2 year old eats all her advent chocolate, teach her a lesson or not?

Marionnette said:
IMO, two is not too young to learn about consequences. But considering that Christmas is still two weeks away, that is an awfully long time to expect a 2 yo to handle the consequences of a misdeed. At her age, discipline has to be quick and meaningful. I would never expect a child that young to comprehend why she is being punished today for something she did last week.

Exactly. Young children don't comprehend time the way we do.

OP here again. Said two year old had a nice, long self-imposed time out in her room after she was caught with the candy. She laid in her bed hiding under her blanket and eventually fell asleep!

Older sister could care less that she is getting a new calendar and thought it was hilarious that we sister ate all her chocolate.

She won't be getting a whole new one, DH and I will take care of eating the first 10 days worth of chocolate :rotfl2:

Win-win!!

I don't have kids so my gut reaction was teach her a lesson BUT in reality I'd probably punish her for eating the chocolates (like it sounds like you did) and replace the chocolates (but eat the first 10 days like you all did)!!

we had the opposite problem a few years ago. my ds ate all of my dd candy from the advent calendar. He knew it was hers, too!!! DH called me while both kids were screaming, DD because she had no more candy and DS because Daddy took the candy away! I had to go to 4 stores before I could find another one ( it was mid December!) since then I always by a couple extras!!!!!

we had the opposite problem a few years ago. my ds ate all of my dd candy from the advent calendar. He knew it was hers, too!!! DH called me while both kids were screaming, DD because she had no more candy and DS because Daddy took the candy away! I had to go to 4 stores before I could find another one ( it was mid December!) since then I always by a couple extras!!!!!

oh my,are n' t kids wonderful?! :rotfl2:

I love that your dh had them both screaming and rang you to rectify the situation.
good planning to buy extras,hope they're well hidden! :goodvibes

When exactly do you all expect a child to learn consequences? Does it magically just appear with your kids? Both of my daughters knew about consequences by the age of two. Mommy says no, and you do it anyways, consequences.

I agree that a two year old can learn about consequences. But at the same time, being that young, they really need to be more immediate. Punishing a two year old over the course of the two weeks remaining on her sister's Advent calendar isn't going to work because two days from now a child that young will already have forgotten why she isn't getting candy but her big sister is.

IMO, the OP handled it well. Her DD received immediate consequences in the form of a time out, and will not get any extra benefit from the new calendar (i.e. the past ten days of candy will be removed and she'll start right where the old one left off). Sounds very appropriate given her age and emotional maturity.

I think in a 2 year old's mind, reminding them every day and punishing them every day would be like them getting punished for something they didn't even know what they did. Kids that young need to have consequences immediately, not over a period of time. They just don't remember or connect things otherwise. Sounds like OP is a great mom. :)

I will chime in with the general consensus, which is that you handled it very well. I'm so glad you didn't try to impose a long, drawn-out "lesson" on your 2-year-old over some little chocolates in a calendar. It is absolutely too much to expect a 2-year-old to comprehend a 15-day punishment for doing something impulsive. It will be a cute story for the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter