• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$20-$25 more for bunkbed rooms '07?

I had the reverse reaction. I think it's great! Now people can get what they want instead of being disappointed when they arrive at the front desk. Same idea w/ values having you pay for preferred instead of requesting it. Must give the front desk CM's a break from some of the headaches. :thumbsup2

There is a thread about the increase in price for bunks on the codes and rates board.
Here is the thread:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1116595

Most people seem to like the idea because if they pay for bunks they will get bunks. It will no longer be just a request.

It's really no different than paying a little more for a 'preferred' room at the values, or a different view at the mods/deluxe.

Disney's marketing department wouldn't be doing its job if they didn't recognize that the demand for bunks is great enough that they can 'afford' to charge a little more for them without risking a loss of requests for them.

I got them on request at the WL last summer, but would have been more than willing to pay the extra fee to guarantee it.

Maybe it is time to take our money and go somewhere else for vacation. First it was Magic Kingdom view rooms, now bunk bed rooms, where will it end? Geez, I agree with the poster who said they could have lowered the rate on their parking lot view rooms and made this a little more fair.

I love WDW and my DH and I enjoy our vacations very much. But, it is getting to be the same price as a trip to Europe or Hawaii to visit. I think we will be going somewhere else next year. :sad2:

I had the reverse reaction. I think it's great! Now people can get what they want instead of being disappointed

We Agree pirate:

Not at all. I think it should be done this way. Now people know what they will get when they pay for it and not be upset when a request is not met. I think it is a smart move.

I think it's a good idea... as long as I don't get a "free upgrade" to a bunk bed room when I travel there with two small children in another couple of years.

I agree. I don't believe any advantage should be left to random chance. If there is something that is better than something else, it should cost more!!! That way, folks can make a decision whether they want to pay extra for the extra special experience, insteading hoping and then being disappointed.

The next thing I'd like to see them fix has to do with Rose and Crown Pub: I'd like to see an entertainment fee charged for the 30% of the tables at Rose and Crown put that have a view of Illuminations.

I agree it's a good idea to make them separate categories, either bunk beds or two queens. But why charge more? Generally at other hotels you can choose 2 dbls or 1 king, but you aren't charged more. You just get to make the choice.

Actually, king bed rooms typically do cost more.

The pricing should be a reflection of the supply of and demand for each category.

I think it's a good idea also. If you want it, then you have to buy it. If I wanted a king bed, I certainly would be willing or not willing to pay for it. However, after many stays at AKL and WL, I can't tell you how many times we have been put into a room with a bunk bed that we did not need. It's only 2 adults in our traveling party and we seem to get rooms with bunk bed 50% of the time. Go figure? As for paying for a view, that also is certainly understandable. Why would we all want to pay the exact same price and have some of us get a great view while the rest did not...doesn't sound very fair to me. When I book a standard view room, I go to Disney expecting a standard room view and if I'm upgraded great, if not, no problem.

Well, it hasn't been my experience that king rooms cost more, but I've been told before when making a reservation, "Sorry, all we have left are doubles," so it certainly could have been accomplished to separate these rooms into two categories without raising the price. That's my only point. I haven't been to AKL but have stayed at WL several times. I like the resort, but let's face it, the room are quite small, and the price they get for them is already very high, in my opinion. I just have to draw the line here for myself personally on what I'm willing to spend. No more bunk bed rooms for us, and that's really okay with us.

LeslieG said:
Well, it hasn't been my experience that king rooms cost more, but I've been told before when making a reservation, "Sorry, all we have left are doubles," so it certainly could have been accomplished to separate these rooms into two categories without raising the price. That's my only point. I haven't been to AKL but have stayed at WL several times. I like the resort, but let's face it, the room are quite small, and the price they get for them is already very high, in my opinion. I just have to draw the line here for myself personally on what I'm willing to spend. No more bunk bed rooms for us, and that's really okay with us.

I think that is what Disney is trying to do-get people to decide what they are willing to spend more money on. That way everyone knows what they are getting in the end and can be okay with it.

I personally haven't got to try WL because my family of 5 can't fit into a standard room. Maybe some day when we have a smaller group.

The king rooms cost more at the moderate resorts as they can be specifically reserved and are not just a request. Who knows-maybe that will also eventually happen at the other resorts.

Add me to the "like the idea" camp, I personally like the ability to reserve and pay for what I need

After years of begging for a room close to the food court/main pool as the solo adult with toddlers now I can just purchase what I need. Now that the kids are older I may or may not choose to purchaes it but I don't have to beg and wonder if I need or want that option.

I will pay the extra for the bunk rooms, we have requested them twice at AKL and once at WL and not gotten them. I speculate that is becaue my children are both girls but who knows?

I see it as no different than a preferred view, preferred room or even value vs moderate.

TJ

I hope this doesn't backfire on the folks who like the 2 queens. If people aren't willing to spend the extra money for the bunks, the 2 queens may suddenly be hard to get.

I don't know, it just seems like nickel-and-diming customers to me. Other hotel chains have different categories based on bed size, often without an extra charge for either. We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge twice. One time we got bunk beds--we don't want them! So, I don't know if some family that wanted them didn't get them or that's all that was left.

On the topic of requests, I have to say that I think Disney pays less attention to them than most hotels. We like quiet, so always request a top floor, far away from the elevator. Other than non-smoking, which we always get, I never get a location even resembling my request at Disney. Other hotel chains seem happy to put us at the end of the top floor. It's not a big deal, but I figure someone has to get those rooms and I can't imagine tons of people request rooms as far as possible from the elevator (especially at Disney), so why is it never us?

Just a tangent up there, sorry, but I guess kudos to Disney. They have figured out that people will pay for anything when Disney charges and they take every advantage of that. Would I pay more to put a request for far away from the elevator on my room? Never! But, for those of you who would, I guess this latest added charge is good news.

I like the additional cost, or some way to guarantee the bunks anyway. I wanted bunks at AKL last year, and made my request almost a year in advance. When we got there, we didn't get them and my kids were really disappointed.

I think it shows how popular bunk beds have become. I wonder if they are doing the same at the AKL. Anyone know.?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter