2 Questions about WHEN to eat?

comax

Earning My Ears
You hear it all the time.....DONT EAT AFTER A CERTAIN TIME! It makes sense but I like eating when I watch TV (at 10 at night)! Do you think eating late is really bad? I am currently doing WW (its working fine) just wondering if WW has any input on that!

Also, eating before the gym? I go every morning at 9.....I ususally dont eat because I am running around getting kids ready but.....when I do have time to eat and then go to gym (I dont feel the difference) and see that I burned the calories I ate, that kinda feels good! lol if the anwser is yes eat before workout then how long before?

As far as the no eating after a certain time at night-I've heard differing views on this but the one that made sense was that calories are calories no matter if it's 6 pm or 9 pm. If you're working out, you're burning calories that you already ingested, right? I don't think the body knows (or cares) when you ingested them.

I have to eat before I go to the gym. I eat a bowl of the old fashioned oatmeal with honey, blueberries and raisins, a cup of coffee and a glass of OJ about 30-45 minutes before my workout. The only thing I'm considering changing is not taking my vitamins with my OJ. I've noticed that during tougher workouts they make me a little queasy. If I forget to take them, I feel fine.

I would eat something before hitting the gym. When you wake up you have been fasting for the duration of your sleep. Breakfast comes from literally breaking the fast that happens over night. I wouldn't go to the gym on a totally empty stomach but a banana or a meal bar is all that is really needed. Also important after waking up is to drink water. You naturally dehydrate while you sleep and it is good to get a nice tall glass before drinking the inevitable coffee most of us do, which is a diuretic.

I am not really good about the night time eating thing but that is usually because of the schedule I keep. The thing that jumped out at me was the eating while watching TV thing. If you are eating because you are hungry that is fine. If you are eating as a habit because in your mind it goes with watching TV, not so much. I try to eat something high in fiber and protein as opposed to processed carbs late at night. A really good thing to think about is to have a helping of a fiber drink like metamucil and some casein protein late at night. The fiber will make you feel full (along with all the water you drink with it) and the casein protein forms a gel in the stomach so it is absorbed more slowly. This will help with the fast I spoke about earlier.

I am a believer in many small meals throughout the day. I have almonds, meal bars, dried fruit, and stuff like that with me at work so I can graze. More important then eating before the gym from a workout point of view is eating right after. I take a protein shake with me because you will want 20-30 grams of good protein within 30 minutes of the workout. There is a common misconception that you build muscle while you life weights. You build muscle after you lift weights as your body repairs the micro damage that the resistance cause in your muscle fiber. You will need protein to accomplish this.

the most important thing is to listen to your body. if you are eating at night because you are actually hungry, i don't think that's a bad thing, as long as it's nutritionally redeeming of course. it also depends on your schedule. for me for example - one night a week i do weights, and then i'll swim from 8:30-9:15 and by the time i get dressed, get back to my apt, it's already 10 pm..and then i'm usually up for another 2 hours (curse of the curly hair) it would be absurd for me to not eat anything after my swim just because its "late" at night.

also the gym in the morning it really depends on your body. for me personally, i HAVE to eat before a run, and it needs to be somewhat substantial. i tried doing the smaller under 100 calorie snack and i had to cut my run short because i was so naseaous and felt like i was going to pass out. i'm still experimenting since i only run/gym in the mornings when i have to, but i did a small horizon valley yogurt and a half of banana about 20 minutes before and that seemed to settle fine and i was able to get through my run. i try to avoid bars at all cost. i think "real" food is more nutritionally redeeming and better quality...and it just tastes better.

at the end of the day, as long as you are hitting the proper amount of calories you need each day and aren't going over you should be ok. it's really more what you eat, and how much you are eating that matters most...not when you are eating it.

i have to eat at least an hour before I run or I get nauseated, so be careful and try and figure out what your body needs and when in order to function. You will have more energy to workout f you eat something good before a workout. I drink a smoothie with protein powder ad it gives me a lot of energy. good luck!

thanks all! gonna listen more to my body and experiment.... I tend not to eat before the gym. This is not done intentionally but just cause I am so busy with kids and head straight for the gym. I havent noticed any negative thus far but I also dont know anything else or can compare it to eating before gym. So, this morning I am gonna eat (right now, its about hour and half before workout) and see if I have a btter workout and/or anything is different. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter