2 way radio

fionaF1

Earning My Ears
hi :wave2:
we are going to wdw in march for our 4th visit :Pinkbounc cant wait!!
this time there are a few of us and we would like to get 2 way radios.
i know you can buy them off ebay cheaper than renting them, but haven't a clue which ones to get. :confused3 is it true you need a licence for the ones that work over 2 miles?
can anyone help

We got the Disney two way radios (Mickey colour scheme :) ) a couple of years ago and to be honest did not find them as useful as we hoped. Difficult to hear and lots of competition on the wavelengths. They don't even get packed now for trips.

we were told that - not to mention it only really works if your all in the same park - not if your in MK and the other people are in AK. We had 8 of us this time and we didnt bother!

WE bought radios out there in Walmart for about $30 and they have gone on every trip since as well as being borrowed by other family members. You need ones with several channels and subchannels so that you don't send the cleaner in Walmart to ailse 5 as my friend did! They work well in same park on the whole unless there is a great big or dense structure in the way, e.g. they work less well on the cruise because of all the bits of ship! We would be lost without our radios, b ut as with everything they have their limitations and as long as you accept that, there should be no problem. With regards to the license, no-one seems to bother I should think in a place like WDW it would be hard to identify that one person amongst every one there. You don't need the license in order to purchase them either.

Also, 2way radios bought in the UK use different frequencies to the US ones. This means two things:-

1. They are illegal to use in USA.
2. Less people using them therefore easier to find an empty challenge and not send folk to aisle 5 in Walmart.

we got ones over there worked great can't rember which ones but they had a lot of channels

but I pluged them in over here and that was the end of them
this year we just texted one another with our mobile phones

thanks everyone. :love2: this is the first time i have used this and it's really great. thanks for all your help. will be using this all the time now. the more i read the more excited i get. :banana: i don't know how i'm gonna manage till april. :hourglass

Last year I bought a 5 watt family radio set so I could keep in touch. The amount of radio traffic was insane. I should have know better and saved the 75 bucks.

Can I ask - which mobile phone network do you need to be with to be able to use in US?

Thanks

JanMary said:
Can I ask - which mobile phone network do you need to be with to be able to use in US?

Thanks

All the UK mobile phone providers will allow you to use your phone abroad - you may need to contact your provider to enable international roaming though.

You will also need a 'tri' or 'quad' band phone to be able to use it in the USA.

Walmart were selling the basic Nokia on the T mobile PAYG plan for $39, which includes a $15 credit voucher. We used a Virgin US PAYG phone (that I've had for some time) and we bought one of the Nokias (to get the PAYG sim to stick in DW's unlocked tri-band phone). It worked well, we were able to phone and send texts without having to worry about insane roaming charges.

Both phones had Portland OR phone numbers (503 area code), it was a little bit confusing for some friends in WDW at the same time as us. People they were with were confused why they should be calling Portland to speak to people from the UK visiting Orlando.

:) Chris.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter