• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st trip without kids

set1208

Mouseketeer
I've been to Disney five times and each time was with my kids. My DH and I are finally going alone and i am filled with anticipation.
No strollers, diapers, naps, cranky kids, early bed times, rider swaps, and my favorite...no Mad Tea Party. That ride makes me so dizzy, lol.

We also decided to get ourselves some annual passes and make this a regular thing for this year. Every kid trip that I've done has involved extensive planning and scheduling because we had to factor in where we will be at every second to make sure we can minimize kid melt downs.

For this trip, we have MNSSHP tickets, breakfast at Boma and Spirit of Aloha reservations. The rest of our week is wide open and I am thrilled. Now with our AP's, we can be leisurely and not feel like we have to pack it all in.

What are some adult things that you like to see or do that you tend to miss out on when you have kids in tow? We have reservations set for the beginning of December too with plans to go to MVMCP. Is it much different than the Halloween party? We usually get the party tix to take advantage of the walk-on rides.

We took a horse & buggy ride last year. It was nice. They have that at The Port Orleans Riverside Resort. You could also see whats happening at The House of Blues.

One of our favorites when we don't have our DD with us is Jellyroll's over at the Boardwalk. It's a great dueling piano bar, occasionally they'll even sneak in a Disney song or two.

We took a horse & buggy ride last year. It was nice. They have that at The Port Orleans Riverside Resort. You could also see whats happening at The House of Blues.
We'll be at POFQ so the buggy ride sounds like a great idea. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have time alone with my DH! Sounds so peaceful. With four kids, my life is never quiet.

One of our favorites when we don't have our DD with us is Jellyroll's over at the Boardwalk. It's a great dueling piano bar, occasionally they'll even sneak in a Disney song or two.
I love that idea! When I was younger, my girlfriends and I used to hit up a great piano bar in providence RI. I've never been to the boardwalk.

My wife and I are in our 60's. We have traveled to WDW with children and grandchildren. Back in 2013 we decided to do it alone. Best vacation ever. So good in fact, we went back that same year. The difference is this. No kids, no schedules, no running to the next attraction, no time to truly enjoy the architecture or the little things that get missed when you are in a hurry or looking to keep everyone accounted for. My wife and I now go down alone every year and we spend time looking at every attraction. We go into the various deluxe hotels and explore. At EPCOT in the World, we take the time to go through every building and take time to talk to the cast members. We have seen more and enjoyed these last couple of trips more than we ever thought possible. It is a slower, more enjoyable trip and when we get back home we are fully refreshed. As for missing the looks of the kids when they first encounter Mickey or see the princesses in the parade, we just borrow those looks from the hundreds of children there and enjoy the look of awe on their faces. If this is your first visit alone, trust me. You will experience more than you ever thought. Good luck and enjoy.

You've planned your trip the way I do and it's amazing this way :) Everything is whatever you feel like doing at any moment. I noticed you only had the 1 adr, it might be harder to get last second reservations but I highly recommend trying to walk into a restaurant you can't get a reservation for before you assume it's not an option. You'll be surprised how many no-shows and last second cancellations there are and plenty of room for you (some of the time).

I do recommend getting some fast passes for your don't want to miss without the kid rides even if your winging it. you can always cancel them if you dont' use them

been going solo for quiet a while - so would suggest at least one character meal - just for fun - that say make sure it has some of your favorite characters. love Cape May Cafe - it has reasonable good food and you can walk afterwards along the BW.

I've been to Disney five times and each time was with my kids. My DH and I are finally going alone and i am filled with anticipation.
No strollers, diapers, naps, cranky kids, early bed times, rider swaps, and my favorite...no Mad Tea Party. That ride makes me so dizzy, lol.

We also decided to get ourselves some annual passes and make this a regular thing for this year. Every kid trip that I've done has involved extensive planning and scheduling because we had to factor in where we will be at every second to make sure we can minimize kid melt downs.

For this trip, we have MNSSHP tickets, breakfast at Boma and Spirit of Aloha reservations. The rest of our week is wide open and I am thrilled. Now with our AP's, we can be leisurely and not feel like we have to pack it all in.

What are some adult things that you like to see or do that you tend to miss out on when you have kids in tow? We have reservations set for the beginning of December too with plans to go to MVMCP. Is it much different than the Halloween party? We usually get the party tix to take advantage of the walk-on rides.

You sound just like us!! We've been 5 times in 5 years with our children and families...have a trip planned for January with my inlaws and their child, so we're going to get APs too.

We've been talking about going "just us" for the last 5 years and yesterday we booked a 3 night/4 day on a whim! I'm SO VERY excited. But I...who plan every little detail, am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this! SO much less pressure and worry about making plans that are suitable for the kiddos/entire group. It's very freeing, but I'm nervous I'm going to mess it up by not planning as much! Also since we'll have APs, we'll be able to park hop and this blows my mind as well, as far as planning.

I know I'll make our FP for the thrill rides (that we never get to ride together) but I'm thinking about just making 1 ADR and winging the rest? We've always done the Deluxe DP, think we're going to do regular or none. But I'm nervous to do that, we always enjoy the food and trying new things. Anyone have advice about not making ADRs, I was thinking it may be easier to get a walk up with just 2 people.

You sound just like us!! We've been 5 times in 5 years with our children and families...have a trip planned for January with my inlaws and their child, so we're going to get APs too.

We've been talking about going "just us" for the last 5 years and yesterday we booked a 3 night/4 day on a whim! I'm SO VERY excited. But I...who plan every little detail, am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this! SO much less pressure and worry about making plans that are suitable for the kiddos/entire group. It's very freeing, but I'm nervous I'm going to mess it up by not planning as much! Also since we'll have APs, we'll be able to park hop and this blows my mind as well, as far as planning.

I know I'll make our FP for the thrill rides (that we never get to ride together) but I'm thinking about just making 1 ADR and winging the rest? We've always done the Deluxe DP, think we're going to do regular or none. But I'm nervous to do that, we always enjoy the food and trying new things. Anyone have advice about not making ADRs, I was thinking it may be easier to get a walk up with just 2 people.

We will be there 5 nights and I booked Boma for breakfast more so because we've never been to that resort and I want to see it. We also booked the luau at the Poly as it was my DH's one request. Those are our only 2 ADR's.

I did FP for each day for the same reason as you but I am so excited to have no real plans. We've been enough that we don't feel the need to pack it all in. Plus we have another trip booked for Dec so the urgency to get it all in isn't there.

We have four kids so I'm most excited to get a week alone with my DH. We missed out on a honeymoon and we never get alone time so being with him in my favorite place is just thrilling. I'm a super planner too but we each need a break from our various lives and it'll be so nice to decide as we go.

My wife and I are in our 60's. We have traveled to WDW with children and grandchildren. Back in 2013 we decided to do it alone. Best vacation ever. So good in fact, we went back that same year. The difference is this. No kids, no schedules, no running to the next attraction, no time to truly enjoy the architecture or the little things that get missed when you are in a hurry or looking to keep everyone accounted for. My wife and I now go down alone every year and we spend time looking at every attraction. We go into the various deluxe hotels and explore. At EPCOT in the World, we take the time to go through every building and take time to talk to the cast members. We have seen more and enjoyed these last couple of trips more than we ever thought possible. It is a slower, more enjoyable trip and when we get back home we are fully refreshed. As for missing the looks of the kids when they first encounter Mickey or see the princesses in the parade, we just borrow those looks from the hundreds of children there and enjoy the look of awe on their faces. If this is your first visit alone, trust me. You will experience more than you ever thought. Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks! Epcot is definitely something I look forward to as well. My youngest kids are in elementary school and doing the world showcase has always been torture (for me and them...lol). I can't wait to get a chance to really appreciate it.

been going solo for quiet a while - so would suggest at least one character meal - just for fun - that say make sure it has some of your favorite characters. love Cape May Cafe - it has reasonable good food and you can walk afterwards along the BW.
I felt that my DH would be turns off by character meals but I may just sneak one in, just to add some fun to his life. He's a little boring, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter