• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2-Teen sleeping arrangements in DVC??

ossoarch

Earning My Ears
Ive got son and daughter teenagers. Was going to rent points for a studio until I saw there is only 1 bed and 1 pull out sofa.

So now I'm planning to rent points for 1 BR. But the bed arrangement seems to be exactly the same! My kids are tired of sleeping in the same bed on vacation. What's a dad to do?

Do I have to got to a smaller room in a hotel like WL that has bunks?

Old Key West has two queen beds in the studio and second bedroom of a two-bedroom unit.

some people bring those blow up beds - okay I don't remember what they are really called. :confused3

or worst case bring a sleeping bag and have your teens change places every other night.

Pack an inflateable twin mattress in a separate bag with sheets, pillow, etc and check it through if you are flying. There is room to put one on the floor in just about all the studios or one bedrooms. If need be, then have them trade sleeping arrangements half way through your vacation. My grown-up kids don't mind sleeping that way.

Hope this helps alittle :confused3

We have used the air bed many times and also depending on the size of the child have used the cushions off the couch and love seat in the one bedroom at OKW to make up a bed in the corner of the room. You do need to pack extra bed linens either way. You should have enough pillows as there are 4 on the king sized bed and 2 in the closet for the sofa. . A short teen could probably sleep on the love seat also.

We have two teens, boy and girl. We only get a 2 bedroom when they are along. ::MickeyMo

ossoarch said:
Ive got son and daughter teenagers. Was going to rent points for a studio until I saw there is only 1 bed and 1 pull out sofa.

So now I'm planning to rent points for 1 BR. But the bed arrangement seems to be exactly the same!

Same bed arrangement but the bed sizes are slightly different sizes. A studio has a queen bed and a full size pull out sofa, while a 1 bedroom has a king bed and a queen size pull out sofa. Perhaps you son and daughter wouldn't mind sleeping together if it was the king bed and you and your wife could have the sofa. I wouldn't do it with the older sofa models but I have heard good things about the ones at SSR.

Thanks to all, great advice. We're doing the airmattress and the 1BR. King bed is for us.

DVC-Don said:
We have two teens, boy and girl. We only get a 2 bedroom when they are along. ::MickeyMo

although my boy and girl are toddlers, i like to think ahead. we bought more pts. before the increase so we can do exactly this when they get older.

Am I the only one here who just figures that they will work it out on their own? I love my kids dearly but I'm not buying more points just so they can have their own room as a teen. I mean we're at WDW for goodness sake, if they can't grin and bear sleeping in the same bed for 8 hrs while at WDW I'm just going to tell them "figure it out, sleep where you want but don't expect me to fix it!"

I guess I just come from the perspective of coming from a family that was really poor and as a teen to even go to DL or WDW would have been such a luxury I would have slept in the car. Our vacations consisted of camping at state parks, LOL. We took my husband's kid brother and sister to DL when they were teens and there was never any doubt that they would be sharing the bed, they never even blinked an eye about it. I never considered that people would pay extra to get two beds for their kids, am I really all that odd? :crazy:

mamatojon said:
Am I the only one here who just figures that they will work it out on their own? I love my kids dearly but I'm not buying more points just so they can have their own room as a teen. I mean we're at WDW for goodness sake, if they can't grin and bear sleeping in the same bed for 8 hrs while at WDW I'm just going to tell them "figure it out, sleep where you want but don't expect me to fix it!"

I guess I just come from the perspective of coming from a family that was really poor and as a teen to even go to DL or WDW would have been such a luxury I would have slept in the car. Our vacations consisted of camping at state parks, LOL. We took my husband's kid brother and sister to DL when they were teens and there was never any doubt that they would be sharing the bed, they never even blinked an eye about it. I never considered that people would pay extra to get two beds for their kids, am I really all that odd? :crazy:

I don't know if I'd call you "odd", but you certainly do have a different perspective than our family does. ;) First off, I would NEVER expect my son and daughter to share a bed past the age of 5 or 6 years old. Just doesn't seem right. Now, I *would* bring a sleeping bag or air mattress along, however. When we are "on the road", DH sleeps with DS and I sleep with DD.

To us, the beauty of DVC is being able to spread out and have more room. With a 2 BR, not only were our son and daughter able to sleep in separate beds, but they had their own bathroom as well. DH usually spends some time each day on business (yes, even on vacation), so he is able to get up early and do so in the living area without worrying about waking anyone.

We just scheduled our trips so that we were able to have the points available to reserve a 2BR and we're convinced that that is a lot of the reason why we all love our DVC so much!!! :cloud9:

hey when I was little on family trips - I slept with my mother and my brother slept with my father.

people aren't willing to do that these days.

mamatojon said:

this seemed directed at me so i will respond.

i never even went to wdw until i was 30. my parents had 5 kids and all we did was camp as well. that was if we even took a vacation. (and opposite sex kids did not sleep together.)

i do not expect my children to sleep together after a certain age. yes i could have one of them sleep on the floor but we fly and i'm not dragging extra stuff with me. and i really don't want one of them on the floor to be honest. hey it's their vacation too!

crazywig said:
this seemed directed at me so i will respond.

i never even went to wdw until i was 30. my parents had 5 kids and all we did was camp as well. that was if we even took a vacation. (and opposite sex kids did not sleep together.)

i do not expect my children to sleep together after a certain age. yes i could have one of them sleep on the floor but we fly and i'm not dragging extra stuff with me. and i really don't want one of them on the floor to be honest. hey it's their vacation too!

Sorry, I reread my post and it didn't come off the way I intended, it came off sounding snippy and as if I were putting down your way of doing things! I'm really very sorry about that. I meant it mostly like a "boy, I must be really weird" kind of thing - but I think I already knew that, LOL.

I honestly don't think I'll be asking my kids to do anything that they would feel very put out by, but I guess only time will tell.

And really, I'd bring the air mattress too - I wouldn't force them to sleep next to eachother, LOL. I just meant that I'm not renting them their own room or anything. I like the ideas about switching off sleeping on an aerobed - I just don't think I'll get involved in mediating their arguments about whose turn it is. :teeth:

Anyway, sorry to all of you, my post was hit and run kind of thing - my kids are still young and divert my attention often! :earseek:

No, you are not being really weird. I don't find anything unusual about a brother and sister sharing a bed on a trip - even as teenagers. I used to go traveling with some male friends and platonically shared beds a lot - into my twenties (I did bring my most unattractive granny jammies so no one got any ideas). It does sort of seem very luxurious to be able to put your kids in their own beds for vacation. We eventually will rent two bedrooms so they can have their own beds, but we will recognize how fortunate we are to be able to do that. And if there is a "things are tight" year and one of them ends up on an aerobed, its better than no WDW trip.

crisi said:
No, you are not being really weird. I don't find anything unusual about a brother and sister sharing a bed on a trip - even as teenagers. I used to go traveling with some male friends and platonically shared beds a lot - into my twenties (I did bring my most unattractive granny jammies so no one got any ideas). It does sort of seem very luxurious to be able to put your kids in their own beds for vacation. We eventually will rent two bedrooms so they can have their own beds, but we will recognize how fortunate we are to be able to do that. And if there is a "things are tight" year and one of them ends up on an aerobed, its better than no WDW trip.

As kids we always slept together, all nine cousins would pile in the tent and crash, we never thought twice about. I honestly didn't think it odd at all until I started reading these boards!! My kids are 13 (dd), and 6 (ds), they usually sleep together while at WDW, this will be the first trip that we are getting a 2 bedroom because our inlaws are joining us for a few days.

Just curious, what is the hangup with siblings sleeping together on vacation? Sure I would have issues with siblings sleeping together all the time at home :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: , but for a week while on vacation I don't have a problem with that at all.

Let's see, I slept in the bed with my brother until the last vacation he took with us when he was 18 and I was 13.

After that I slept with my step-mom and my dad slept with my step-brother. Probably because we're the same age and it just seemed wierd. I had slept in a bed with my older step-brother before at my dad's house.

When we go to Play paintball we pile them into the room 4to6 per room ( no flames please hotel knows before arrival) our ages range from 14 to 45 with some girls or wives mixed in.It's a bed and we do the 1 under 1 over the sheets thing.People get hung up on such things but father /son mother/daughter is also a common mix.

I personally would be uncomfortable with teens (or even close) of different genders sharing a bed. I've seen too many bad things happen even with sibs but esp with half and step sibs (or even step parents, uncles, grandparents etc). And it's always someone you would bet your life wouldn't do such a thing, so simply be very careful and don't make too many assumptions that might put your kids in a risky situation. And one could extend the concerns much younger, just the risk seem less.

I'd never make my kids share a bed...it creeps them out, so it creeps me out. I do wish WDW had more low-cost options for the opposite sex teens thing. Maybe more bunks, maybe some twinbed setups, more murphy beds, etc. Clearly it can be done...it's done on cruise ships, for goodness sake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter