2 Mac Quests, 1 Mac Rally Twin or Graco Duo Glider

DVCinderella

I'll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls!
I am really stressing over the stroller issue for our upcoming trip...please help me decide. We already have a Graco Duo Glider for our twins. It's our everyday stroller, and we also took it to WDW twice last year. It sustained minor damage in baggage (rips to the cushey padding on the handles). And from normal everyday use, the red clip that holds it closed when folded broke (cheap piece of plastic). It's now a pain to lift into the car because it won't stay closed.

I've read a lot of rave reviews for the Maclaren strollers on the Dis. DH and I took the kids to Buy Buy Baby yesterday and tried out the Macs. I thought for sure I would love the Techno XT...mostly because we are tall. The Techno is the only Mac stroller with adjustable handle height (41-44"). But I ended up really liking the Quest. The 41" handle height felt fine, and I liked the grip on the Quest handles better than the Techno.

So now that I know what model I like, I'm back to debating over whether or not to get 2 single Quests, or 1 double Rally Twin. I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking whether I should get 2 singles or 1 double, and most responses said 2 singles. I can understand the benefit of this while we're at WDW...DH and I can split up, and each take 1 child. Plus, 2 single strollers are easier to maneuver through crowds than a side-by-side double.

However, I don't want to invest this kind of money in 2 single strollers just for WDW...I want to be able to use the stroller at home. Since most of the time I have the kids by myself during the day, a double stroller makes more sense. I know I can buy those Lionheart stroller connectors to connect 2 single strollers, but do I really want that hassle every day? It's much easier to snap open 1 double stroller, than open 2 single ones and have to put 3 connectors on it.

What should I do?
1) 2 Quests
2) 1 Rally Twin
3) Just keep using the Duo Glider

I'm starting to dislike the Duo Glider. It served it's purpose over the last year, but it's bulky and heavy, and now with the broken clip, a royal pain. DH said, "Why buy new expensive strollers just to see them get banged up on the plane?" But to avoid the damage the Duo Glider sustained, I would definitely buy a travel bag for the Mac. There are two benefits I can see to sticking with the Duo Glider:

1) It's a tandem...is that easier to maneuver through crowds than the side-by-side Mac?
2) It's already seen some wear and tear, so I wouldn't have to buy a travel bag.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would go with a double. My twins are now 12, but all I ever took to WDW was a double side by side and never had any issues getting through crowds. In fact, I would say I didn't notice any difference between the double and the single we used for our youngest dd. Plus, what if you and DH split up for some reason - ie getting food, Fast Passes, etc?

I know you can order parts from the Graco web site, I had to order a clip for our Graco side by side. Maybe you could look into that as well. I used our Graco until the wheels literally fell off!

You don't say how old your twins are so how much longer will you need a stroller? I went through 3 different strollers before the girls turned 4. I took my peds advice to heart and never let them out of the stroller! He is also a father of twins so I figured he knew what he was talking about. :teeth:

Good luck with your decision and have a great trip!

I too am starting to have concerns about my Graco Dual Rider.. I have twins that will be 2 Sept 18th... We are planning on WDW for the 3rd birthday.. The Graco is quite heavy and I think putting it on and off the bus will become quite a pain.. I am thinking about going to 2 single strollers with high handles for our trip.. Can't do the small umbrella strollers, it would kill my back..

How old are your twins? Do you really want to invest money in something they might not be in much longer? Theres really no guarantee you could get your money back when your done with it.

If you don't want to invest in another stroller, you could use a bungee cord to strap the graco together. And I agree that the red clip is quite flemsy and cheap.. I am waiting for the day that ours break off.

We went to Babies R Us a few weeks ago, and they had a wonderful double jogging stroller on sale. I really thought about getting that one, but than I thought to myself how much longer are they going to be in a stroller.

But I agree, I try to keep them in a stroller as long as possible.. It's hard to be tracking down to midsize babies.. And it's a pain when ones on the run..

Good luck with what ever you decide.......

Thanks for the great responses. My twins will be 20-months-old at the time of our trip, so if I buy a new stroller, I should be able to get quite a bit of use out of it.

I checked out the parts list that was included in the Graco owner's manual, and the little red clip is not offered. I guess I should call them and see if there's any way I can get one.

Thanks again for the advice...I'll concentrate my efforts on finding a good double!

I had this exact question several months ago, except my boys are 2 and 4. We are leaving for Disney on Wednesday, we already have a tandem stroller like the DuoGlider (an Evenflo Take Me Too tandem). It's 2 years old and has lasted well all this time, so I can't complain too much. But man is that thing heavy! Not only to push, but to fold, to carry, to do anything! And the max weight per child is 40 pounds, and my 4yo is pushing that. He still likes the stroller, and is willing to sit in it. And at Disney, every child is willing to sit in a stroller at some point in time, trust me. I did not relish the idea of hauling that thing around Disney though. It's a 35 pound stroller, with a 38 pound 4yo and 32 pound 2yo in it! I was getting quite the workout using it to walk my 65 pound golden retriever in the 90 degree Georgia heat.

So, I had finally convinced myself (and my DH) to buy something new even though my boys are already 2 and 4. However, that made me narrow my search to Macs since they have a 55 pound weight limit unlike most other strollers with a 40 or 45 pound limit. I didn't want a jogger since one of my criteria was "easy to fold and carry on busses" and joggers are not usually that.

In terms of 2 singles versus a double, I too had considered the idea that we would want to split up. Especially with the age difference. My 2yo might be taking a nap, and then DH could take the 4yo off to ride rides while I stayed with the napping 2yo. However, this was my theory on taking a double instead. If the 4yo decides to walk, then each adult is pushing a stroller, while one of us also has to keep track of the child walking. It's better to only have one adult pushing a stroller, and the other adult free to keep track of loose children! At least that is my thought. We'll see how it works out next week!

I ended up buying a 2005 Mac Rally Twin on ebay for $185 including shipping. I was watching the auctions and even the used Rallys were still going for $130-140. I figure I can use it for a year or two, and still sell it and get some money back. Maybe not all of my money, but I'll have used it for 2 years, so I couldn't expect a 100% return, after all, right? I kept the box in the attic to make it easier to ship when the time comes!

It's really nice. Easy to push, very easy to fold up and carry. The baskets are a little small but that is not unexpected. Each basket is suppose to carry up to 4 pounds. The hoods also have a pocket on the back big enough for keys, camera, water bottle, etc., that is only suppose to hold 1 pound. Each hood goes up and down separately which is nice. They do recline pretty fully (probably not enough for a newborn though). The seat depth is a little narrow compared to the Traveller/Techno, but I also didn't want to pay the extra $100 for it either. So far, I have been very happy with it and I'll post back after our trip to tell you how it held up to Disney!

We are driving so thankfully don't have to worry about the airlines damaging it however.

We are going next week and I'll let you know how it goes! Here is where I got the stroller on Ebay. I probably would have seriously considered the Combi Twin Savvy if I didn't have to worry about the individual seat weight limit. My friend has it, and it's really nice.

http://stores.ebay.com/Welcome-to-Babysurplus

Hi tinasquirrel,

Thanks for the great reply! I've been watching Ebay closely as well, and I know what you mean about the resale value of the Macs. It really surprised me what people can get for them second-hand, especially if they are a recent model.

You bring up a good point about one child sleeping, while the other is up and about. In that scenario, it would be much better to have the double.

I saw an ad in a local paper for a 2006 Twin Traveller, which apparently didn't work out for the owner, and now she's selling it. She has two boys -- a newborn and a 2-year-old, and the toddler apparently doesn't want to be in the stroller with the baby. She said she's used the stroller maybe 5 times. I'm going to take a look at it Sunday, and decide if it's worth the asking price. She's asking a firm $250 (it retails new for $360).

Thank you so much for offering to follow up after your trip. I look forward to your review of the Mac at WDW!

$250 is a good price (for a Twin Techno, I'm assuming you mean since you said 2006?), if it's in excellent like new condition. She's only used it 5 times and has already given it up? Hmmm....wonder what the toddler is doing to the baby in the stroller, LOL!? My boys love sitting next to each other in the Rally Twin. But they are older now, 4 and 2, and like to play together. The Techno has bigger wheels (6" instead of 4.5") and I think it has a longer seat depth, but nice extras. And if you bought it locally, you wouldn't have to pay shipping! Good luck!

I don't know anything about the Mac but I do know the Graco. I have one and HATE it. It stays in the garage unused, I should just donate it. Heavy, bulky, does not stay closed, hard to steer at times, YUK!! I say get the new one and pitch the Graco you want to have a good easy time without having to fight with your stroller all the time.

We've gone with a side by side double and with 2 singles. Unless you are going during a super super crowded time (IE Christmas week) the side by side will be fine. We've done both ways twice and had no problem with either. We did make the choice to take 2 singles when we were going Christmas week but that is when crowds are a definite factor. For non holiday weeks, a side by side double won't be a big issue. Especially not one like a Rally Twin, Twin Traveller or Twin Techno that folds up pretty compact for the busses. I would not bring a tandem double. Just my personal preference but the steering is not so great on those so I wouldn't want that in the crowds. Give me a wider stroller over a longer on in crowds any day! Too easy for people not paying attention to trip over the front seat. :rolleyes: Plus the tandems are so heavy and bulky. I just prefer the side by sides. I got rid of my tandem Graco as soon as my youngest outgrew the infant carrier (about 4 months old).

Another stroller to take a look at is the Chicco Citta Twin stroller. This is what I bought before a trip where I was taking my sons (then 2 and 4) by myself to meet up with a friend and her daughters (same ages). MUCH cheaper than a Mac. I was really happy with it. I sold it on craigslist for $85 about 18 months after I bought it. Probably could have gotten more for it but at that point I just wanted it gone! LOL

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Tinasquirrel, you were right...I meant the Twin Techno, not the Twin Traveller. I went to take a look at it Sunday, and it was in excellent condition. It was the 2006 Twin Techno in crimson...the exact color I was looking for! If I found a good deal on another color, I decided not to be a hold-out for the crimson...so it was a bonus that she had it in that color. She was asking a firm $250, and I didn't bother haggling...I was just happy that it looked as new as the ad described.

We took it for a test run when we got home, and DS and DD were very excited about their new "wheels" :yay: :yay: . They seemed fine sitting next to each other...hope that lasts. The Mac is noticeably lighter than the Graco, and easier to maneuver. DH thought I was crazy for buying another stroller, but when I got it home, I think he was surprised that the side-by-side wasn't as wide and awkward as he anticipated. I think we will both enjoy using the Mac at WDW. Thanks again to everyone for helping me sort through the stroller madness!

We took our new Twin Rally to Disney last week with our 2yo and 4yo boys. The crowds were very light, so that obviously has an effect, but we thought it worked great. The side by side quality was no issue at all. And since it is so manueverable, compared to our old Evenflo tandem, it was actually easier to negotiate crowds. Ours is the 2005 model in a bright blue color. The bright blue was actually pretty rare, which made it easier to locate in the stroller parking. The kids were very comfortable. We only used the seat belts for in the parking lot. Otherwise, we just let them climb in on their own (which was convenient), and that allowed them to get in and out when they wanted to see something or walk. It only took the 2yo a few times of getting run over with the stroller to realize that he had to wait for it to stop before he was allowed to get out. :)

My DH did most of the folding, carrying when necessary. The only annoying thing I would say is that you have to take the stuff out of the baskets when you fold it up. Which I dare say is probably pretty common to all strollers. You can leave the stuff in the little back pockets on the hoods. We didn't put too much in the bottom baskets anyway, so it wasn't too big of a deal. I had a ziploc on one side filled with extra clothes. So easy to just grab (actually that one was okay to remain in there since it was flat and not bulky). Then on the other side, I kept a grocery bag filled with some snacks, diapers and wipes. Having it in a grocery bag made it easier to just grab when it was time to fold the stroller. It also helped protect those items if we got caught in the rain. I forgot to bring my rain cover, so can't comment on that. We luckily did fine without it. It folded and unfolded easily, and easily locked so that it wouldn't come unfolded when transporting it. It also has a carrying handle built in on the side to make carrying it easier. It's a bit heavy for me, I think it's 26 pounds, but certainly do-able over short distances like up into the bus. It was no problem for my DH of course. We just took the kids out of the stroller, I would help them both on the bus, while DH took care of the stroller. Sometimes, he'd throw me one of the bags in the bottom baskets to be in charge of. Otherwise, I was only carrying a fanny pack, so I had my hands free.

The stroller is pretty narrow, so it was a little bit hard for the boys to carry things in their laps (sippies, snacks, toys). They are used to our bigger stroller where they can set their sippie next to them in the seat. No room for that in the side-by-side. However, because of that, it is narrow enough to fit in every doorway we tried to negotiate. We never had a problem with the width of the stroller.

The only other negative I can think of is the stroller seat covers. They kept getting loose and sliding down when the boys would get in and out on their own. They are held in place with long pieces of velcro in the back and it doesn't really do too good of a job IMO. However, it certainly wasn't a deal breaker for me! Just one of those little annoyances.

Overall, we loved the stroller. It navigated very well over all the sidewalks, etc. at Disney. It only has 4.5" wheels, so wouldn't really work over rough terrain, but there isn't too much "rough" at Disney, LOL! I'm really happy I bought the stroller, it worked perfectly for our trip!

DSCF0829web.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm glad you got the Twin Techno! A few months ago, I bought a brand new 2005 Twin Traveler on ebay for $160 plus shipping ($180 total). AWESOME deal. I got REALLY lucky! It is a great stroller! I have a soon to be 5 year old and a 1 year old. I bought it for trips to the mall and of course, trips to WDW!!! It's a bit heavy (I had the Aria Twin when my 1 year old was just born and boy, was that thing LIGHT!!!...but it had many other things wrong with it, so it got returned) but the Mac Double is VERY sturdy and handles pretty good. It folds up pretty compact so DH can hold it on the trams and busses!

I wouldn't worry about navigating the crowds with a side-by-side. Like another poster said, unless it's a holiday week, you should have NO trouble at all. And just think...if you had two singles, you would have to fold up both strollers and hold both of your kids with all of your stuff.... :crazy: too much hassle! This way, one of you can hold the folded stroller and the other can hold the kids.

So glad you got a great deal! BEST OF LUCK WITH IT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter