1st trip to WDW - Newbie questions regarding strategy

cobeetle

Earning My Ears
The flights were cheap, so I booked for 12 days in late August in the Orlando area. This is most likely the once-in-a-lifetime Disney trip for my wife and 2 kids (11 & 14), so I want to do it right. My wife is not a big theme park fan (doesn't like crowds or "techie" stuff), so I have to make sure we have enough other things to do. Obviously 12 days at WDW is beyond what we want to do, but I can really see doing 6 days - especially if we "break up" the sessions.

So, what I am considering is to do two 3-day stints at the Resort. In addition to Kennedy Space Center and some of the local nature spots, beaches and historical sites, we can check into the Resort for two separate sessions during our 12 day stay. The Disney website says we can use the Park Passes for 14 days from 1st use. Can we start our use at a Water Park?

No plans have been made yet, but would getting a 6 day pass, with 2 sets of Resort accomodations, plus the Disney Dining Plan work? What I'm thinking is travel around central Florida 4 days > Visit WDW 3 days > Visit other Central Florida sites 2 days > Finish out trip with 3 days at WDW (= 6 days at WDW).

Some additional questions: 1) Once you pay admission to Disney Quest, do they charge for the activities inside? Or does the entry fee pay for whatever you want to do inside like the rest of the Park? 2) Does every resort have free parking space? Can we leave a vehicle in the lot while we use the shuttles? 3) Are shuttle buses within WDW free? How about the boat shuttles? 4) Does WDW offer free airport transportation to and from the Resorts? If so, why are there companies that charge to do the same thing? 5) Please excuse an ignorant question from a westerner, but what are the chances for a hurricane in late August? Should I consider buying vacation insurance? Thank you all this site is great!

The Disney website says we can use the Park Passes for 14 days from 1st use. Can we start our use at a Water Park? Sure, you can start your use at whatever park you choose provided you purchase a ticket with the water option. If not, you will have to purchase your water tickets at the gate.

No plans have been made yet, but would getting a 6 day pass, with 2 sets of Resort accomodations, plus the Disney Dining Plan work? What I'm thinking is travel around central Florida 4 days > Visit WDW 3 days > Visit other Central Florida sites 2 days > Finish out trip with 3 days at WDW (= 6 days at WDW). This gets kind of tricky because if you want the dining plan you have to buy everything as part of the package with a minimum of one day pass, hotel, and the DDP. So breaking it up could cost you slightly more - but you'd need to verify specifics. Also, the DDP goes with the NIGHTS staying at the resort and expire at midnight on the day of your check-out - they don't go our 14 days. So you couldn't carry over unused credits from the first part of your stay to the second. I'm assuming you haven't made any ADRs yet so see if you can get any at the restaurants for the time/day you want and work that into your equation on deciding if you even want the DDP.

Some additional questions: 1) Once you pay admission to Disney Quest, do they charge for the activities inside? Or does the entry fee pay for whatever you want to do inside like the rest of the Park? I've never done DQ (not my thing) but I don't believe there is anything additional you are charged for in regards to activities. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.2) Does every resort have free parking space? Resorts have free parking for the guests of the resort. If you are visiting a resort (for dinner or just to explore) they will give you a pass for a brief few hours stay.Can we leave a vehicle in the lot while we use the shuttles? If you are a guest of that resort you can leave your car in the parking lot and use the Disney transportation for that resort - that could be bus, monorail or boat.3) Are shuttle buses within WDW free? How about the boat shuttles? The internal Disney transportation is free and that includes busses, monorail, boat.4) Does WDW offer free airport transportation to and from the Resorts? If so, why are there companies that charge to do the same thing? Disney has a free service called Magical Express that transports guests to and from the airport. The only way this would work for you is if you bookended your trip with a Disney stay. Other services are out there because some people like the more direct service they get, or shopping trip, or other perks of those services. We have had good luck with ME and will continue to use it. 5) Please excuse an ignorant question from a westerner, but what are the chances for a hurricane in late August? Should I consider buying vacation insurance? Insurance is a personal preference and you'll have to decide that on your own. I purchase the insurance because thats my preference. If I'm going to plunk a several thousand dollars down I'm comfortable with the extra $125 to ensure that everything is covered in the even of a disaster., emergency or lifes little problems. It might be more costly for you to get it through Disney since you will in essence have two separate reservations. If you did get insurance I would recommend going with a company external to Disney.

Holy smokes that's alot! Well, first let me say congrats on your trip. I'll do my best on answering what I can here and I'm sure you will get others to pipe in with their thoughts too.

I answered most of your questions within the quote. Since it seems like you are fairly new to all of this and it's a once in a life time trip I recommend you make full use of one of the planning books/Web sites. I use the Unofficial Guide, TourGuide Mike, and frequent this site altogether. It helps me get the most bang for my buck.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the DIS:love: :hippie: Great questions and latexscooter answered most of them very well. I will add my thoughts.
The DDP is part of the Magic Your Way package. So you would need to have hotel reservations, park tickets and at least a one day base ticket for each of your 3 night stays. Having to buy 3 day tickets rather than 6 day tickets might make it too expensive. You can not use the 6 day ticket on your second 3 night stay for the DDP. Also it is very late for making Table Service restaurants for the more popular restaurants. People begin making them 180 days in advance. Look at the menus here on the DIS as well as allearsnet.com and see where you would like to eat. Then call Disney Dining and insure that you can even get ADR's for the time and places you want to eat. You want to insure you can use the DDP credits. You can book ADR's even before your hotel.
You can start the 14 day use of your tickets in any park, including the water parks.
All Disney transportation is free, and pretty efficient. We always use Disney transportation, not having to drive is part of our vacation. There is plenty of parking available at each resort. You could park your car for your stay and use the complimentary parking if you chose to.
We now also use DME to get to and from the airport. We have rented a car, used a Town Car Service and now DME. We love the convenience of DME> But this would only work for the transporation directly to and from MCO. You would still need a car for all of your other time in Florida.
August is hurricane season. I don't think it is possible to "predict" the risk of a hurricane occuring during your visit (The experts don't do a very good job of it :rotfl2: ) That said, hurricanes more frequently strike the coastal areas and less often Central Florida. You may find a day or two of heavy rain, but that is usually about it. I am considering Travel Insurance, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
Happy Planning. The DIS is great for that. I also use TGM and the UG and I have the Passporter Guide Book. For me, the planning is a big part of the fun.
Have a Plan and have a wonderful trip.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwplan.htm

http://allearsnet.com/pl/planning.htm

Here are 2 wonderful info resources for planning.
Only 3 days for WDW? Both MK and Epcot require at least 2 days apiece to do them justice! I think you will want to allow much more time. I've had an AP for 10 years, I go about 8 weekends a year and I still do something new every time I go!

A little very important advise:
Drink lots of water, dehydration can happen very quickly in Orlando in August. Wear sunscreen! Wear only the most suitable shoes, you will be walking literally miles.
Enjoy the magic! pixiedust:

The flights were cheap, so I booked for 12 days in late August in the Orlando area. This is most likely the once-in-a-lifetime Disney trip for my wife and 2 kids (11 & 14), so I want to do it right. My wife is not a big theme park fan (doesn't like crowds or "techie" stuff), so I have to make sure we have enough other things to do. Obviously 12 days at WDW is beyond what we want to do, but I can really see doing 6 days - especially if we "break up" the sessions.

"Doing it right" for many of us here is not leaving disney property mid-trip.

The fact that I can park my car at the begining of my trip and not move it until the day I leave is part of the appeal of Disney for me.

All Disney transportation, inclding the Airport Bus (Magical Express) is free to WDW guests.

What kinds of things does your wife enjoy? Would she enjoy a Spa day? She can do that at WDW.

Does she enjoy fine dining? Many of the resorts restaurants are spectacular.
(BTW no matter where you are staying, you can eat at any of the resorts)

You don't say if your kids are boys or girls, if they are girls, the Grand Floridian has a lovely afternoon tea, that is perfect for Moms and daughters.

Would she enjoy dinner shows like tha Luau or Hoop Dee Doo Revue?

Fireworks Cruise?

Behind the scenes tours? WDW has many of those.

What about Cirque du Soleil? Would she enjoy that?

Golf? WDW has some amazing golf courses.

Fishing? Boating? Parasailing?

If any of these activities sound good, you may want to consider the premium dining package which includes shows, tours and activities.

If you want any more info on these activities, these boards are the place to ask.

If you decide that you still want to take in some other Florida activities, and use the DDP, the best thing would be to not break up your stay. You can only get the DDP as part of a package (room, tickets and food) You'll have to buy tickets for each 3 night stay and 6 day tickets are so much cheaper than 2 sets of 3 day tickets.

BTW, other than the Space Center, where else were you considering going?

You may want to look into how cheap adding 1-2 days to your park passes will be. By the time you are adding the 7th or 8th day it literally can be less than $10. That way you have flexibility if you want to spend more time in the World!

Just a note to add to the previous poster, I upgraded my 5 day hopper to a seven day hopper for $4. Doesnt get any cheaper than that. I think it is important to note that WDW is not your typical amusement park. It is very family oriented, and not based ona quick thrill, which is what other amusement parks are like. I myself am not a big fan of amusement parks, but I do not put WDW in that category. It is much more. The OP mentioned that his wife does not enjoy amusement parks. If she doesnt like crowds, that cant be helped, but if it is the rides she doesnt like, It is important to know that most rides are very mild, my momwent with us last time and could ride almost anything, with the exception of the big thrills. It is also important to note that if you dont like rides, you can enjoy all the theming of the pre-ride show and take the chicken exit, so you are not waiting outside for your family to ride. Unfortunately, you will not realize how different WDW is in comparison to other theme parks, until you experience it.

Hi, I just wanted to add that I took my children 12 and 8 for the first time in Jan. for a week and we sure would have liked a few more days. There is sooooo much to do and see. We hit a park every day and still did not see everything. The best thing in the world was using ME and flying in and not having to worry about anything. You are taken to your hotel and able to get around everywhere by disney transportation. It is all free. You said your wife isn't into theme parks but Disney is like no other. I am also not into thrill rides but love the world because I can go on almost everything and enjoy. I also love restaurants, shops, parades(spectro) and visiting the hotels. You will have an amazing time even without leaving Disney property.

I would plan on taking the kids to the Universal Parks. They have a ticket special for $85 for 7 days unlimited access to both parks. If you stay onsite there will be a lovely hotel for your wife to relax in while you and the kids enjoy unlimited express access to all of the rides and attractions.

I have to chime in here and WARN :eek: you about the weather conditions. We went at the exact same time last year and had our plans messed up by the rain. It will rain - every single day - from about 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. This will be rain like you've NEVER SEEN (as much as 4" per day). It's not cold or particularly unpleasant and it actually lowers the humidity, but it does cause chaos! The indoor attractions will be mobbed, and some very significant outdoor attractions will close, most notably (for us anyway) are Test Track, Lights, Motors, Action, Kali River Rapids and lots of the kid's rides at MK.

Where every you go and what every you decide to do, make sure you schedule your important stuff in the mornings so you don't miss them. We made this mistake and as we were only in DW for 3 days we didn't have a chance to regroup.

Also, pick up your rental car at the airport. It's not hard to navigate from there to WDW and I wouldn't waste 1 minute waiting for shuttles if I didn't have to. If you're staying at a Disney property parking at the parks is free, so I really recommend you drive from your hotel each morning. Way, way, way quicker and more efficient.

Have a great trip.

:wave2: Annette

I'd get your wife on here and let her read some posts. I wouldn't be so sure that you won't want more time in the parks. 12 days really isn't all that much time when you're talking about a place the size of WDW. There is so much to see and do. If she's not into some of the 'typical' 6-Flags type of parks - that has nothing to do with Disney. They make a very good living out of being unique and having something for literally everyone!

As for insurance - mousesavers.com recommends www.InsureMyTrip.com - mousesavers is a very reputable site with only legitimate savings mentioned.

As for nature sites, we really enjoy Clearwater Beach on the Gulf side and think the nightly sunset festival is alot of fun. Take several small bills for the performers. See: http://www.sunsetsatpier60.com/

Wekiva Springs State Park is not too far from Orlando. Do a google Search - lovely spot for renting canoes.

Finally, please have a good touring plan that includes "Best Days" in formation. The three I've used and recommend are www.tourguidemike.com, the Unofficial Guide (you have to subscribe to their companion site to get the "Best Days" information) and www.buildabettermousetrip.com (more expensive but they do all the planning for you). They're all very good and will save many hours wasted in long, boring lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter