2 ADULTS 30 YEARS YOUNG - DISNEY HILTON Vs. DISNEY MODERATE

with the great introductory rates they're running, i'd pick the waldorf. Otherwise, i'd pick the new hilton at bonnet creek. Either would be so much nicer than a moderate -- and both are very close to the epcot resort area (although i think you'll need a car). Take a look at the pool for the waldorf and hilton -- it looks gorgeous.

While nicely landscaped and themed, when all is said and done, the disney moderates are tarted up motels. Bathrooms are exceptionally tiny, closet is a bar across the space with no closet doors, the sink is in the bedroom, the rooms are small although they seem bigger if you get a king bed. Yes, you're on-site, which is nice, but a motel is a motel is a motel.

Waldorf and hilton are hotels!

We always rent a car because the thought of taking two buses and a monorail to get to any of the resorts for dinner is just too miserable. Whenever we've done it, a 5-minute drive turns into a 1 1/2 hour trip. If you must use the buses, on-site would be better.

Emh mornings are too early for us. We're on vacation! We were just at wdw two weeks ago and emh evening was way, way too crowded. The one at mk ran from 11 pm to 2 am. By around 1 am the crowds finally slowed down and we could get on rides without waits. By then, we were so exhausted we left.

Far better than emh is purchasing mnsshp or the christmas one (although those only run seasonally). When people have to pay an extra $55 per person, many don't go. By contrast, emh costs nothing extra, so everybody and their dog (so to speak) is there. At ak a couple of weeks ago, we waited over an hour during emh evening to ride kali river rapids. There were no fans going and i honestly thought we'd melt before we got to the ride. The next day, the wait was around 30 minutes.

Add to that the fact that anyone can stay for emh evenings now. Even if you're not a resort guest, you can shop, you can dine. You're not supposed to ride the rides. They try to check room keys, but it's pretty hard for the cms to check room keys plus keep the lines moving.

With everyone able to stay and eat and shop, emh evenings have lost any bit of exclusivity they had. The parks are crowded and we just don't see the value of emh anymore.

So, i'd stay at the waldorf!!!

Just my 2 cents.

thank you - we will have a rental car, and we like the idea of the hotel not the motel. I will check waldorf for prices.... Thanks again for youe help!

I would definitely stay onsite. We stayed offsite one year on a quick visit and it was not the same at all. There are so many details at a DIS hotel that keep the magic going, the theming, subtle music- sometimes not so subtle! :rolleyes1, tv programming, foods, etc. For us, we like the whole experience.
Good luck with your decision!

If you decide to stay off site, be sure to check out the mod resorts. for future info.

Disney's moderates are nowhere close to being considered a motel. Port Orleans has won awards for their landscaping. Wonderful theming. The sinks are in an alcove area, outside the tub/toilet area. Great pools,one with slide. POR and FQ have boat ride to Downtown Disney. Carriage rides, pole fishing, great arcade,beautiful walking path by the river between the 2 resorts.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/port.htm

allearsnet.com web site is a good place to compare, if you haven't been there yet.

I personally get up early, so EMH works for me.

So you see, different thoughts on this!

Whatever you chose, you will have a great time!

While the Waldorf may be nice (don't know from personal experience), the Hilton is not really any nicer than the Disney moderates especially POFQ. We stayed at the Hilton last year for a conference, and frankly I wished I was on-site the whole time. It is nice, but not as nice as some Hiltons you may have stayed at in the past. IMO, I'd rather be at a WDW value resort that be off-site at the nicest places in town (which we have also done). Off-site just is not the same.

If by Hilton, you are talking about the one located IN the resort, you get the EMH anyhow.

For me, it's HHonors points paying for two rooms for a week, so it's a no brainer. I travel a lot so I have hotel status that often adds some extra perks.

As to busses, yes, a car is likely the way to go from there. But the other advantage is you are closer to DTD... Not a bad deal. So what's around the mods?

--m

thank you - we will have a rental car, and we like the idea of the hotel not the motel. I will check waldorf for prices.... Thanks again for youe help!

Don't forget about $12 a day parking if not staying onsite. Plus DTD buses do not go to the parks, they only go to the resorts. So that people will not park at DTD and take a free bus to the parks.

Like I said before, if I want the best of both worlds and choose to stay offsite, I am choosing the Swan/Dolphin instead of the others. Walking or boating to Epcot or DHS is my cup of tea and participating in EMH is awesome. Also, the heavenly beds are just that, heavenly. . .

I have stayed at many hotels around the world, but if you are going to WDW parks, then I vote for the disney property as well. When you stay in a moderate room, it is like staying in a 2 1/2-3 star hotel (value resort rooms are like 2-2/1 star hotel room). Deluxe rooms are where you experience the 4 star and up treatment, just based upon my experience.

Pros of staying on-site are: transportation is free (instead of having to pay the parking fee and walking to and from the park every day, which adds up in time very quickly), you are eligible for the disney dining plan (which, for less than $42/day for the standard dining plan, is a steal for getting meals in the parks), and you have everything encoded onto your room key (no need to walk around with paper tickets, room keys, cash, credit cards, etc). It is so much easier, in my humble opinion.

Either way, good luck and have fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter