2 year olds in Oceaneers

KLB9

Mouseketeer
We just finished our cruise on the Magic with a 2yo who is potty trained (3 in March)

We had herd on here and from calling Disney that she may be allowed into Oceaneers, however there has been a policy change.

We went to the Club to talk to them and register the 6yo and were told the 2yo could not use the Oceaneers under any circumstance, 3 is now a strict minimum.

The nursery was fine and we were never stuck because it was full, but though any parents of 2 years olds might like to know.

What???? We booked our cruise (jan 26) solely based on our 2 year old who is fully potty trained (Bday feb. 27) being allowed in Oceaneer club with big brother who is 4. Our travel agent contacted Disney and they told us this was allowed when we booked. Our boys will not separate because they are so close. Who can I call at DCL to complain????

This is the second, solid, "was just there and encountered this" report I've read.

Though I do have to say that before people said it had been allowed for kids that were something like a month away from 3, not with a birthday 3 months away.

Yup, second reporting of this within the last few weeks.

I understand that it is frustrating, but it does state everywhere for DCL that the age is 3yo & fully potty trained. My DD will be 10yo on our next cruise. She is dying to go to Edge with her older brother, but the age for that group is 11yo. I am fully prepared to be told no when we inquire, but if they say yes, well, that will be some pixie dust for her.

The DCL CMs who work the phone lines and travel agencies aren't on the ships. They do not always give out the best advice and answers. What it comes down to is the staff working on the ship on your cruise that get to decide when and if they will bend the rules.

Hmm. I am on the Jan 4 Magic and plan on putting my son in the clubs. Our cruise is from Jan 4-11 and his birthday is the 11th. I sure hope they let him go!!!

This is the second, solid, "was just there and encountered this" report I've read.

Though I do have to say that before people said it had been allowed for kids that were something like a month away from 3, not with a birthday 3 months away.

True, our 2yo was going not guaranteed to be allowed in based on what we had herd becuase she was 3 months away.

However what I am saying is we went to the club and said we have an almost 3yo who is potty trained- and they didn't let us get another word in. they said it didn't matter how close it was or how well trained she was, and never asked the birthday.

The Club is really for older Kids anyway, the Councillors don't seam to direct the kids from station to station, the Kids are on their own to find something to do- due to the average age and CM-Kid ratio. Our 6yo had a blast but im thinking a child under 5 could be a little lost/run over in there.

I agree with the above poster. There is no way I'd trust a child as young as 2 in there, even if allowed. It's a mad house. My son is 6 and we just went on our first Disney cruise earlier this month and honestly I wouldn't send a child younger than 4 or 5 in there alone

The councilers (pretty sure that's spelled wrong but keeps auto correcting to that) are plenty nice, but there are just so many kids and so they are not taking the time to hold hands or anything. A young child, or very timid older child, will likely be overwhelmed.

I agree with the above poster. There is no way I'd trust a child as young as 2 in there, even if allowed. It's a mad house. My son is 6 and we just went on our first Disney cruise earlier this month and honestly I wouldn't send a child younger than 4 or 5 in there alone

The councilers (pretty sure that's spelled wrong but keeps auto correcting to that) are plenty nice, but there are just so many kids and so they are not taking the time to hold hands or anything. A young child, or very timid older child, will likely be overwhelmed.

This is a little depressing to hear. DS will be 6 3/4 on our cruise next week. I hope it's not too overwhelming for him...I guess I don't really understand why they would group kids from the age of 3 all the way up to 12 together. It makes no sense -- they are at totally different developmental stages, and enjoy different activities. We've only sailed on Royal Caribbean, and they group by age (3-5, 6-8, 9-11). That makes more sense to me.

We just finished our cruise on the Magic with a 2yo who is potty trained (3 in March)

We had herd on here and from calling Disney that she may be allowed into Oceaneers, however there has been a policy change.

We went to the Club to talk to them and register the 6yo and were told the 2yo could not use the Oceaneers under any circumstance, 3 is now a strict minimum.

The nursery was fine and we were never stuck because it was full, but though any parents of 2 years olds might like to know.

Hi!

I am a YA Counselor and there has indeed been a policy change. All children must be 3 to play in the Club or Lab. (During secured programming). If your child turns 3 during the cruise they will be allowed in on their birthday. Have a magical cruise! x

This is a little depressing to hear. DS will be 6 3/4 on our cruise next week. I hope it's not too overwhelming for him...I guess I don't really understand why they would group kids from the age of 3 all the way up to 12 together. It makes no sense -- they are at totally different developmental stages, and enjoy different activities. We've only sailed on Royal Caribbean, and they group by age (3-5, 6-8, 9-11). That makes more sense to me.

Hi! The counsellors are very aware that it can be overwhelming for younger children and we do everything we can to help them settle in. We have such a large age range because parents wanted their children together at all times. We used to have split ages in the club and lab but too many people complained that their children couldn't be together so it was changed to 3-12.

My DS isn't at all timid and even he called to have us pick him up quite often because it was so hectic. He loved it there, but did get overwhelmed at times and he's pretty outgoing and not at all shy, but after awhile it became too much. He spent a lot of time in the clubs, but did require a lot of breaks away to reset. 90 mins was about the average stretch of time, though during port days when it wasn't as busy he didn't want to leave the kids club at all..he said it was much more fun when it wasn't so crowded.

Yeah we've sailed other lines as well when DS was younger and liked how they seperate the ages out. 3-12 is a big age range to all be in one club. Like I said, the workers are all great and it's nothing against them, it's just that there are so many kids to so few councilers.

Another thing, a few times there was something specific listed in the kids area that DS would want to do, and then a bit later he would call to get picked up and say it must not have happened. Basically if a kid isn't in the right area where said activity takes place, they miss out. Apparently the councilers don't go around announcing so and so will start soon. Not a huge issue, but something to keep in mind. By the end of the cruise I learned to wait to drop DS off right when whatever specific activity he wanted to do started and would double check with the councilers which area he should go to.

Hi! The counsellors are very aware that it can be overwhelming for younger children and we do everything we can to help them settle in. We have such a large age range because parents wanted their children together at all times. We used to have split ages in the club and lab but too many people complained that their children couldn't be together so it was changed to 3-12.

You can't please all the people all the time. Seems like people would complain either way -- they want their kids together, or they don't want their 3 year old with a bunch of 12 year olds. I think it should come down to what makes the most sense for welfare of the kids...which would be to separate by age. Of course, my son is an only child...and I might feel differently if he had siblings ;-)

My DS isn't at all timid and even he called to have us pick him up quite often because it was so hectic. He loved it there, but did get overwhelmed at times and he's pretty outgoing and not at all shy, but after awhile it became too much. He spent a lot of time in the clubs, but did require a lot of breaks away to reset. 90 mins was about the average stretch of time, though during port days when it wasn't as busy he didn't want to leave the kids club at all..he said it was much more fun when it wasn't so crowded.

Yeah we've sailed other lines as well when DS was younger and liked how they seperate the ages out. 3-12 is a big age range to all be in one club. Like I said, the workers are all great and it's nothing against them, it's just that there are so many kids to so few councilers.

Another thing, a few times there was something specific listed in the kids area that DS would want to do, and then a bit later he would call to get picked up and say it must not have happened. Basically if a kid isn't in the right area where said activity takes place, they miss out. Apparently the councilers don't go around announcing so and so will start soon. Not a huge issue, but something to keep in mind. By the end of the cruise I learned to wait to drop DS off right when whatever specific activity he wanted to do started and would double check with the councilers which area he should go to.

I'm glad to have this info, as I think my son will be the same way. He will definitely want to do some specific activities, and will definitely get overwhelmed if it's too hectic (even though he's not at all shy or timid). I thought that the activities would be announced, but it sounds like it's not done that way. Not sure how DCL expects little kids to know when and where an activity would be starting unless they were specifically told it was happening.

You can't please all the people all the time. Seems like people would complain either way -- they want their kids together, or they don't want their 3 year old with a bunch of 12 year olds. I think it should come down to what makes the most sense for welfare of the kids...which would be to separate by age. Of course, my son is an only child...and I might feel differently if he had siblings ;-)

My son is an only too so I'm with you on this one. I can understand parents of multiple kids wanting them to stay together though.

Hi! I am a YA Counselor and there has indeed been a policy change. All children must be 3 to play in the Club or Lab. (During secured programming). If your child turns 3 during the cruise they will be allowed in on their birthday. Have a magical cruise! x
Ugg. Ok. Thanks for the info. We actually get OFF the ship on my son's third birthday. Guess we will be booking into the nursery today:( Too bad. Thought he was going to be able to finally hang out with his older brother.

I'm glad to have this info, as I think my son will be the same way. He will definitely want to do some specific activities, and will definitely get overwhelmed if it's too hectic (even though he's not at all shy or timid). I thought that the activities would be announced, but it sounds like it's not done that way. Not sure how DCL expects little kids to know when and where an activity would be starting unless they were specifically told it was happening.

Hi. We make an announcement over the microphone that such and such a program is starting and for anyone who wants to do it to come and sit down in front of the stage. The counselors do try and persuade children to do the scheduled programs but lots of kids would rather play computer games or do crafts which in that case we can't force them to participate.

Hi. We make an announcement over the microphone that such and such a program is starting and for anyone who wants to do it to come and sit down in front of the stage.

That's great news! I will make sure DS is listening for the announcements. Thanks!

That's great news! I will make sure DS is listening for the announcements. Thanks!

With all due respect, the clubs are so loud anyone would be hard pressed to hear an announcement, if in fact they do announce. You'd be hard pressed to have a conversation in there.

On the Fantasy I specifically asked a counciler about it and was told they don't normally announce an activity. So not sure what to believe on this one. All I know is that my son missed out on things he really wanted to do if I didn't drop him off right when they started. It's a very very hectic place. It makes the kids clubs on any other cruise line I've been on seem like a library. Chaotic doesn't even begin to describe it. Fun chaos, but still very loud and crazy with 100+ kids running around screaming in such a huge area with multiple rooms. No order whatsoever. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying it like it is. It's far different from the kids club on any of the carnival or NCL ships we've been on, which were much calmer and organized. So if that's what anyone is expecting then they are sorely mistaken. I feel like Disney expects the kids to fend for themselves more than the other lines I've cruised on. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just different than what I expected. We made it work and DS had a blast regardless. The councilers on Disney just seemed to watch over more than interact, whereas, especially Carnival, they seemed to be very interactive. There's no right or wrong, just different. :)

With all due respect, the clubs are so loud anyone would be hard pressed to hear an announcement, if in fact they do announce. You'd be hard pressed to have a conversation in there.

On the Fantasy I specifically asked a counciler about it and was told they don't normally announce an activity. So not sure what to believe on this one. All I know is that my son missed out on things he really wanted to do if I didn't drop him off right when they started. It's a very very hectic place. It makes the kids clubs on any other cruise line I've been on seem like a library. Chaotic doesn't even begin to describe it. Fun chaos, but still very loud and crazy with 100+ kids running around screaming in such a huge area with multiple rooms. No order whatsoever. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying it like it is. It's far different from the kids club on any of the carnival or NCL ships we've been on, which were much calmer and organized. So if that's what anyone is expecting then they are sorely mistaken. I feel like Disney expects the kids to fend for themselves more than the other lines I've cruised on. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just different than what I expected. We made it work and DS had a blast regardless. The councilers on Disney just seemed to watch over more than interact, whereas, especially Carnival, they seemed to be very interactive. There's no right or wrong, just different. :)

The Counselor you asked may have meant that we don't announce the Lab programs in the Club and vice versa which we don't. If there is a program in the other space that your child wants to do they need to remember that it's on or have an adult come and take them over ( I'm talking about the Wonder spaces). We definitely announce every single program happening in the spaces and multiple times.

We are expected to interact with children and most of us want to interact with your children. There are some positions on our schedules, say when we are standing in front of the bathroom, that play interaction simply cannot happen. Sometimes we do have to supervise an area so that if something happens we have been watching rather than playing.

I think its because people complained about wanting siblings to be able to stay together, its hard to make a perfect balance

I think its because people complained about wanting siblings to be able to stay together, its hard to make a perfect balance

Exactly so. Oceaneer's Club used to be ages 3-7, while the Oceaneer's Lab was ages 8-12. That's why, on the classic ships, those areas are actually separated (by the atrium).

People complained that they wanted their various aged kids to be able to "be together" in the clubs, so DCL combined the two into Oceaneer's Club/Lab. There are still two (sort of) separate areas - the Club with activities aimed toward the younger ages, and the Lab with activities aimed toward the older ages. However, any child in either space can participate in whatever activities appeal to them.

So now we have parents complaining about their 3 year old getting run over by the 12 year olds in the club/lab space. Pretty much saying "Why do they have such a wide spread of ages?".

DCL can't win.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter