2 Guns found by security this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting back to the two stories I'm kind of shocked the woman thought it was a good idea to carry her pistol in a back pack loaded. I mean at least the guy was properly carrying his. Sure it was in a holster in the backpack but that doesn't mean it couldn't have misfired and injured somebody.

A Taurus 738 couldn't just "misfire" while holstered in a backpack. The odds of it "misfiring" even unholstered in a backpack full of other junk jostling around is practically zero. A samsung phone would be about a million times more dangerous.

That said, she shouldn't have had it anyway.

Take it with a grain of salt here-

None of my friends who own guns take it into places like restaurants and other businesses (it is left in their cars if they bring it with them) nor would they even think to bring it to a theme/amusement park.

And I'm not trying to judge here the people from the various incidents in the last year or so but those friends mentioned above are very responsible gun owners.

Why bring the guns with them at all if they're not going to carry them anywhere?

If a responsible gun owner means you lock your gun up and don't touch it then a responsible driver must be someone who never takes their car out of the garage, since obviously that's the safest way to drive. You're about 2.8 billion times more likely to need a gun in a restaurant or other business than you are to need it locked up in your vehicle or left at home. What they are doing is leaving their safety in the care of all of those "irresponsible" police who do carry their guns into restaurants and other businesses and usually have a 5 - 10 minute response time depending on your location.

That said, it's absolutely their choice to carry or not carry a gun and honestly, I don't care either way because it's their choice. But I'm not understanding what makes them "very responsible". Is it because they've never shot someone if it wasn't on purpose? They've never shot themselves or shot a hole in their house when they were cleaning their guns? They haven't accidentally left their gun laying around so somebody's kid could play with them? If that's all it takes to make someone "very responsible" then there are a few million "very responsible" gun owners out there that carry their guns into all kinds of restaurants and businesses all over the country.

Why bring the guns with them at all if they're not going to carry them anywhere?

If a responsible gun owner means you lock your gun up and don't touch it then a responsible driver must be someone who never takes their car out of the garage, since obviously that's the safest way to drive. You're about 2.8 billion times more likely to need a gun in a restaurant or other business than you are to need it locked up in your vehicle or left at home. What they are doing is leaving their safety in the care of all of those "irresponsible" police who do carry their guns into restaurants and other businesses and usually have a 5 - 10 minute response time depending on your location.

That said, it's absolutely their choice to carry or not carry a gun and honestly, I don't care either way because it's their choice. But I'm not understanding what makes them "very responsible". Is it because they've never shot someone if it wasn't on purpose? They've never shot themselves or shot a hole in their house when they were cleaning their guns? They haven't accidentally left their gun laying around so somebody's kid could play with them? If that's all it takes to make someone "very responsible" then there are a few million "very responsible" gun owners out there that carry their guns into all kinds of restaurants and businesses all over the country.

Here we go the vigilante justice I was talking about. Sorry at a place like Disney World I don't want another guest to be the one that gets into a shoot out with anyone even if they are a "bad guy".
I mean I know in Texas you can get your conceal carry permit with an hour on a shooting range and a safety course. That's it. To me that doesn't equal the ability to be calm and collected in an emergency situation and have the accuracy in a crowded theme park. I'd rather take my chances with the unmarked security guards and Orange County.

Now with a business or restaurant or whatever if they have posted that it is a no carry zone then a responsible person respects that. I don't care if you think you need to be the next hero or whatever.

Here we go the vigilante justice I was talking about. Sorry at a place like Disney World I don't want another guest to be the one that gets into a shoot out with anyone even if they are a "bad guy".
I mean I know in Texas you can get your conceal carry permit with an hour on a shooting range and a safety course. That's it. To me that doesn't equal the ability to be calm and collected in an emergency situation and have the accuracy in a crowded theme park. I'd rather take my chances with the unmarked security guards and Orange County.

Now with a business or restaurant or whatever if they have posted that it is a no carry zone then a responsible person respects that. I don't care if you think you need to be the next hero or whatever.

I didn't say anything about bringing a gun into Disney, in fact in the post above I stated that the lady shouldn't have brought her gun in, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't make any further poor attempts to put words into my mouth. When you were speaking about your "very responsible" friends not bringing their guns into restaurants or other businesses you didn't state that those were places that they were restricted from carrying by the business owners, so you should probably learn to clarify your statements a little better.

In response to "vigilante justice", you have a very skewed outlook on people who carry handguns. I'm not looking to be the "next hero or whatever", I'm going to protect myself and my family and get out of there. You and your responsible friends will be on your own to find your own hero to save you cause I ain't your guy.

Good luck with that!

Take it with a grain of salt here-

None of my friends who own guns take it into places like restaurants and other businesses (it is left in their cars if they bring it with them) nor would they even think to bring it to a theme/amusement park.

And I'm not trying to judge here the people from the various incidents in the last year or so but those friends mentioned above are very responsible gun owners.

BIG like.

I also have a MI CCW. My wife and I visit Disney twice per year..... and for MANY reasons? I would never THINK of bringing a firearm there.

First? Disney does not like this.... and it's THEIR Park, not mine :).
Second? Disney does a very GOOD job of managing security. I really don't personally think that I could do BETTER. "Security" is tough.... it's somewhere between "shoot everyone: they MIGHT be a threat", and "Don't worry, be happy". A damn tough job. Disney MAY not be perfect - neither is homeland security. Balancing Safety, and a good Vacation is a VERY tough job.

Now - my PERSONAL outlook? It follows the oath that Doctors take: "Do no Harm". I would rather die than harm an innocent. And WDW has a LOT of innocents within the Parks - children.

Which brings up my LAST point: It's a nightmare scenario for a licensed Gun owner.... or a POLICE Officer.

Heavily crowded park. LOTS of Children running around. You have a legitimate issue, covered by Law. Shoot? Don't Shoot? What is just BEHIND the aggressor? Was there another way to address this?

Folks - our POLICE agonize over these issues EVERY DAY.... and it's their JOB. We have a CCW - great. HOW would you feel if you killed that little girl in a Cinderella outfit, just by "missing" ? How do you imagine a POLICE OFFICER would feel? This is a Golden Opportunity to let the POLICE do their job. Your best weapon is your CELLPHONE. Dial 911, and refuse to be "Batman".

Just me.... I would NOT want to be the person that killed a child at WDW, over a perceived problem, by missing my target. I'm 64, and if I get "hit"? Better ME than some wonderful 8 year old in a Cinderella outfit. All personal opinion.... and congrats to the Orange County Police that FACE these issues on a regular basis. This is a true nightmare job - and you handle it well.

RESPONSIBLE authorized firearm carriers just would not DO this sort of thing.

BIG like.

I also have a MI CCW. My wife and I visit Disney twice per year..... and for MANY reasons? I would never THINK of bringing a firearm there.

First? Disney does not like this.... and it's THEIR Park, not mine :).
Second? Disney does a very GOOD job of managing security. I really don't personally think that I could do BETTER. "Security" is tough.... it's somewhere between "shoot everyone: they MIGHT be a threat", and "Don't worry, be happy". A damn tough job. Disney MAY not be perfect - neither is homeland security. Balancing Safety, and a good Vacation is a VERY tough job.

Now - my PERSONAL outlook? It follows the oath that Doctors take: "Do no Harm". I would rather die than harm an innocent. And WDW has a LOT of innocents within the Parks - children.

Which brings up my LAST point: It's a nightmare scenario for a licensed Gun owner.... or a POLICE Officer.

Heavily crowded park. LOTS of Children running around. You have a legitimate issue, covered by Law. Shoot? Don't Shoot? What is just BEHIND the aggressor? Was there another way to address this?

Folks - our POLICE agonize over these issues EVERY DAY.... and it's their JOB. We have a CCW - great. HOW would you feel if you killed that little girl in a Cinderella outfit, just by "missing" ? How do you imagine a POLICE OFFICER would feel? This is a Golden Opportunity to let the POLICE do their job. Your best weapon is your CELLPHONE. Dial 911, and refuse to be "Batman".

Just me.... I would NOT want to be the person that killed a child at WDW, over a perceived problem, by missing my target. I'm 64, and if I get "hit"? Better ME than some wonderful 8 year old in a Cinderella outfit. All personal opinion.... and congrats to the Orange County Police that FACE these issues on a regular basis. This is a true nightmare job - and you handle it well.

RESPONSIBLE authorized firearm carriers just would not DO this sort of thing.
Very much agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter