• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 days in DL, is it worth a sit down meal?

dougyfresh97

Earning My Ears
Wanted to get some opinions on doing a table service meal in DL or DCA.

Some background info:
We'll be there on July 1 and 2, so midweek, but summer season and right before the 4th weekend. We're 7 adults and no kids :)
2-3 of us have been to both DCA and DL, 2 to just WDW, and 2 have never been to either!

I know from WDW, the table service restaurants really add to the experience, but also add to the time spent eating.

Given we have 2 days, of potentially crowded parks, is it worth doing one, and which one?

Thanks in advance!

If you are able to eat at off-times (11 a.m., 4 p.m., 8 p.m., etc.) then eating only CS will save you some time. But if you are eating during busy times (both time of day and busy July days), then it seems like eating at TS doesn't take much more time. The CS food lines are sometimes longer than the ride lines on busy days! The benefit of TS is a more relaxed experience!

Unique TS meals at Disneyland might include Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, Cafe Orleans, and others. Flo's in DCA is CS, but real flatware/plates, great view of Radiator Springs Racers, and air-conditioned!

You didn't say whether price was an issue for your group. And not all of you have to choose to dine together if some want simpler, quicker food and more ride time.

PHXscuba

One that we have to eat at during every trip is The Plaza Inn. Wonderful chicken dinners (among others) and deserts. You also get a chance to see the only space designed by Lillian Disney. We like to sit in the south atrium and people watch at the end of Main Street.

If you are going to spring for one nice sit down meal, make it Blue Bayou and do the Fantasmic! package. Yes, it's pricey, but soooo worth it for a great meal in a unique environment, and front and center seats for the show to boot! Ride lines are long that time of the day anyway and it's such a nice, relaxing atmosphere, plus you will save time by not having to line up way in advance to see F!

Yes, definitely. But....one may always stand while dining, if it makes ye happier to do so. Lol

;)

I think it would all depend on what your group wants to do as a whole. I know when I go with a larger group, we tend to just do the counter or quick service meals unless we are celebrating a special occasion. Others have given you good suggestions for where to eat but I'll add one more TS for you. Carthay Circle over in DCA is another good restaurant and you can get a World of Color package for either lunch or dinner.

Wanted to get some opinions on doing a table service meal in DL or DCA.

Some background info:
We'll be there on July 1 and 2, so midweek, but summer season and right before the 4th weekend. We're 7 adults and no kids :)
2-3 of us have been to both DCA and DL, 2 to just WDW, and 2 have never been to either!

I know from WDW, the table service restaurants really add to the experience, but also add to the time spent eating.

Given we have 2 days, of potentially crowded parks, is it worth doing one, and which one?

Thanks in advance!

IMO with that amount of time there is probably only one TS meal worth doing and that would be Blue Bayou because of the fantastic atmosphere. And if your budget allows and are planning to see F! then I would spring for the BB F! dining package and save yourself some time and get a seat in the best section.

One that we have to eat at during every trip is The Plaza Inn. Wonderful chicken dinners (among others) and deserts. You also get a chance to see the only space designed by Lillian Disney. We like to sit in the south atrium and people watch at the end of Main Street.

The Plaza Inn is considered a counter service restaurant. It has real plates though as does Rancho del Zocalo. Some of the CS restaurants, such as those two, are very quick to get food and still feel like a restaurant with their large seating areas. Zocalo is pretty at night with the lanterns lit, it's right outside Big Thunder. I don't find most of the CS places to be too slow, but we tend to eat at the same ones. The slowest places are those making burgers. We've never done a TS before. We were considering Café Orleans, but I read even with reservations you could have to wait.

If cost is not an issue, then do Blue Bayou for lunch. If you want to be sure to sit by the water, get an 11:30 reservation and arrive 15 min before that.

Carnation Cafe has good food and isn't as expensive.

We are doing our first trip without extended family/friends in December (just me, DH and DS) and will finally be eating at Blue Bayou! We too only have 2 days in the parks and hopefully BB will be worth the time.

Also keep expectations low on eating at any restaurant you choose. That way you can be plesently surprised. A late lunch can be a really nice break....

Another thing to consider is how long you plan to be in the park each day. During summer season DL is often open 8am - midnight. If your group is planning to be in the park all or the majority of that time you may want to plan a TS meal to give yourselves a nice midday break from the heat and walking!

Another Blue Bayou vote. It's a unique dining experience not found in WDW. Because you're going at the beginning of July it can be hot and the air conditioned break for lunch is amazing. General park hours during summer are looking like 8am to midnight so you should have time for a TS without feeling like it will take your whole day.

I'm gonna have to give another vote for Blue Bayou if you are looking for a TS place. The atmosphere just can't be duplicated anywhere. Second vote would be for Café Orleans sitting outside in the shade. We ate an early lunch there right when the opened so it was still pleasant temperature-wise in the shade in Aug plus we got to people watch in the park.

If you are agreeable to a CS place then Plaza Inn gets my top vote. it still feels like TS without the wait for food so it can be a little faster (again we tend to eat lunch early before the rush) and the fried chicken just shouldn't be missed.

I recommend having a dinner reservation... Lunch cs lines aren't usually horrible. But dinner can be. Like a pp said, to early... Before 5 and have a nice sit down meal that you reserved and you can watch all the people trying to do walk ups and being turned away when it's booked solid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter