2 deputies shot at resort near Disney

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
BREAKING NEWS
2 deputies shot at resort near Disney

Three suspects were involved in the shooting, official says.

Walter Pacheco and Henry Pierson Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted May 30, 2007, 1:25 PM EDT

Scores of law enforcement converged this morning at a resort near Walt Disney World where two deputies were shot.

Orange County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jim Solomons confirmed that one deputy was shot in the arm and the other in the vest shortly after 11 a.m. at the Caribe Royale Resort at 8101 World Center Drive.

Both deputies were airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The sheriff's office has not released the names of the injured deputies.

Solomons said three suspects were involved in the shooting and all have been arrested.

The deputies may have interrupted an auto burglary in progress when the shooting occurred.

Law enforcement officers from the Federal Bureau of Investigations, Florida Highway Patrol, Orlando Police Department, and SWAT Team members, among others, gathered outside the resort where some of the state's top officials, including Attorney General Bill McCollum, will be meeting to discuss homicide rates, arrest and incarceration and poverty and violence.

Of course the only reason this is news is that it was *near* Disney's property. I don't mean to belittle our gallent law enforcement officers, but this kind of stuff happens to them all the time. It becomes "news" (and I use the term loosly) because it happens to be near Disney. :rolleyes1

Sometimes I dispair of our information sources.

M-kay, the other side of I-4 qualifies this as a Disney connection. How about up the street from SeaWorld? Or close to the Orange County Convention Center. More reason to stay on property, ehh? ;)

Of course the only reason this is news is that it was *near* Disney's property. I don't mean to belittle our gallent law enforcement officers, but this kind of stuff happens to them all the time. It becomes "news" (and I use the term loosly) because it happens to be near Disney. :rolleyes1

I'm not exactly 100% sure what you mean........:confused3

Wow air lifted for non life threatening injuries??

OK, they caught these guys, and they have a record, each one of them, for a total of 80 arrests. They all have extensive criminal records, yet they are all out on the street. What sort of a comment would you have about that?.......just curious:confused3

OK, they caught these guys, and they have a record, each one of them, for a total of 80 arrests. They all have extensive criminal records, yet they are all out on the street. What sort of a comment would you have about that?.......just curious:confused3

ummm..........that they belong in jail?:rolleyes1

Don't think officers get shot 'all the time'!

So because police officers get shot at "all the time" that makes it ok and only newsworthy because the Disney name is involved? Sorry Sara, you make me a little upset with a comment like that.

So because police officers get shot at "all the time" that makes it ok and only newsworthy because the Disney name is involved? Sorry Sara, you make me a little upset with a comment like that.

My thoughts exactly.........:mad:

FYI My comment,if read correctly, is concerning Med flighting someone without life threatening injuries. Either their injuries were more threatening then reported or someone is killing a fly with a shotgun. To send Med FLight is not an easy thing and comes with its own dangers.

FYI My comment,if read correctly, is concerning Med flighting someone without life threatening injuries. Either their injuries were more threatening then reported or someone is killing a fly with a shotgun. To send Med FLight is not an easy thing and comes with its own dangers.

So you would not want a medivac if someone shot you?:confused3

I was there. I was taking my girls to WDW one last time before our summer blackout dates begin on our Season passes. (We have VBS this week, so it was last week or wait until August.) Anyway, we get off the 417 on the DTD exit. There was a policeman there blocking the road. Now, I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but I think if I make this big loop I'll be back on 536 (or is it 535?) Anyway, there were sheriffs cars and city police cars about every 40 yards or so. They had their rifles out and steadied on top of their cruisers. Traffic was totally shut down. They even closed that part of I-4. It was madness. There were a lot of people trying to get to WDW and their resorts and they know the area even less than I do, so lots of people just stopped and/or trying to make U-turns on the few roads that were open. With traffic going nowhere, I can totally understand why they would airlift a person (even without life threatening injuries). Also, it may be possible that the injuries would have become worse had that person had to sit in that traffic.

I think the point is that because they could say "Disney" in the story.. it will get more attention than it might otherwise. And THAT is a sad commentary on society.

Unfortunately, gun crime in Orlando as a whole is on the rise this year and last year.

Knox

No I would not want other people put in harms way to be med flighted with NON LIFE threatening injuries. Part of the traffic jam may have been in result of medflight. All traffic has to be stopped in order for them to land. My point, which seem hard to understand, is I am guessing their injuries were worse then reported.

No I would not want other people put in harms way to be med flighted with NON LIFE threatening injuries. Part of the traffic jam may have been in result of medflight. All traffic has to be stopped in order for them to land.

You are right - one time I was visiting a friend in the Waterford Lakes area and she lives in a small development (about 50 or so homes) that has only 1 entrance, which is off of Dean Rd. There was an accident where at least 1 person had to be airlifted. They stopped all traffic to let the helicopter land, load and lift off again. We happened to be sitting at the entrance/exit of her development, trying to go to dinner, when we were stopped.

Part of the traffic snarl would have to do with the aircraft, and more b/c of the police presence to catch these guys. The drawback is the fact that it is in a tourist area, and many people wouldn't know where else to go to get around it (I wouldn't either w/o my map of Orlando).

Unfortunately, crime is up EVERYWHERE. When I told my mom a few weeks ago what the murder rate was here last year she said, "That's all?" Apparently it's bad back home in Philly (as some of you may have seen on last night's CBS Evening News...).

:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter