• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st Visit- Which Characters Speak?

emsmommy323

Mouseketeer
My kids keep asking me if any characters will talk to them. I know that the princesses will or anyone without a face covering, but will Mickey or Donald or anyone talk or will it be pantomime? I just want to let my kids know what to expect. Thanks!

My kids keep asking me if any characters will talk to them. I know that the princesses will or anyone without a face covering, but will Mickey or Donald or anyone talk or will it be pantomime? I just want to let my kids know what to expect. Thanks!

There are no speaking characters other than the face characters. There are a couple of video screen characters that interact with their audiences at Turtle Talk with Crush (EPCOT) and at The Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor(MK). There is also an interactive Mr. Potato Head if you ride Toy Story Mania (DHS) by going through the standby line.

No, not yet! That speaking Mickey is just in the planning phases. But, that's another reason to go back.;)

There are no speaking characters other than the face characters. There are a couple of video screen characters that interact with their audiences--Turtle Talk with Crush and The Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor.

Well kind of there are.

There is an experimental talking Mickey but he is not in the parks.

But during stage shows Mickey and few other characters do move their mouths and "lip sync" so be prepared.

Well kind of there are.

There is an experimental talking Mickey but he is not in the parks.

But during stage shows Mickey and few other characters do move their mouths and "lip sync" so be prepared.

I was thinking of characters that could talk directly to OP's child, but yes, there are characters in the shows that appear to be talking.

But if you have never seen them, the characters do "talk." It may not be vocally, but they get their point across. In fact very few children even realize the characters dont actually speak unless an adult points it out. I wouldn't mention it to your kids unless they ask. :thumbsup2

I've found that the "fur" characters like Chip & Dale often make kissing noises, etc. even though they dont technically speak.

Or maybe that's just because I'm so irresistible... ;)

I was thinking of characters that could talk directly to OP's child, but yes, there are characters in the shows that appear to be talking.

I wanted to bring it up just in case. There have been other threads where parents had to think fast on why Mickey can talk on the stage and move his mouth but not at a M&G.

Best answer, he is saving his voice for the show. ;)

It seems like I remember Hook talking to Smee in a skit by PoTC but I might be mistaken.Might have been just over the speakers. I agree that some of the characters are such good mimes that they seem to be talking!!:thumbsup2

Honestly, as a child, I remember once asking my dad why Mickey couldn't talk. My dad told me: "Its cause if he talks to you, you'll never stop talking to him." LOL. I always thought that was hilarious.

As another poster said, if the child doesn't ask, then don't mention it. When I met Thumper in January, and I'm 25, he didn't talk but we communicated just fine through body language.

Plus, when we were in line to get a picture with Mickey, the cutest thing ever happened before us: this two-three year old little girl ran up to Mickey and held onto him for dear life. She hugged him and no words needed to be exchanged. I mean this little girl traveled all the way from Germany (I overheard the Mother saying they had been to DLP but the Characters didn't interact with her too much), and here he was giving her all the attention she wanted. And she stayed with him for like 5 minutes straight. And no guest behind us complained, nor did the CMs say ok time to go. They waited patiently. And I could see the look on her face, she was the happiest child on Earth.
So in the end, my point is: talking isn't necessary. Just the body language makes a whole difference in a childs life.

It seems like I remember Hook talking to Smee in a skit by PoTC but I might be mistaken.Might have been just over the speakers. I agree that some of the characters are such good mimes that they seem to be talking!!:thumbsup2

Some stage shows use fully articulated heads, the character moves its mouth and "lip" syncs to the prerecorded show. Also the eyes blink.

This is the talking character that you have to be able to explain.

My DS6 asks every time..."Mickey, your throat hurts? You can't talk? Mickey has a sore throat?" He totally believes it, but he is worried that Mickey might be sick...He says, "Oh, none of the characters talk? They all have sore throats?"

LOL

I just say, "Yes, they all have sore throats." I also have followed up with, " Everyone wants to talk to all the characters, and if they talked to all the kids, their throats would be so sore!" LOL I am not sure what else to say.

He has not correlated the fact that face characters always talk to him. ;)

Isn't it weird how after you've met a character you forget that they can't talk?!

Like I can telly ou conversations I've had with Mickey and Donald, they are just so good at pantomime, and obviously they 'yes' and 'no' to things you say, so you always have a fun 'conversation'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter