2 "foodies" need suggestions

Forevryoung

DIS Veteran
My Disney trip with my little cousin has been changed to include my mom instead. So I need to revamp my ADRs considerably!

I changed my stay to the Beach Club for the long weekend trip (3 nights) to take advantage of the location.

So far we have:

Spoodles for dinner (before Jellyrolls!) and Crystal Palace at 8:10am to just enjoy the magic (it was an absolute thrill doing it my last trip).

I'm looking for 2 more moderately priced non-buffet restaurants with good food for our Epcot and MK days. Any ideas?

Well I always say Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Teppen Edo, Chefs de France or Rose and Crown. Would have added Spoodles but see you have it. The moderately priced of this bunch would be Rose and Crown try for a 7:40 seating and you will be taken outside at dessert time to see Illuminations and Teppen Edo. Also like Kona Cafe in Poly. All are non-buffet.

Well I always say Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Teppen Edo, Chefs de France or Rose and Crown. Would have added Spoodles but see you have it. The moderately priced of this bunch would be Rose and Crown try for a 7:40 seating and you will be taken outside at dessert time to see Illuminations and Teppen Edo. Also like Kona Cafe in Poly. All are non-buffet.

Thanks, Le Cellier is booked and so is Teppen Edo. I'll look into Coral Reef and Chefs de France. Rose and Crown's menu is too limited for mom.

And I don't like the change in Kona's menu, nothing there interests me- I wanted to eat there before the change though!

Thanks, Le Cellier is booked and so is Teppen Edo. I'll look into Coral Reef and Chefs de France. Rose and Crown's menu is too limited for mom.

And I don't like the change in Kona's menu, nothing there interests me- I wanted to eat there before the change though!

At Spoodles I had the Red Snapper and thought it was great, at Coral Reef me and DW the last 3 times each got the NY strip and thought that was very good. As you can see most of the place we like are in EPCOT and we also like San Angle but that may be closed for renovations. We have had luck getting Le Cellier every trip but we always call 180 but I guess now 90 days out and take it for Dinner on what ever night we can get it and work all other ADR's around it.

Hey Forevryoung!

I was reading your message and I have one question ... you said you tried Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Teppen Edo and two were booked. Maybe I'm cheap but you asked for "moderately priced" restaurants and I do not consider Le Cellier or Teppen Edo to be moderately priced.

Honestly, I am at a loss for either park when you cross off buffets and what is booked-up already, plus you were looking for table service, right? ... HOWEVER:idea: ... since the Kona Cafe was suggested I have to suggest my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE place ..... O'HANA at the Polynesian Resort!

An excellent assortment of food is brought to your table in an All-You-Can-Eat style place! IMHO, O'hana is the PERFECT dinner to cap off a fantastic day!:cloud9:

Hope it helps!!!

Have A Magical Day!

Frank
Disney DieHard

Hey Forevryoung!

I was reading your message and I have one question ... you said you tried Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Teppen Edo and two were booked. Maybe I'm cheap but you asked for "moderately priced" restaurants and I do not consider Le Cellier or Teppen Edo to be moderately priced.

Honestly, I am at a loss for either park when you cross off buffets and what is booked-up already, plus you were looking for table service, right? ... HOWEVER:idea: ... since the Kona Cafe was suggested I have to suggest my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE place ..... O'HANA at the Polynesian Resort!

An excellent assortment of food is brought to your table in an All-You-Can-Eat style place! IMHO, O'hana is the PERFECT dinner to cap off a fantastic day!:cloud9:

Hope it helps!!!

Have A Magical Day!

Frank
Disney DieHard

You are right, Le Cellier and Teppan Edo wouldn't truly be considered "moderately priced" but I live in NY so my thoughts are slightly skewed (I am trying to avoid Flying Fish which I really want to try but at $50 a person... can't justify it this trip). :rotfl2:

I'm going to try Coral Reef and Kona. My mom is skeevy about buffets (she's a nutritionist so she knows "stuff") so I try to avoid them.

I'm going to see about Le Cellier for lunch instead and just doing counter service for dinner. It was my favorite meal last trip.

Thanks!

Well for you MK day I would suggest Wave at Contemporary or have lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern, then grab something light for dinner.

For EPCOT...well, moderately price...the EPCOT restaurants are mostly quite good. For something really special head over to IL Mulino at the Swan.

Can't go wrong with Kona - great teriyaki sirloin! Teppan Edo was a pleasant surprise this past Oct. - great file and also tried the shrimp & siroin - all very tasty! Wolfgang Puck is another fav. The Grand Floridian Cafe is good and overlooked. We don't like O'hanas and feel it is overrated for what you get and the food is so-so. We actually liked Whispering Canyon and LOVED the breakfast buffet at BOMA - not like a typical bufett. They cook small amounts at a time and you can see them cooking the food - spit fired ham, great omelettes etc. - so worth it!

I would suggest that if you are both "foodies" that you actually splurge a little and go to Bistro upstairs in France. It is not rated by AAA as it is inside a Park, but the food and service there are second only to V&A at WDW. The prices are not too bad as long as you don't get carried away by the wines. Here is a recent menu.

Note they do not take DDP but do take DDE/TiW and also there is no children's menu so there will be a real shortage of children.

If your mom is a nutritionist, she might really enjoy the Wave wich seems to be about giving food a healthy twist. It is nowhere near Epcot or MK, but if your are going in May or later, what about the new restaurant at Kidani (AKV), I think it is called Sanaa or so.

I can understand that you hesitate to spend so much money on the Flying Fish, but this was really our absolute favourite meal on our last trip, so I can highly recommend it.

I would suggest the Wave for a moderately priced lunch or dinner, but our lunching experience there left us with a bad taste in our mouth - literally. Just didn't expect dark meat chicken on a chicken salad. However, breakfast there has always been excellent and we will try lunch or dinner again.

For something in your hotel area, have you tried bluezoo bar/lounge area? You should be able to get in without an ADR, and it is a Todd English restaurant at the Dolphin (hence fitting the foodie category) We discovered Il Mulino last trip, and eating in their bar and ordering off the menu was a great experience.

For a lesser priced meal, how about the Fountain at the Dolphin? it is a soda shop/diner style (not exactly foodie) but the food is good and reasonably priced.

Chef de France is a good choice as well, but it feels a little "banquet style" in food quality and prep (rather common for EPCOT restaurants, though). I really liked Tokyo Dining, but I would argue it is expensive for what it is (then again, you are from NY - so you are used to that!)

Back on the lounge theme - Crew's Cup at Yacht Club is a good place for a drink and also you can order off the Yachtsman's menu. For a full sitdown experience, try Captain's Grille at the YachtClub. A B rating by DW, but B is solid and the prices are "reasonable".

Good luck.

For a lesser priced meal, how about the Fountain at the Dolphin? it is a soda shop/diner style (not exactly foodie) but the food is good and reasonably priced.

Good luck.

Fountain at the Dolphin is ok...but for dinner..the food is much better in Picabo.

Fountain at the Dolphin is ok...but for dinner..the food is much better in Picabo.

I would respectfully disagree. Picabu is okay in a pinch, but at the Fountain you get a table service meal with all those great ice cream options at the end. I found Picabu to be mostly unispired cafeteria style food. At least at the Fountain I can buy into the theme and enjoy a burger and fries or club sandwich for dinner, and I think their ice cream sundaes are as good as (or even better than!) Beaches & Cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter