2 Rooms at POR - Riverside or rent points

khaoskat

Mouseketeer
Ok, I think with all the math I have it narrowed down to the above two choices. I was considering AOA:FS, but really the price difference between it and the above are negligible (like around $100)...

We are a family of 6 (2 adults 4 kids ages 2-9). Doubt we spend much time in the room, more than to sleep or change and head to the pool (or in case of horrible rain or sickness)...

We can get connecting/adjoining POR rooms for our stay (September) for like $192/night/room. With tickets, it comes out to be about $4200. Only issue would be if we get there and they are unable to honor the adjoining/connecting rooms (although I have been assured on the phone that since it is mom/dad and 4 young kids it is basically guaranteed), what we would do.

We can also rent points, get slightly better tickets (water park fun n more package - not sure we will go for this option was just thinking that Disney Quest might be a fun activity for a rainy day time - so not sure how much we would use the other benefits/water parks of these tickets either)....and stay at Old Key West for about $4500.

Thoughts anyone...this is a first trip, so we are totally unfamiliar with anything.

Will the youngest be under 3 during your trip or at least on check in date? Someone more knowledgable may feel free to correct me, but I believe kids under 3 are not counted in the room max, since they can sleep in a crib (not necessary though). If this is true, you should be able to book just one room at POR, since they have rooms that sleep 5, but you'd have to opt for a Preferred Location room in order to guarantee you'd get the trundle bed. Does this make sense? If the youngest will be over 3 then this plan is useless, unless it happens that they could pass for 2 & 3/4 yr old ;) Of course if budget isn't an issue this wouldn't be your ideal plan, the connecting rooms would be good, I just would hate paying for two rooms knowing my family could fit in one & save me a lot of $$$ in doing so. Hope this helped!

Why not look into the family suites. I think they have them at the art of animation. One bedroom suite can fit up to six comfortably.:)

I have considered the Family Suites at AOA. But, when doing the math, the difference between 2 rooms at POR and a Family Suite AOA is almost nothing, especially when taking into consideration having to upgrade to the regular Dining Plan vs the Quick Services one. Like I said above, I think it is maybe $100.

Right now we are kind of leaning towards renting points, because you get so much more room at OKW than you do at POR or AOA in the room.

They stated in OP that they looked at the FS but price point was same or negligible to that of adjoining rooms @ POR. I agree that if price is going to be about same, I'd want more room for my money (sleep 8 vs 6). I had another thought on this regarding renting points - what are your travel dates? It's been leaked that Disney will offer free dining in sept, thru 25th. So if you go with POR, either adjoining or just one room, you could get free dining if your check in is on or before 25th. You can not get this promo if renting points, it's only available if you buy a package direct from Disney - room, tix & add dining. So that may be something else to consider if you're comparing POR vs DVC points.

Ok, I think with all the math I have it narrowed down to the above two choices. I was considering AOA:FS, but really the price difference between it and the above are negligible (like around $100)...

We are a family of 6 (2 adults 4 kids ages 2-9). Doubt we spend much time in the room, more than to sleep or change and head to the pool (or in case of horrible rain or sickness)...

We can get connecting/adjoining POR rooms for our stay (September) for like $192/night/room. With tickets, it comes out to be about $4200. Only issue would be if we get there and they are unable to honor the adjoining/connecting rooms (although I have been assured on the phone that since it is mom/dad and 4 young kids it is basically guaranteed), what we would do.

We can also rent points, get slightly better tickets (water park fun n more package - not sure we will go for this option was just thinking that Disney Quest might be a fun activity for a rainy day time - so not sure how much we would use the other benefits/water parks of these tickets either)....and stay at Old Key West for about $4500.

Thoughts anyone...this is a first trip, so we are totally unfamiliar with anything.

Staying at OKW would certainly give you a lot more room as well as guarantee everyone was together. I also wanted to mention that the assurance you received from the CM about connecting or adjoining rooms is not correct. The only time they are guaranteed is when there is 1 adult to several children where the number of people would exceed occupancy for 1 room (and even under those conditions, I have read reports that connecting rooms didn't happen). In your case, the adults can be split up in separate rooms. With that said, your chances are pretty good that you will get connecting rooms, but there is the slight chance that connecting rooms will not be available when you check in and you will be in 2 non-connecting rooms. Good luck and happy planning :).

Keep in mind if you rent points you are not eligible for the Free Dining if you are going in September.

Not sure if you're considering a 1 or 2 bedroom villa at OKW, but either way, you'd have a full kitchen, a washer/dryer and jacuzzi tub in the villa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter