2 kids in chairs and 1 adult- how do you work it?

I think the MT4 is approximately the same size as the DynaMo (huge/heavy in my opinion). I dont have my notes home but I think the MT4 can not use digital images- you might want a light tech system in addition to the high tech one so that you can get info from him about disney specific things- I know no voice output but there are definitely things about characters and rides that he should have access to.

A swing away mount would be easier than taking the tray on and off for transfers.

If it is decided that the dynavox is too risky, there are voice output systems that are cheaper and simpler (non-dynamic display) that could be considered. You could probably get one from the school district/lending program if needed as well (depends who got the device in the first place). It's another option to consider.

Hi.

My son uses the MT4 and it is capable of using digital pictures in jpeg format as either background or on a communication button.

You can also print out the exact screens that he uses on paper and take them with you as a low tech format, which is what we do. Maybe you could do a trial with printed out pages, he might be more comfortable if he can use screens/sheets he is familiar with. Of course it would not have the auditory feedback or the dynamic screen changes.

If you are thinking of taking this device to the parks, you would want to make sure that the device locks to the mount, and that the mount locks to the chair. For example, the mount my son uses is capable of lifting directly away from the wheelchair and the mount weighs less than 10 pounds, so someone could easily walk off with both the device and the mount.

To the OP, I'm glad you found someone to go with you to help.

Hi.

My son uses the MT4 and it is capable of using digital pictures in jpeg format as either background or on a communication button.

You can also print out the exact screens that he uses on paper and take them with you as a low tech format, which is what we do. Maybe you could do a trial with printed out pages, he might be more comfortable if he can use screens/sheets he is familiar with. Of course it would not have the auditory feedback or the dynamic screen changes.

If you are thinking of taking this device to the parks, you would want to make sure that the device locks to the mount, and that the mount locks to the chair. For example, the mount my son uses is capable of lifting directly away from the wheelchair and the mount weighs less than 10 pounds, so someone could easily walk off with both the device and the mount.

To the OP, I'm glad you found someone to go with you to help.
Good points. I had forgotten about the ability to print the pages out. That wouldn't work for link or command pages, but would work well for communications buttons.

Also, if it is a manual wheelchair, you need to make sure that the weight of the communication device on the chair doesn't make it unstable. For example; My DD has a backpack on her wheelchair. When we are using her manual wheelchair and take her out of it, the chair tips backward slightly from the weight of the backpack (she has antitippers to keep it from tipping entirely backwards).

I found this which may not be appropriate in your situation but it seems good for people who have older kids who need to sit but also have a baby.

Stand ’n Ride Duo Stroller™

Product: : L5344
Find a Retailer

Price: $150.00

Designed especially for active families, with 4 different modes that fit your everyday needs! Easy to convert from mode-to-mode, with flexible seating options for one or two passengers, an extra large, expandable storage basket, organizer console with cup holder, retractable shade canopy, machine washable padded seat, Active Gear™ accessory bag attachment clips, and more great features for your on-the-go lifestyle! Part of the Active Gear line of family products and accessories.

1. Infant seat latch system conveniently secures baby in the comfort of their own car seat. *

2. Active gear with extra room when your family needs it! Traditional stroller seating with an expandable, extra large storage basket, plus snack/toy tray, 3-point safety harness, and more!

3. Stroller seating up front, ride-along platform in the back!

4. Converts to seating for two, with a jump seat for the bigger kids in your family!

Maximum weight for the front seat is 40 lbs. (18 kg)

Maximum weight for the rear seat or platform is 50 lbs.
(23 kg)

Use the platform or rear seat only with a child who is able to get on and off without help and is able to hold onto the handgrips (approximately 2½ years old)
*Compatible with most Fisher-Price®, Britax® and Graco® infant car seats. Go to www.service.fisher-price.com for a complete list, or call 1-800-432-5437.

If the stroller is appropriate i think with a gac it is doable alone. BUT I would say help would be needed for potty breaks and rides that are 2 seaters. You are an awesome aunt ad mommy for doing this :)

http://www.joggingstroller.com/Mountain-Buggy-Urban-Double.pro#specs

Mountain Buggy Urban Double 2007 stroller
Specs
Capacity 2 Children
Maximum Weight Capacity 120 lbs.
Stroller Weight 35 lbs.
Front Wheel Size 12"

Dimensions
Width 29"
Ground to Handle 32" - 42"
Stroller Length 42"
Seat Back 21"
Hip to Knee 10"
Knee to Foot 9"
Folded Dimensions 29 x 43 x 12"

Infant Car Seat Compatibility
Fits Graco Snugride

Wow.. it's unfortunate your trip wasn't to Florida..

I think that you'd be able to get some assistance (a volunteer helper for example) from the Give the Kids The World organization there.. I don't know for sure cause I'm not sure how they work.. But..

Is there something like that for Disneyland? Maybe they could help arrange some volunteer assistance.

J

there a great web site for pictures acually there are a lot of them but most of them are booked marked on my computer in my classroom....but....
www.do2learn.com they have a bunch of pictures already laid out in pages or you can print them out single for specific pictures needed....and its free! ive used this page to make communication books for some of my students and it works pretty well just mount it on like cardboard and use clear packing tape to seal it....its pretty low tech but it works...(this was before i got boardmaker for my class)

when I get back to school on monday i can post some other sites if people would like...

Jill

I also commend you for taking 2 to DL in wheel chairs. My husband and I have 4 children in wheel chairs and we visit WDW every December/January for about 3 weeks. Most of the time we are there we have no one to push the chairs except us. We have become experts at pushing two wheel chairs each.
This last visit proved a little more difficult because they did not have the
"special" bus to accomodate 4 chairs as they did in 2005. So we each had to take 2 chairs on two seperate buses and meet up at the park we were visiting. Not fun, but it worked O.K.

Another option for you would be to rent a double stroller for the children.
They can lay back in them and would probably be more comfortable than
regular adult style strollers.

Good Luck and God Bless You.

Judy and the 4 special Angels:love:

Just to wish you a really good time. I know how tricky it can be pushing two at once. Last year I had one child in a wheelchair and a toddler in a stroller. Just getting out of the front door of my house was hard enough. So I really admire your strength and determination.
We went to Disneyland Paris last year and found people were really helpful and kind. Also although my kid in the wheelchair could get out and walk to rides we did not encounter any negative comments like some people on the board have mentioned.

Since a second adult is now going, could you load onto the ride, but use the child swap? One adult rides (after loading assistance) and the other watches the valuables?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter