• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2/10 Western Magic

Day 7 - Castaway Cay and sadly Morning 8 - Disembarkation

We've been home 16 days now, it's March, still snowing like a ......, and below zero temps. predicted for tonight, so I'd better finish thing before my brain freezes up, and I forget the good times. Plutospup, you have my sympathy. A few years ago after Thanksgiving we were heading to Williamsburg and got stranded on the PA Turnpike for several hours going through the Alleghenies because of the snow. At least here it is mostly flat.

back to the Caribbean. Another night of not waking up at 4:00, just the gentle ocean sway in our cabin. We arise, go out on our verandah and ask Mary how last nights dessert buffet was. She reported it was glorious, though "Marc the wimp" was also overstuffed and exhausted and didn't attend. We can see Castaway Cay in the distance, and so head up to Topsiders for the last day of "omelets to order" as we watched Capt. Tom back the Magic in to the dock.

Last summer while we were vacationing in Traverse City Marc and Mary joined us for a day. As we were sitting on the beach we watched the parasailors go by, and Marc suggested going parasailing. Now personally, I hate heights, in fact going on 'Soarin" wiped me out for nearly two hours afterwards. It's a great ride, but not for me. I immediately made clucking noises to indicate my disapproval of the idea, but Marc convinced the "girls" that if they would parasail when we got to Castaway Cay he would as well. It is easy to be full of bravado when it isn't taking place for 7 months. Then in earlyDecember when we could start reserving shore excursions I sensed some hesitation, but Mary shamed him into it. So today is the day, and frankly, I'm of the opinion he really isn't too interested in parasailing. Pam is ready to go, and I volunteered to take pictures of the three of them when they made their 2:30 appointment with destiny.

Its a bit chilly and so as we walk off the ship we are wearing sweatshirts/jackets, but we have to shed those as we approach all the photo ops. Not only are the ships photographers busy along the walkway but there are good spots to capture the Magic, the Flying Dutchman and then JACK SPARROW! We were among the earlier "birds" and so there was only one small child in line ahead of us. Mary was so excited I thought the poor kid might be in jepordy, but we behaved ourselves and got pictures, and Mary got Capt. Jack's autograph. What a wonderful character "Jack" was. He had the moves, speech and appearance down perfectly. A great photo opportunity.

We moved along, getting pictures with other characters including Mickey at the buoys. We marched down the walkway past Cookie's and past "She Sells Sea Shells", where we all found it imperative to buy something. I mentioned to Marc that I saw the Parasail boat heading out of the lagoon, and he gave me a dirty look. We were reaching the end of the family beach now, and we found some chairs and bare sand and unloaded our cargo. Marc went off to take pictures of the flowers and birds, Mary decided to haul her purchases back to the ship so Pam and I settled in. After a bit we could hear the "Wedding March". Marc returned and reported that a wedding was taking place across the lagoon, which we could now see for ourselves. The sun came out and it began to warm up. The clouds were breaking up, the water was that deep blue color and everything looked magnificent. A little windy perhaps, but also "no bugs".

I settled into my beach chair, and my book. Mary returned, sat for a few minutes and decided that she and Marc should explore the island. Being the type of a person who is helpful, I said they would really be able to see things once they were up in the air. Another dirty look. Marc said they were going to walk over towards the airstrip and the adult beach. I've never seen him so antsy. Couldn't sit still. Soon they returned. It was getting cool again, a north wind, though it still looked great. Time for lunch. Cookie's was excellent as always, but someone wasn't too hungry. We returned to our spot and decided a round of drinks was in order. It was about 1:30 and we hadn't heard the parasail boat for a while. Marc went back to take a look at the event board, "still on" he reported. He stated he was concerned about landing with this strong wind. "Uh huh, right" was my response. It is now 2:00, Marc can't sit at all. We walked over to a viewing spot where we could get a picture of both the Magic and Flying Dutchman. He wasn't much interested. Off to the parasail stand we went. Cancelled! Too much wind! Two people disappointed, one person elated. Someone's step had new life as we made our way back to the Magic. "Welcome Back" said the sign, and we were glad to be there.

Once we were cleaned up, Marc and I went to hear Christiaan tell us the procedure when we return to port tomorrow. Amid all the jokes about not taking our room steward, that we came on like passengers, but were leaving as cargo, etc., Marc turned to me and said that this had to be one of their best vacations ever.

Dinner was a bittersweet affair. Food great, service wonderful, but it is the last time! Pictures of Chanda and Sanjeve with us around the table. Handing out the "tip" envelopes then back to the room to start repackaging everything into our four (why did we bring and buy so much stuff) bags. The farewell show was excellent, we finished up the packing and moved the luggage into the hallway. No one can possibly get through. As always I feel sorry for the stewards who have to wrestle this stuff down to wherever, and then put it back in order tomorrow morning. We walk up on deck, and it is blowing so hard that it is impossible to take a stroll, but we do it anyway. Back to winter tomorrow, too bad, so sad! We see the lights of Freeport in the distance and know we are heading back north. Back to our room, time to ask Mickey for one last wakeup call, and one last towel animal picture.

I'm awake at 4:00 as we turn into the channel. Looks like it is going to be a nice day. Some people will be leaving on a cruise (would they notice me if I stayed in the closet)? Mickey calls, let's get going! Someone throttle that mouse. Breakfast at 7:00, last of the early seatings. We greet Chanda and Sanjeve, have our napkins placed in our laps for the last time. Marc says that when I told him before the cruise that we would become attached to our servers, he had thought I was crazy. Now he realizes what I meant. Hugs, handshakes, "Have a good trip", as it is 7:35 and the announcement is made that the ship has cleared customs, and we can leave. Darn, whats wrong with these people, can't they screw anything up! We sit in the Promenade Lounge for ten minutes while the line to leave dwindles away and then head out. Marc mentions he had heard that getting off the boat was always a problem, but once again "hats off" to Disney. Leaving is as smooth as "a sled on snow", (four foot drifts outside today) and before we can say "Mickey Mouse Club", we are passing through customs and are back in the State of Florida. What a beautiful day to be going on a cruise, or back to Disney World. What a lousy day to be getting on an airplane heading to Grand Rapids, where the snow is deep and the temperatures are low, but that's how it is.

Disney transportation whisks us far too efficiently back to Orlando, and like the Seven Dwarfs, "Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho" (that is my cell phone's ring tone) it's back home, and to work we go. It's been more than fun. For a week, reality was suspended, and we were all kings and queens, or at least minor royalty. Someone to cater to our every whim, and doing it with a smile on their face, and a song coming over the speaker. Beautiful accomodations, wonderful food, a beautiful ship and great companions and friends. What's not to like. Is there a difference when you cruise with Disney? In my opinion there is no comparison. Let's do it again!

What a wonderful TR!!! I truly felt your sadness at the end.:sad: Thanks so much for sharing your trip w/ all of us - you did a great job!! And I love your sense of humor!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the kind words CapnJackGroupie. It is hard to be excited that last day when you know it's all over but for that last night traveling back to Port. We had a great time, and know that others will as well. Certainly things can go wrong, we are dealing with people here, not audioanimatronic robots. Actually even I ruined a Mickey tie at Palo's by dribbling fudge all over it. But all the CM's are doing their best to make it a great experience for every guest, and in the vast majority of cases, they are very successful

Mr Moose51 Your report was great! Living in Ontario I understood your description of returning to Michigan completely! ;) We don't cruise until September and I can't wait! It will be our first time and we are all looking forward to it! Thanks for the great details.:)

Mr Moose...Great TR! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

I may be going on my 1st cruise later this year and I have really enjoyed your trip report! My brother is around your age and lives in MI (and loves going to the Carribean but has never cruised). Your sense of humor reminded me so much of him! I'd be pretty mad though if he snuck off on a DCL cruise without telling me ;)

Thanks for writing that - it was very entertaining. :thumbsup2

Awesome report!! :thumbsup2

Nothing like the sudden, magical appearance of a Palo fruit pizza to bring a tear. ;)

So glad you had a great time! 11 days until it's my turn! :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter