2/3/13/ Dream

Snorkeling sounds like fun but I have a lame question. Do you have to know how to swim in order to snorkel? My swimming skills have always been poor though my drowning skills are pretty good! After 3 unfortunate pool incidents as a child, my parents had me take lessons but I hate that that turning your head to the side thing. I can tread water, dog paddle and I suppose I "could" swim the "normal" way if I had to. I figured since you had a breathing tube, if you know the basics you wouldn't need to know how to "swim" per say but I have no idea.

What are the basics involved? I mean if they let little kids do it.... though there are little kids that don't mind turning their head to the side while they are swimming.

Snorkeling sounds like fun but I have a lame question. Do you have to know how to swim in order to snorkel? My swimming skills have always been poor though my drowning skills are pretty good! After 3 unfortunate pool incidents as a child, my parents had me take lessons but I really that that turning your head to the side thing. I can tread water, dog paddle and I suppose I "could" swim the "normal" way if I had to. I figured since you had a breathing tube, if you know the basics you wouldn't need to know how to "swim" per say but I have no idea.

What are the basics involved? I mean if they let little kids do it.... though there are little kids that don't mind turning their head to the side while they are swimming.

I'd love 2 Castaway Cay Days instead of Nassau too! LOL!

You need to be able to swim enough to stay afloat to snorkle, but you will have the mask and snorkel, so will be looking straight down vs needing to turn your head to breathe. I have never been to Castaway Cay, so don't know how the current is, but I would definately get in and see how you feel swimming in that area before renting the snorkel equip. I have snorkeled in some areas that have a pretty strong current, and would not reccomend those areas for weak swimmers. From all the little kids I have seen in pics snorkeling at Castaway, I would imagine that it is pretty calm there

The discussion about CC is getting me excited. It will be my first time and i have no idea what to expect... and honestly.... i'm getting jealous with all of your stories about your past cruises. the months are not going by fast enough.

NASSAU - anyone gonna go do some shopping??? I've never been and dont want to do any excursions. Maybe we can have a shopping group planned.

NASSAU - anyone gonna go do some shopping??? I've never been and dont want to do any excursions. Maybe we can have a shopping group planned.

We aren't doing any excursions either but will get off the boat and do some wandering around of the area. I'm sure at least my 8-year-old dd will do some shopping.

We aren't doing any excursions either but will get off the boat and do some wandering around of the area. I'm sure at least my 8-year-old dd will do some shopping.

We went to Castaway Cay in October of last year...the water was freezing and really cloudy. We were supposed to go to Grand Caymans but didn't get to because of the weather...the water was cloudy everywhere we went so no snorkeling. We had fun in the sand and shopping. My daughter got her hair wrapped there too. This time...more on the beach...hope the water is warm to play on the ship and snorkel from shore. :offtopic:

I'm worried about the water temp in February. I really want to do it again...I've been before in The Keys a LONG time ago and in the Bahamas about 15 years ago and loved it. You really don't have to know "how to swim" much because you have a life vest on that keeps you floating above the water.

There is an excursion you can take at CC that takes you out in a boat and you can go out in the ocean and see prettier fish, etc. Ours got cancelled AGAIN, due to the cloudy water. Going out to sea is much better...you see more fish and the colors are awesome. It really depends on the weather.

Shopping, yes in Nassau...went YEARS ago...1986. Not sure where to go, but just probably look around...I have a 9 year old that will want to go too!:cheer2:
Just the experience to see a different environment/people is fun.

Can't wait to go...so ready. Already shopping for formal wear and FE gifts!

I am worried about the water being too cold in Feb. too. My kids are looking forward to Pelican Plunge more than anything....I guess we will just have to wait and see.

We are probably just doing the same thing in Nassau...just get off for a bit and shop a little, so the kids can say they've been there.

In Feb, the water will not be "hot". It will be cool, but only once in the six times we have been to Castaway Cay in Jan/Feb was it too cold for me to go into the water. That year, it was almost too cold to stay just on the beach.
We will get off the boat and hit the Straw Market and walk Bay St. Probably hit Sr Frogs and then head back to the ship. I suspect we will only be in Nassau for a few hours. We have done the driving tour once. It was interesting, but I wouldnt do it again. We havent gone to Paradise Isl yet. We will only go there if our Grandson comes with us on the cruise.

Tip: go to the dollar store and pick up your own glow sticks. They are fun to have for the pirate party!! Even when we dont have kids with us, we take them, then give them out to other kids, with their parents permission of course!

We've been here twice in the winter. Once in late January and another time in early March. Both times the water felt just fine for swimming. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ok...feeling better about the weather on Castaway day now...thanks!

FYI....AirTran and Southwest have released fares for our cruise date, if anyone else was waiting. I just booked mine this morning!:cool1:

... that I'm from Seattle and there's no body of water that is ever "warm" for swimming, but the few times we get above 80 any frigid body of water will do. :)

... that I'm from Seattle and there's no body of water that is ever "warm" for swimming, but the few times we get above 80 any frigid body of water will do. :)

I can't believe I'm in Orlando and not going to Disney! :-(
Went to universal and it was hot! Going to Downtown
Disney tomorrow to look for some FE gifts. :-)
Can't wait to see and meet you all. Need some
FE ideas?????

Hello! We are SO excited to be cruising again! At least Dh and I are.. dd17 and dd12 havent cruised before.. but they are PUMPED to say the very least.

We are cruising with a group of friends and cant wait!

There is a group that was started on facebook for this sailing that you may want to check out. :)

How do I get to the Facebook site? What name is it under.

Renee

Hello! We are SO excited to be cruising again! At least Dh and I are.. dd17 and dd12 havent cruised before.. but they are PUMPED to say the very least.

We are cruising with a group of friends and cant wait!

There is a group that was started on facebook for this sailing that you may want to check out. :)

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is a fish extender? Is it some fishing expedition? If so, why are there gifts involved? For the crew? :confused3

I'm just lost and figured well if I don't ask I will never know. :)

A question is never dumb. Especially here. Have a look at this link and it will tell you everything you need to know about Fish Extenders.
I have never participated, but others in our party have and they had fun.

Fish Extender 101

Basically it is a game people sign up for. Outside your cabin door is a small fish thingy. You make or purchase a hanging bag thingy and you go around and put small gifts in everyones that is currently signed up and playing. There are different rules that are usually settled on well before the cruise date.

For more general info, follow this link

FAQ

OMG! That is soooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to do this!!!!!!

Hi! We just joined this cruise!!

Not sure about the fish extender yet - still considering.

I do have a question about the phones on the ship though. We have kids and will want them to have one with them when they go exploring. Has anyone found any type of holder for them?

Is there a forum about them here?

Welcome! There was a thread about Wave Phones, but my laptop is acting up, and won't let me search for it. If I remember correctly, people were saying that there is no case on the market that fits, but people had used small cross-body or fanny pack type bags for them, and that worked. I have a small Vera Bradley type hipster that I plan on using. This will be my first Disney cruise, so I won't know for sure if it fits, but it fits my Kindle, so I would imagine it is fine. My DD will think it is cool...not as sure what to do with DS, and he is the one that would have the 2nd handset most of the time.

ForeverGrumpy said:
I found some holders for the wave phones on Etsy! The lady goes by pixiedustedstitches and she has lots of different ones. I ordered a pirate one for DS and DD is still trying to decide between a girl pirate or a tie dye one!

what exactly is a wave phone and the cost (if there is one)? who do you recommend them to?

what exactly is a wave phone and the cost (if there is one)? who do you recommend them to?

Wave phones are in your stateroom and are free for your use while on the ship. This way you can text and keep in touch with your family/friends since your cell phones will not work unless you are Scrooge McDuck! The roaming charges are off the charts so turn off your wifi and grab a wave phone if you need to ping someone.

However if you damage the phone, lose it or get it wet, you pay for it. I believe the cost is $250 which is why people are getting pouches/man-bags, etc. to carry them in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter