2.5 Year old at California Grill

Yes, I took my toddler to the CG. In retrospect I wish I did not. It was too "fancy" of a place and she was far too squirmy and cranky. We did not have a quiet and relaxing meal. She, however, had the best $8 bowl of mac n cheese I ever tasted!

Hmm, this is making me rethink our ADR for there. Our almost 3 year old isn't very quiet, but usually well behaved, in a restaurant. Meaning she does NOT get out of her chair and run around or throw things etc, but does have a big mouth. She can snap in a flash though, if she is tired, ....which I of course can't even begin to predict right now how she will feel that night.

Looking forward to more comments. I would rather not use up 8 credits for there if it is going to end up a disaster. <sigh> Maybe when she is four, we can go finally, since we can leave her at one of the kids clubs!

We took our children ages 3 & 11 at that time. First, I have to say my kids eat out almost 4 times a week and they're very comfortable in "fancy" restaruants. Neither of my children liked California Grill at all. It really had nothing to do with the food either. We went later in the evening in order to watch "wishes". I was not aware that they will not seat guests once the show has started. And because so many people were waiting around for the show to start, our table wasn't ready on time. Then the firework show started, we had to wait until the show was completely over. Then they were able to seat us, about 45 minutes after our ADR time. (Even though we arrived at the podium 15 minutes before our ADR time just as Disney Dining had suggested). Well now the restaurant is back to taking orders and serving people....I'm sure you can already figure out the rest....There were a large number of orders placed to the kitchen at once and our food was EXCEPTIONALLY slow at arriving to our table. Both of my daughters had fallen asleep by the time the food arrived. We tried to wake them up but neither had any appetite and just wanted to go back to the Hotel. Like the other poster, I must say my daughter's Macaroni and Cheese was DELICIOUS! They did eat their desserts. I vaguely remember it being like dessert sushi or something like that. But I have NEVER been able to convince my family to go back and give it another try. Too bad because I think had things worked out just a little differently we probably would have really enjoyed it there.

Last year we took DD1 (four months shy from 2) during the free dining promotion. Someone suggested eariler that we should try portable DVD player to entertain her while we enjoyed our meal. DH likes signature restaurants (well, me too) so we dined at CG, Citrico, Nacoossee, Brown Derby. We usually entertained DD1 first with whatever toys we bought her that day and when we started dinner, we turned on the DVD players and let her watch her favorite movies. It works most of time. The only thing was we usually dine early 6:00pm - 6:30pm. You want to have your dinner early before they got tired and became cranky.

When we were at CG, DD1 was perfect except when she was tired of sitting down and wanted to walk around at the end (when we were having desert). We took her to the outside firework viewing area (too early for firework) to have some fresh air and run around in the lobby area. The CMs were nice and none of them came to stop her from walking around. So we had a very good time in CG. Please go enjoying CG and remember if the kid is not up for it, don't force her/him. It's her vacation too you want all of you enjoy it. :)

we took DD1 starting at 18 months...and DD2 as early as a month...they both have done well. The tablecloths are covered with white butcher paper which makes it nice to color on...they bring out goldfish for an appetizer as well.

We try and do at least one fine dining experience each year at Disney. Two years ago we took our children to CG when they were 3 and 1 (we've also done Jiko and Artist Point on later trips).

We try and get the earliest reservation possible (I think it was like 5:30), so we are seated quickly. Also, at that time the resturants are usually less than full-- so if a meltdown occurs, it wouldn't disturb too many people. We also bring a portable DVD player and use the crayons/paper to keep them occupied. We've never had a problem at any of out fine dining experiences with the kids.

In fact, it is one of the reasons my husband loves Disney so much-- fine dining with our family. :love:

I took my niece and nephew to CG last December--they were four and six at the time. We had a lovely time. I don't know if it was because we went at the end of the trip and they were used to dining out regularly, or maybe I had just worn them out and they were too tired to fuss! :)

We were there for 2.5 hours (our choice, we could have been out sooner). There was no complaining from them at all. The waiter brought extra paper for them to color, and I surprised them at the table with activity kits I had picked up in Epcot--a plastic bag with markers, coloring pages, and stickers. Nephew spent the entire time (when not eating) "designing" new rides for the theme parks (complete with fast pass lanes!)

We took them out on the balcony for Wishes, which they just loved. They ate their entire meal, and the kitchen was nice enough to create a special dessert for my nephew who has food allergies (It was a giant tower of fruit--he and my niece ate the whole thing!).

I will tell you that there were lots of other kids of all ages at the CG, some all dressed up, some in their PJs!

Give it a try. It was definitely our best dining experience with the kids.

Not to be flamed or for anyone to take this the wrong way but...

Only you know your child's temprement and behaviour, remember many 'romantic' couples go there for special dinners. Take into consideration the timing of your meal. I love kids (I teach young children) and am well aware of what they can get up to, but if your child is a running around the restaurant, squawking kind of child then I as a diner would not be happy (as in the child we encountered at Atlantis in the Bahamas on our honeymoon - about 4 years old, 9.30 pm, running around waving food on a fork)

I'm not saying your child is like this and this post is not meant to be a damning critiscism of kids in restaurants. All I'm saying is you know your own child, so use your discretion and consider others as well. Happy deciding and if you do decide to eat there then enjoy, it's wonderful.

Stitch's Greatest Fa said:

Only you know your child's temprement and behaviour, remember many 'romantic' couples go there for special dinners. Take into consideration the timing of your meal. I love kids (I teach young children) and am well aware of what they can get up to, but if your child is a running around the restaurant, squawking kind of child then I as a diner would not be happy (as in the child we encountered at Atlantis in the Bahamas on our honeymoon - about 4 years old, 9.30 pm, running around waving food on a fork)

I'm not saying your child is like this and this post is not meant to be a damning critiscism of kids in restaurants. All I'm saying is you know your own child, so use your discretion and consider others as well. Happy deciding and if you do decide to eat there then enjoy, it's wonderful.

Perfectly said

For those who haven't been and are expecting a quiet romantic meal...keep in mind that CG is pretty noisy especially by the open kitchen....it has gorgeous views, wonderful food and service but when I went expecting a quiet romantic dinner I was surprised by the restaurant noise (not patrons).

Stitch's Greatest Fa said:

I understand what you're saying. And no I WOULD NEVER let my child run around any restaurant let alone California Grill but....
You are in WDW,, there will be kids everywhere. DH and I went to CG for a relaxing romantic dinner a couple years ago. It was sooo loud we could barely hear each other talk.

We have ADR's for our family in Sept. DS (8) DD (2) And will not think twice about taking either one of them there. DH and I expect to encounter children at every restaurant. And thats why when DH and I do our getaways we go to the Sandals resorts.....no kids ;)

You know your kids if they can handle it...do it. We eat out a couple times a week so our kids are tuned to it.

We went in Dec. with a 3, 9, and 11 year old. The waitress brought them goldfish to eat on while they colored. We were seated in a booth, so we weren't out in the open. My DS3 is an active, loud child. :p The CG is so noisy that I could hardly hear him. Do try to schedule your meal near your normal eating hours. It was the best meal of our trip.

Take your toddler, don't worry and have a wonderful time!

Lori

We have debated it for this yr., but have decided against it. We are still in the 'training' phase and when our DD or DS act up, we get the food to go. DH and I LOVE CG, so we're not quite ready to eat the great food out of styro if the kids do act up. so we've decided to wait. It's no biggie to wait a couple years you will be happier for it!

We've done GREAt the past few months and have not had to leave anywhere, but you just never know yet :)

roliepolieoliefan said:
I understand what you're saying. And no I WOULD NEVER let my child run around any restaurant let alone California Grill but....
You are in WDW,, there will be kids everywhere. DH and I went to CG for a relaxing romantic dinner a couple years ago. It was sooo loud we could barely hear each other talk.

We have ADR's for our family in Sept. DS (8) DD (2) And will not think twice about taking either one of them there. DH and I expect to encounter children at every restaurant. And thats why when DH and I do our getaways we go to the Sandals resorts.....no kids ;)

You know your kids if they can handle it...do it. We eat out a couple times a week so our kids are tuned to it.

Hmmm... I really appreciated both of these posts. DF and I just made a ressie for CG on our honeymoon. We planned what we were going to wear, etc. and were very much looking forward to a nice night out. We don't mind noisy places, but were looking for something romantic.

If the kid at the table next to us was watching a portable DVD... I don't think it sounds like the best option for us.

Is there somewhere more suitable offsite that anyone could recommend?

We went there when we didnt have kids and there were children at nearly every table. Not what I would call a romantic setting. Would I take my 22 month old. No way. It takes nearly 2 hours to eat dinner there and I know he would never make it through the meal. But if your kids can sit that long than go for it. I know many children were there when we ate there last visit. Have fun and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter