed a memorial to a fallen soldier (boots and gun with the helmet on the gun) in the front, then 4 soldiers paying respect to it. One dressed in Dessert Storm Gear, one in gear from Vietnam, one from Korea, and one from WWII. Again very moving and something you wouldn't see on a normal tour.

Next stop was Fort Shafter which was built in 1907. You have the beautiful palm circle (which if you saw the movie Pearl Harbor was used to depict Pearl Harbon and the hospital there). This is also home to what they call the Pineapple Pentagon where we got to see an actual medal of honor that is on display. Lunch was served in the Military Club here facing the golf course. It was a buffet that we paid for but very reasonable. We had our guide at our table so also got to hear and learn a bit about current day Oahu from him.

After lunch we drove through Punchbowl National Cemetary. This was my only disappointment. When I visited here back in 1988 with my mom we were able to get out and really enjoy the beauty. Tour groups are no longer allowed to stop here. Want to know why? Because all the beautiful Banyon trees that line the drives are full of carved grafitti. How sad! They said when they stoped the groups from stopping the incidents of destruction went way down. How very very sad that people would do this in a cemetary.

Our last stop was the Home of the Brave gift shop/museum. Very small but very cool. Yes it is a gift shop (these people must have visited Disney to know to end in a gift shop) but it also really pays tribute to the men and women who served. There are many many polaroid photos of survivors of Pearl Harbor who have visited. Each one shows their name, the dates they were in the military and where they served. Very cool! There is also lots of memoriabilia that they have had donated to them.

Then it was back to our drop off in Waikiki. We did a little walking around the Hilton Hawaiian Village (OM tell Nick we saw the penquins) and then back to our car. We were back at the resort about 3pm.

Last night was the resorts Mai Tai party which they have once a week. It is held out on the great lawn and when you rsvp for it you get 2 drink tickets per person (either Mai Tai or fruit punch), a name tag and some raffle coupons. It is a showcase for what the hotel has to offer as far as tours etc (some of the raffle gifts) and also the two shows they have here (both lauas). A fun way to pass an hour. We stayed about 40 minutes.

Then we took the shuttle over to the JW Marriott for dinner. All in all a great day!

Mary, sounds like a great tour....but your in Hawaii, it's sunny, warm and best of all there's no snow---get off the computer and go enjoy your vacation!!! We'll all still be here when you get back, and we'll love to hear about it then....you're missing out on valuable sun time!! :sunny:

Mary, sounds like a great tour....but your in Hawaii, it's sunny, warm and best of all there's no snow---get off the computer and go enjoy your vacation!!! We'll all still be here when you get back, and we'll love to hear about it then....you're missing out on valuable sun time!! :sunny:

Diana - its 7:30 in the morning and I was posting while Mark was still sleeping (much as at home). Don't worry we are getting lots of time in the sun and fresh air.

Diana - its 7:30 in the morning and I was posting while Mark was still sleeping (much as at home). Don't worry we are getting lots of time in the sun and fresh air.

I'm not worrying at all. I'm just confused. Even at 7:30--go outside and have some fun in the sun!

Not my dream vacation---not my business....I'll butt out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter