2 days only - Must eat foods?

DMA832

Earning My Ears
What are the quintessential must eats at Disneyland? We only have two full days, one Disneyland and one at DCA at the beginning of Oct. We’re staying at either Paradise Pier or Disneyland hotel. We go to WDW multiple times a year but I’ve only been to Disneyland once for half a day previously and my kids have never been. Eating great food is an important part of our Disney experience so I would love to know what I have to eat to get the true Disneyland experience.

Corn dog, monte cristos (at Cafe Orleans, Blue Bayou & Smoke Jumpers), chocolate peanut butter sandwich (at candy shops), skewers at Bengal BBQ, and at least one bag of toffee to take home from the candy shops

Mickey pretzel
Breakfast sandwich from Jolly Holiday (Also the Matterhorn macaroon!)
Dole Whip
Fried chicken at Plaza Inn
Ice cream cone at Gibson Girls
The cupcakes at Disneyland are the best ever. Not sure how they do it! I've had them from various places at Disneyland and they're always excellent.

Look at the menus and see what appeals. There are some new offerings since I’ve last been 11/19. I agree you should try the skewers (Bengal BBQ) despite them being smaller and not quite as good as a decade ago. But I’ve never had a Montecristo or corn dog in decades of visiting. 😆 We have overall not been impressed with any of the food at Plaza Inn it’s surely not going to be the best fried chicken ever.

I’ll list some of my faves but none of them may be a must do for you. Taste is subjective!
French Market-we have been satisfied every trip. I get Caesar salad. DH gets whatever and has always been happy.
Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta I love the Caesar salad and spaghetti. My sibs love the other pasta. My kids get gf pizza.
Not a must do for us every trip but we enjoy Jolly Holiday. I get the grilled cheese and tomato soup. DH varies. He had a pretty bad holiday sandwich offering one year. Turkey and something. Who knows if they’ll ever bring it back.
If you want Mexican avoid 🚫 Cocina Cucamonga. I’ve tried many times and it’s just horrible. Rancho del Zocalo is no longer on my must do list but it’s a viable option.
I hit up Cozy Cone twice for their chili every visit. 😋 I don’t like the cone and get it in a cup and ask for no nacho cheese.

I’m going to try the aforementioned Monte Cristo at Smokejumpers Grill. This place has never been a fave but it’s not horrible. I just couldn’t order an unknown at Blue Bayou with so many other preferences. BB isn’t a must do, especially in just a 2 day trip but the ambiance can’t be beat. I don’t care for Cafe Orleans or Carnation Cafe; we haven’t had good experiences there and with so many good options in the park I don’t have time to try a mediocre sit down place twice.

Award Wieners used to be a must do. But I haven’t heard good things with their current limited menu.

Adorable snowman is on our to do list. But jack Jack’s wasn’t amazing.

https://allears.net/dlr/dining/menu/ good for planning.

If you have any questions, including some places not mentioned feel free to inquire more.

Last edited:
Mickey pretzel
Breakfast sandwich from Jolly Holiday (Also the Matterhorn macaroon!)
Dole Whip
Fried chicken at Plaza Inn
Ice cream cone at Gibson Girls
The cupcakes at Disneyland are the best ever. Not sure how they do it! I've had them from various places at Disneyland and they're always excellent.
I don’t think I’ve ever tried a cupcake. I’m going to now, thanks to your recommendation.

I don’t know what menus are like these days but in normal times…

Disneyland:
Corn dog from stage door, same corn dog as red wagon but comes with fries instead of chips.
Churro funnel cake at hungry bear
A sundae from Gibson
Pork belly skewer from bengal if you aren’t afraid of fat.

CA:
Bread bowl from pacific wharf (ask for whatever you get in a cup so you can eat the bread with butter afterwards. Also not on the menu but you can get Mac n cheese this way)
Jack Jack numnum cookie
Monte Cristo from smoke jumpers

General:
Churros at Disneyland are in a different league than the abominations they call churros at Disneyworld.
Downtown Disney shouldn’t be skipped. Black tap is legit as is the pizza place.

I think the food in Disneyworld is better than Disneyland, but there are some gems to be found around the parks

My experience with Disneyland cupcakes is the exact opposite. They look so pretty/cute...but I have never had one that tasted even remotely good. I have often wondered how they can get something as basic as a cupcake so wrong taste-wise.

Same. Don't waste stomach space on a cupcake. There are WAY better options.

Raspberry Rose Macaron
Matterhorn Macaroon
Chocosmash Candy Bar
Blueberry Lemon Alien Macaron
Dole Whip Lemon/Blueberry Parfait
Sundaes or a brownie from Ghirardelli
Jack Jack Cookie Num Num

I'll also recommend the Mickey shaped beignets. They were just so good. Did a mobile order for them 15 minutes before my Café Orleans reservation and it was amazing timing and the perfect dessert to finish off our meal there.

Also if in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, I have to recommend the Cold Brew Black Caf from Docking Bay 7. It was just so good of a drink on a hot day, with a cold brew coffee, sweet cream cheese and topped with coco puffs. FYI, mix the sweet cream cheese into the coffee before you drink it and order it without ice. The drink is already cold enough and doesn't need the ice and the ice makes fishing out the coco puffs SOOO much harder. LOL

As for sit down restaurants, our favorite from both parks was easily Lamplight Lounge. So if you get the opportunity to make a reservation there, I'll highly recommend it. Easily had the best flavorful foods we ate from any of the sit down restaurants we went to and highly recommend it. Especially if your family is a fan of the Pixar movies.

Last edited:
Classic churro, popcorn and corn dog are my personal favorite grab and go items throughout the day.

Others have replied with great suggestions for sit down/bigger meals.

Have fun!! :earsboy:

Jolly Holiday usually has lots of good choices (sandwiches,etc. ) and
Matterhorn macaroon and Raspberry Mickey macaron
Also, cream cheese filled pretzel
monte cristo
We don't really bother with the gibson girl or ghiradelli ice cream.... it's just dreyers. like the soft serve at DCA, though.... cozy cone or snowman place....

If you want fine dining... Napa Rose at the Grand California... that or Carthay Circle in DCA
Don't forget Trader Sam's at DL hotel for the fun of it!
Have a great time :)!

I just had the garlic-cheddar-twist-bagel thingie from Maurice's Treats (cute cart next to castle, on left side, across from princess meet and greet) for the first time on Monday. YUMMY! Soft, cheddery, garlicky goodness. I'd definitely have another one of those.

If you want fine dining... Napa Rose at the Grand California... that or Carthay Circle in DCA
Don't forget Trader Sam's at DL hotel for the fun of it!
Have a great time :)!

Leaving in a few days as well and am definitely taking notes from all your yummy suggestions!

Does Trader Sam's require a reservation or can you simply walk up?

I second the garlic cheddar twists, but my favorite DL treat is the raspberry macaron. SO yummy! I know everyone loves the Matterhorn macaroons, but I couldn’t even finish the only one I‘ve ever gotten, it was SO sweet! Grey Stuff is another sweet fave, at Red Rose… the last time I was there at Halloween time, the little food truck back by Monsters Inc. had some AMAZING pork belly tacos, I’m hoping for them again when I’m down in September!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter