1st trip with another family-ideas?

Karmel96

Wherever you go...there you are!
We will be going to Disney World the first week of December :cool1: We are going with our best friends and their kids, so, including our kids, we will be with kids ages 13, 12, and two 9 year olds (one being almost 10). We each have our own room at POR.

So-thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions? I'm looking for anything-touring plans, ADR's, down time, etc. I tend to be the planning guru and I know b/c we have 4 adults I'm going to need to compromise some (well, not for my husband-he loves it when I do all the planning and he just has to show up!:thumbsup2). We want to spend a lot of time together but I also know we need to have some time apart as well.

Thanks for your expertise! :)

I think the best thing you can do is set expectations before you arrive.

Understand how each family prefers to:
-Dine (CS vs TS, times, etc)
-Handle gift shops (will one family rush out so kids don't have time to browse while the other is more indulgent?)
-Park touring (see, ride everything or concentrate on certain attractions, wait in long lines or avoid them, etc)

My sister and her family vacationed with close friends a few years ago and she came home with stories of how the other family wouldn't let their kids browse the shops, had their kids share meals (sounded like they were more on a budget trip) and the dad having to eat on a schedule. Hey it worked for them :thumbsup2 but the 2 families didn't discuss details like that so there were a few uncomfortable situations.

Are you planning the trip details together so you all understand the dining schedule, start time for the day, etc? If you're all on the same page you should be ok. And don't be afraid to schedule a day away from each other! I'm sure a break will be good for all no matter how close you all are.

Have fun!

It's going to be different for every 2 families on the planet.

When we go with another family there really is nothing to "plan". We are probably going to tour together unless somebody wants to go do something else, then for that period we don't tour together.

It's usually just relaxed and everyone is happy to do what everyone else wants to do. We have done commando, we have done NO plan at all. We have gone with 3 families too, and I don't ever remember an uncomfortable, "They aren't doing what I want to do" moment, lol.

I always say, "The more the merrier", and like vacationing with other folks.

YMMV.

Plan YOUR activities & give the other family the option of joining you or making their own plans. Maybe try to meet up for dinner if you end up going your separate ways.

My family met up with my best friend, her hubby, mother-in-law and daughter for a 4 day trip over Labor Day week. It was hot, and as you know, every family handles heat differently. So, the big thing is be flexible. :goodvibes

Before we went, we decides which parks on which days. We the decided where we wanted to eat and got ressies as needed. We then asked everyone what their top 4 things to do in each park were. This helped to figure out a plan for the parks. Sometimes weather and lines threw a wrench in the plan, but we were able to please everyone and not have any fights. We also set aside times for us to just to individual family things. H

Hope this helps!!

We went with our best friends and their kids back in 2005. So it was 4 adults and 5 kids (7, 5, 3 and 3 and 2).

We made a few dining reservations together, such as HDDR, we went to the Halloween party together, had lunch at LTT together (just walked in). But, they would go back to their rooms earlier than us, because their kids would turn to piles of junk.

The mom and I had discussed it prior to going, we would meet up, tour together and then if one family was done, go our separate ways and meet up later. It worked for us.

It was hard sometimes, like the morning of AK, the kids all ate before leaving the room or the bus, got to the park, we were on the way to the Safari and their kids had to eat. I was like "what, they just ate", I did not want to stop, I was in my "mode". We did, but I was a bit annoyed, shortly after they need a drink..etc. They left that park within 3 hours of arriving. My dh is like, going back to room and swimming sounds great (mind you it was hot), I told him go ahead, the kids and I will stay and tour. He choose to stick with us. :rotfl: The boys are like me, the heat does not bother them, they don't whine and complain, we just go. Their kids, just melt, turn to junk, whine alot.

So just be prepared, you can start off together, go separate and meet up later. If it works it works. If not, do not sweat it.

Open communication!!! Since they are "best" friends that shouldn't be a problem.

If they are not Guru-planners. Offer to give them some tips, help with Dining Reservations. And go with the flow... Don't feel that you "have to" follow each other around.

Possibly plan to head to the parks together (if you are all morning ppl) and then go your separate ways in the afternoon. Maybe meet back up for dinner.

Thanks for all the ideas (and support!). We are trying to plan a little at a time-first we decided when and for how long, then where. Now we are discussing ADR's since our 180 mark is in May. We will work those with what days we go to each park (I use Touring Plans and Tour Guide Mike). We haven't discussed MVMCP yet, but I'm going to work on that one...:thumbsup2

After that, I think we may just let the chips fall where they may.;)

Thanks again all! If there's anything I'm missing or you think would be helpful, please let me know!

I agree you need to have a dialogue about needs and travelling styles. When my family stayed with another in Australia, what should have been a great trip was very stressful. I have major problems keeping up my blood sugar and the family just never understood that despite the large breakfast they made for us in the morning, I still needed to eat something every few hours until dinner. And they frequently had us off doing things where food wasn't easily accessible so I spent a lot of that trip stressed and sick feeling.

As far as talking, I would say by virtue of the fact that you are here and a "planning guru" as you say, you're probably way more into Disney than they are. I would make sure to ask a few questions but phrase them like it doesn't sound like you're giving them the third degree. So I would ask:

1) Do you guys tend to prefer more quick meals or sit-down?
2) Are you morning or evening people?
3) Do you want your trip to be really busy, or more laid back?
4) Does your family like shopping?

That should cover the main bases. And just make sure there's no medical conditions or anything to take into consideration. From what you learn about each other, I would plan to do a few things together each day (ie a meal, meet for Wishes, etc.) and then any other time you spend together just wing it. The kids might all want to go off in a pack to ride Mexico while you enjoy some margaritas. Maybe nobody can agree on what to do at HS so you split up. Just go with the flow. Offer them planning advice if they want it, but otherwise just enjoy the trip! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter