1st Trip to WDW for Kids Looking for good Strategy!

Epcot - go to Soarin then Test track

DHS - Go to TOT then Rockn roller coaster

AK - Go to Expedition Everest then the safari

MK - Go to any of the mountains first.

This is what we do when we want to get these rides in. Some others may have other suggestions. However, we like to do fantasy land rides too, so some days we go directly to peter pan (which can get to be a long wait later in the day).

I vote for the hopper. Especially if you take a break in the am, you could do the morning emh at one park, then when you return, you could do another park which would most likely be less crowded....JMO

Have fun!

I think you should get the park hoppers-it seems like that would work out best for you. Also, don't skip DHS....

Go to a park a day for the first 4 days, then pick whichever you liked best to go back to on the 5th day.

I would also agree that a service like TGM might be really helpful for you. Also, I would definitely consider the park hopper; for instance on your AK day they may be closing at 5 pm but MK might be open until 10 YKWIM? So, to maximise the way you want to tour, you should consider it.

This is a REALLY good point. If you guys aren't doing park hoppers you REALLY need to plan which day has which opening and closing times so you can see fireworks, parades and be there at rope drop. It also means you need to plan your meal out at the park you are going to be at/ a resort hotel NOW. I think not having a park hopper may have save you a bit of money but may add extra stress! You need to be super organised! I would recomend Tour Guide Mike if you are doing commando style (as we like to call it :rotfl: ), as he will tell you what rides to do when with the least amount of queing. I have never done this, as i always go for two weeks at a time (being a Brit and all) so take it a more relaxed pace. However that does limit your freedom to do as you like, so its a bit of a balancing act.

We are thrill ride people too and we love amusement parks, but Disney is not your average amusment park and it really isn't about the thrill rides either. Now, don't get me wrong, there are a some thrill rides, but not many when you think that there are four parks and hundreds of attractions. In my opinion the only "thrill" rides are: Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain at Magic Kingdom (some may say Splash Mountain, but it just has that one drop at the end); Test Track and Mission Space at Epcot (some may say Soarin, but I would call it a headliner and it is one of my very favorites, but it's not a "thrill" ride); Expedition Everest and Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom; and Tower of Terror (our all-time family favorite "thrill" ride in WDW or anywhere else!) and Rockin' Roller Coaster at Disney Studios at MGM. That's really all the "thrill" rides at WDW. Don't discount all of the other great stuff as "kiddie rides" and slow stuff. Disney is unique and pretty much everything there deserves at least one visit - What about It's a Small World, Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic, Buzz Lightyear, Spaceship Earth, The Living Seas, The World Showcase, Kilamanjaro Safari, Bugs Life, Festival of the Lion King, Star Tours, The Great Movie Ride, Beauty and the Beast Live? None of them are "thrill" rides, but it just wouldn't be a trip to Disney if I missed them. I would have to agree with the people who have said spend at least 1 day in each park and go back to your favorite on the fifth day. Just my opinion though.

:thumbsup2. I will say this again (even though you've probably heard it by now) DON't miss HS (or MGM) it is the highlight of my trip. Without Tower of Terror or Rockin' Rollercoaster my trip would be a wash out. If the park is too small for you, take the rest of the day as a 'relax' and have a swim by the pool! To be honest i like the slow stuff to, so i could easily spend a day.

Epcot - go to Soarin then Test track I totally agree with this, EVERYONE will 'rush' for Soarin'. Follow the heard to the right hand side of the park. Have your map ready!
DHS - Go to TOT then Rockn roller coaster I also agree, but Toy Story Mania (a new ride) is the one to go to straight after, cause that queue will build up!
AK - Go to Expedition Everest then the safari Haven't been on EE, but i'm guessing thats right
MK - Go to any of the mountains first. I suggest Space first. There will be those rushing for Dumbo, and those for the mountains. I always go Space, Splash, Big Thunder. I often find that splash takes the longest to 'get going' so you could be queuing whilst you could of already ridden Space and only 2 minutes further back in the queue

This is what we do when we want to get these rides in. Some others may have other suggestions. However, we like to do fantasy land rides too, so some days we go directly to peter pan (which can get to be a long wait later in the day).

I vote for the hopper. Especially if you take a break in the am, you could do the morning emh at one park, then when you return, you could do another park which would most likely be less crowded....JMO

Have fun!

My other 'must do's' are
MK- Pirates (just for the fun!) but its a quick loading ride, so no need to rush to it. Mickey's Philharmagic for the pure Disney spirit! Carosel of Progress- i am one of the only people still saying this but a trip to Disney without it is not worth going! Buzz Astroblasters- My family love it!

Epcot- Test Track and Soarin' (for obvious reasons), personally not Mission Space cause just hearing about that ride makes me wanna hurl! However if you are big ride fans, this is not to be missed! Innoventions- my family love the hands on stuff, its a great way to spend an hour. Norway's ride- no where near as good as splash, but its good fun all the same!

HM (aka MGM)- TOT and RnR! Haven't done Toy Story Mania yet, but the reviews look great! The Great Movie Ride- just for nostalgia! Star Tours (not for me anymore, cause it makes me wanna hurl, but others like it!) Lights, Motors, Action! Thats a good show!

AK- Safari, EE, Kai River Rapids (only if you dont mind getting wet!), Dinosaur- again makes me wanna hurl, but its good fun!

I don't know what made you think HS wasn't worth a visit, if i could drop any it would be Animal Kingdom, but i guess thats a matter of taste! :goodvibes

Hope you have a fab trip and report back!

a few thoughts on a 5 day itinerary...

first, i would recommend getting the fun n more option for the water parks and Disneyquest at downtown disney. i know you weren't planning on waterparks. We used to skip the waterparks every trip and then finally went 3 trips ago. All we kept saying was "why did we skip these for so long, they are incredible". Now we make the waterparks a part of every trip, it is actually one of our highlights. We also use the waterparks as a "down day" from pounding the pavement at the parks. We find the waterparks to be very therapeautic for the muscles and joints, and a ton of fun too.

Disneyquest is an incredible 4 story arcade and game complex at Downtown Disney. They have tons of the latest, greatest and retro games. Also, 3d and interactive and creative attractions. A good place to spend indoors out of hte hot sun.

Cirque Du Soleil La Nouba at Downtown is absolutely amazing and in our opinion more than worth the price of admission. We will be seeing it for our second time this year.

As far as the parks go, i would focus most on avoiding the heat and conserving strenght. June is hot and pounding the pavement at the parks is exhausting, especially if you are trying to cram so much in. splitting your day up by going back to the room is good for cooling off and staying out of hte heat but be aware that it burns up a lot of time. traveling to and fro and going thru the main gates will burn about 1-1/2 hrs. RT, unless on monorail. We have found that getting back to the room feels great but we couldn't settle down and sleep. Then there is the battle of staying late at the park and having to get up early the next morning. We find our bodies to be tired and sore, to not get enough rest only compounds the problem.

Another time killer is table service restaurants. With reservations, meals take about 1-1/2 hrs. total time from check in to seating to paying the bill and getting outside again. We love the restaurants and use them to cool off and relax as well as get a good meal.

Anyway, i probably haven't addressed your initial request on how to see everything of interest to your family, but i thought i would share some things that we found shape the schedule and planning of our trips (7 since 2007)

a few thoughts on a 5 day itinerary...

first, i would recommend getting the fun n more option for the water parks and Disneyquest at downtown disney. i know you weren't planning on waterparks. We used to skip the waterparks every trip and then finally went 3 trips ago. All we kept saying was "why did we skip these for so long, they are incredible". Now we make the waterparks a part of every trip, it is actually one of our highlights. We also use the waterparks as a "down day" from pounding the pavement at the parks. We find the waterparks to be very therapeautic for the muscles and joints, and a ton of fun too.

Disneyquest is an incredible 4 story arcade and game complex at Downtown Disney. They have tons of the latest, greatest and retro games. Also, 3d and interactive and creative attractions. A good place to spend indoors out of hte hot sun.

Cirque Du Soleil La Nouba at Downtown is absolutely amazing and in our opinion more than worth the price of admission. We will be seeing it for our second time this year.

As far as the parks go, i would focus most on avoiding the heat and conserving strenght. June is hot and pounding the pavement at the parks is exhausting, especially if you are trying to cram so much in. splitting your day up by going back to the room is good for cooling off and staying out of hte heat but be aware that it burns up a lot of time. traveling to and fro and going thru the main gates will burn about 1-1/2 hrs. RT, unless on monorail. We have found that getting back to the room feels great but we couldn't settle down and sleep. Then there is the battle of staying late at the park and having to get up early the next morning. We find our bodies to be tired and sore, to not get enough rest only compounds the problem.

Another time killer is table service restaurants. With reservations, meals take about 1-1/2 hrs. total time from check in to seating to paying the bill and getting outside again. We love the restaurants and use them to cool off and relax as well as get a good meal.

Anyway, i probably haven't addressed your initial request on how to see everything of interest to your family, but i thought i would share some things that we found shape the schedule and planning of our trips (7 since 2007)

I have really gone back in forth on the water parks. But I just figured with only 5 days and most likely the only time we will take our children that we would just do the 4 main parks.

Anyone else have thoughts about whether or not we do water parks.

Thanks.

I have really gone back in forth on the water parks. But I just figured with only 5 days and most likely the only time we will take our children that we would just do the 4 main parks.

Anyone else have thoughts about whether or not we do water parks.

Thanks.

If you just have 5 days and have never been before I would not worry about water parks, you simply don't have enough time for that and DQ etc...
The hoppers are probably not needed, as like you said, you can spend a whole day at each park, and if for some reason you want to hop, you can always upgrade while you are there.
For me AK and MGM are half day parks, everyone is suggesting MGM to you because you said you like thrill rides and the 2 biggie ones are there.

your other possible strategy is get hoppers, do Mk one day, 1/2 day at MGM, Ak or Epcot, and just try each one for a few hours, then your last 3 days spend time at the ones you enjoyed the most

If you just have 5 days and have never been before I would not worry about water parks, you simply don't have enough time for that and DQ etc...
The hoppers are probably not needed, as like you said, you can spend a whole day at each park, and if for some reason you want to hop, you can always upgrade while you are there.
For me AK and MGM are half day parks, everyone is suggesting MGM to you because you said you like thrill rides and the 2 biggie ones are there.

your other possible strategy is get hoppers, do Mk one day, 1/2 day at MGM, Ak or Epcot, and just try each one for a few hours, then your last 3 days spend time at the ones you enjoyed the most
I totally agree. Since this is your first trip at WDW, skip the water parks and DQ. Also, unless you are doing both water parks it is not worth it to add the water parks and more option to your ticket anyway. I also don't think you need the park hopper since it is your first visit. I think the only day you might possibly hop is the last day and the money it will cost to put the hoopers on your base just isn't worth it. I'd stick with the plan to do a park a day and then revisit your favorite on the last day. If you are getting the dining plan you need to plan one sit-down meal per day, to get your monies worth out of the plan. If you are not doing the dining plan, then I would just make a couple of ADRs if you are planning on doing any sit-down or character meals or you may not get in anywhere.

I'm bored right now so I will give you a plan for the parks.

MK
Space Mt. (roller coaster light) Get Fast Passes and ride Buzz
Buzz Light Year (arcade shootem up ride)

Splash Mt. (Water ride you my get a little wet) Get fast pass and ride Mickey's Phil Harmonic
Mickey's Phil Harmonic. (don’t miss it, I repeat I love this!)

Thunder Mt. (very light roller coaster) Get fast pass and ride Hunted House
Hunted House (just what it sounds like but very well done)
Pirates (cooler of relax and watch pirates sing)

Sit down for parade 45 minutes early at least.

Where to eat?
Crystal Palace for BK (gets you into park an hour early)
Mexican place near pirates for counter service lunch
The Harbor House (fish and chips good AC and has an upstairs that’s fun to sit in)
Liberty Tree Tavern (cheese stick are great and also try the pot roast!!)
California Grill (Upscale but has my favorite dish ever - free range chicken - really its to die for!!!)

Disney Studios (MGM)
Get a fast pass and ride Rock n Roll roller coaster
Ride Tower of Terror and go back and ride coaster again.

Grab star tour fast pass
Watch Muppets 3D (I like it)

Go to Stunt Show and India Jones Show both worth watching.

Little mermaid has my vote even if I am a 34 your old man's man. It’s done very well and is very cold!!!! Great way to cool off.

Never rode the new ride Toy story Ride... if you want to go I would get fast pass or ride before coasters.

Movie ride is fun but can be missed. (ducks head)

Where to eat?
I have no favorites here although I hear people love the place where your "mom" from the 50's feeds you. I eat at the pizza place for lunch or head over for a late sit down lunch at Epcot.

Epcot
Do not miss Soarin. Go here first, get a fast pass, ride, and then re-ride.
Mission space is a thrill!!!
Get a fast pass for Test track and go to Nemo or Honey I Shrunk...

You got to go up into the ball even if it is just to cool off.

Places to eat:
Lunch - Fish and chips in Britain
Lunch/Dinner Upscale Le Cel. Canada (very hard to get reservations for)

AK
Go to Safari fist. One of the longest waits and animals are out more in the morning.

If you can get to Everest and get fast pass before safari and ride Everest second.

Don’t miss Dinosaur (thrill ride) and the bird show is worth watching. I would skip the petting area.

The rapids are a fast pass ride fore sure. Fast pass rapids then ride dinosaur.

The lion king show and Nemo shows are both fun.

Where to eat:
I did not like the rain forest cafe like most people. Neat place to eat but the food is average.

I always eat BBQ.

If are going “Commando” you can do the following
Arrive 30 minutes before opening
MK 1 Day Spectro and Wishes at night
DS(MGM) 1 day Fantasimic at night
AK/ EP 1 day Fire Works at EP at night.
Last Day I spend at MK for nostalgic reasons.
1 open day for repeats or water park.

Go for the experience and don’t expect rides that go 100 MPH.
Go for the food…. Not counter service but there are some really great places to eat.
Stay on property at Moderate or better if you can afford.
Let yourself be a kid again!!!

Again this is my high points and every one on the board would pick a different plan. I hope you get hooked like me.

If you are going for five days, I recommend:

spend one day at each of the FOUR main parks

use the UG touring plans--there are more on the website than in the book

spend your fifth day at whichever park your family chooses--everyone here has their own opinion which park should be the fifth--decide after the first four days

do NOT pay $$$$$ for the park hoppers--especially if you have never been before there is PLENTY to keep you occupied in each park for at least one day

if you use ADULT plans from UG you will skip the kiddie rides--give everything else a chance--see/do it once--you never know what one of you might love--you dont have to do it again unless you want to

hit each park at rope drop aka opening time

avoid EMH--if you follow the recommended park on the UG website, you will already do this unless there is a good reason not to

with people the ages of your party, do NOT bother to leave the parks for a break--it takes up alot of time--sit down somewhere and have a snack, cold drink, or ice cream if someone is tired--this is often sufficient for parties without very small children

have a wonderful magical vacation
;)

Thanks again for all the great info. You have convinced me we will add HS as one of the main days and then use the 5th day for going back to the park we most want to revist. But I am already counting on that being the MK.

I still am not sold on the Park Hopper. While it is not a lot of extra money compared to the ticket prices, it is still an extra $200. That's a couple of meals out. It just seems like, except for maybe the last day, we could easily spend a whole day at a park and hopping from park to park just takes time.

I think you misunderstood when I told you we all liked thrill rides. I just was just trying to let everyone know that all of us would ride anything. I know a lot of kids are afraid of certain type of rides and I was just letting you know that we didn't have those limitations. I said this because...

I was really hoping as I originally posted, that my replies would tell me how to get started, what would be the first ride we should go to at RD and then the next ride etc.

Maybe I should ask it this way. In your opinion what are the top 4-5 ride at each park that are very popular and that we should probably plan to hit first at RD?

Thanks again.

I think you are 100% correct about park hoppers. Especially since it is your first trip, your family can easily spend the whole day in one park. And saving $200 is nothing to sneeze at! We are doing it this way this time also. We realized the only reason we ever hopped in the past was because it was included in the price of admission but that is no longer true so I voted for using the money saved for something else.

Thanks again for all the great info. You have convinced me we will add HS as one of the main days and then use the 5th day for going back to the park we most want to revist. But I am already counting on that being the MK.

I still am not sold on the Park Hopper. While it is not a lot of extra money compared to the ticket prices, it is still an extra $200. That's a couple of meals out. It just seems like, except for maybe the last day, we could easily spend a whole day at a park and hopping from park to park just takes time.

I think you misunderstood when I told you we all liked thrill rides. I just was just trying to let everyone know that all of us would ride anything. I know a lot of kids are afraid of certain type of rides and I was just letting you know that we didn't have those limitations. I said this because...

I was really hoping as I originally posted, that my replies would tell me how to get started, what would be the first ride we should go to at RD and then the next ride etc.

Maybe I should ask it this way. In your opinion what are the top 4-5 ride at each park that are very popular and that we should probably plan to hit first at RD?

Thanks again.

I would HIGHLY recommend going to the Unofficial Guide site and doing research there. I didn't follow their plan to the letter--but all the advice about using Fastpasses and what time of day to do certain rides, etc. was spot on. After reading up and familiarizing myself with a basic plan, I really didn't refer to the printed one much. As I posted earlier, we kept wait times down to less than 20 minutes all week. The one thing I do suggest is to make sure the WHOLE family is on board from the beginning. I talked to the kids and made sure they knew that if we skipped something they wanted to do, we'd come back at a less busy time. After the first day, my ADHD hubby (who can't STAND to wait in line) looked at me and said "Honey, you ROCK!" That was all I needed to know--the money for UG was worth it!

have been using the UG books for 20 years...have followed their one-day plans over & over. The plans for adults in the books do not skip many of the rides, only the seriously "preschooler" rides like Dumbo in the MK. For example, in May, we were at rope-drop in MK for early extra hour (8:00 a.m. opening) and by 11:20, we had done Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Swiss Family Treehouse, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain & Mickey's Philharmagic...and we had taken a Dole Whip snack break in there, too. Daughter's friend, who had been to WDW many times with his family, actually called his mom mid-morning to tell her she wouldn't believe how many rides he'd already been on...he said they'd never gotten that many rides done in an entire day at the park, much less done in one morning. We were walking out of the Magic Kingdom by noon, just when the crowds & lines were getting crazy. (As we left, we walked past Peter Pan...stand by line posted waiting time was 60 minutes. We had walked right on early in the morning.) We went back to hotel, had a leisurely lunch & a swim and then went to Epcot in late afternoon for dinner & the Epcot late extra hours.

I say spend the $$ on park hoppers, even if you have to eat peanut butter! With limited time, you really want to maximise your experience, and as the UG will tell you, the best way to do this is by being in the right park at the right times, and taking advantage of extra hours in the parks. Sometimes that means you will get maximum park value by starting at one park for early open extra magic hours, and then switching to late extra hours park later in day. I do recommend taking a break mid day, at least a couple of hours (even a long sit-down lunch in air conditioning.) That break will rejuvenate your family and allow for a long evening of touring, too.

I think you really don't need Park Hoppers for your first trips. When I was younger we would usually just go for a day or two at a time....so it took me three years to experience all 3 parks (DAK wasn't there then)....but I enjoyed all of them

I too would recommend you go to all FOUR parks.

AT DHS, I would recommend you start out at the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster...or get a fastpass for RnRC and go to ToT
At Epcot, I would recommend you get a fastpass for one of Soarin' or Mission Space and then go wait in line for the other one.
At MK, I can't say there is one attraction that you must get to early....Space Mountain might be a good choice, but every time I've been I have never had to wait too long for an attraction (maybe I'm just lucky)....though I did have to wait forever to meet Pooh and Tigger!
and at DAK, I would get a fastpass for EE then go to the Safari.

I think a day will be enough time to get through most of the rides if you really try....and don't forget the staples like It's A Small World and Pirates! Or Journey Into The Imagination!

and as I am writing this, there is a special on the Travel Channel about Walt Disney World : Behind The Scenes!

I thought I have read that you can't get a FP as soon as the park opens, that it is usually 30-60 minutes later. Is this true?

We have annual passes, and our boys don't go with us very often( grown up)so we don't go like this any more, but when we take family this is our strategy...
are you staying on site? if so, I would absolutely do the emh MORNING hours. NOT evening hours. You won't believe how much you will get done before noon. just eat a little something before you arrive.
Magic Kingdom® Park extra magic hours
Mornings:
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Cinderella's Golden Carrousel, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, "it's a small world", The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain®, Stitch's Great Escape!, Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway

we head straight to space mtn, usually ride it twice, hit buzz and mickey's philharmagic, we then head to rope for opening, head right to big thunder usually do it twice, grab a fast pass for splash, ride pirates, then head over to haunted mansion. and splash. these are our most favorites. we usually take a snack break and then start going through each of the areas starting with fantasy land.

lunch at columbia harbor house is pretty good and they have a huge cool upstairs.

another big helpful hint if you can't do emh morning hours, is go to the park 30 min before it opens...but go to the park that had LATE NIGHT EMH PARK HOURS THE NIGHT BEFORE....usually so many people stayed up late at that park last night, that the next morning is so much less crowded.

I have been too many times to count, and we always have been able to finish everything by lunch time that are our must do's.

Also, if you are NOt staying on site, or miss the emh day, on A NON EMH day, get the breakfast res at Crystal Palace we like 815. the park is empty and you will get fabulous pictures in front of the castle before you eat. then be at rope drop by adventureland.

we like to do the long cool attractions after lunch....hall of pres. carousel of progress( is that still available, it was in jan.) people mover. we take the monorail over to Grand floridian, contemp. and poly, just to check out the stores, get a drink and relax in the AC.

then get dinner somewhere ( we always have res.) and head back for night at MK....nothing better than that. parade and fireworks are just wonderful...and we stay till it closes, they have to sweep us out!! usually hubby and I sit on a bench with a coke and snack and just watch the people herd out...the kids eventually appear.!

animal kingdom ...in the summer you must get there the earlier the better. it is so hot and humid there. what we do is DH who can't ride roller coasters, goes to Safari and gets all our fast passes while we ride Everest twice, then head to Safari.
we usually skip river rapids, it is just too short a ride, not worth the wait, unless no wait at all.
dinosaur is great, bird show is fun, lion king show is very good.
grab lunch at leave. your kids may find other things there they would like to do, but that does it for us. you can just go about the park and enjoy it, but it really gets HOT!

studios, if you get there when it opens, the rides can easily be done by lunch,
we go to tower, while someone gets fast passes for rockin roller coaster,
do it next, star tours, the Indiana jones and stunt show, do those early, it gets hot standing in line. we love the great movie ride too, little mermaid and muppets.
lunch at backlot express. come back for fantasmic at night.

Epcot...get there early, head straight to soarin, grab fast pass you will want to do it again...then test track and mission space. that
is it for "rides" but get over to crush early or just before future world closes.
the living seas is a fantastic place, I could spend hours there a beautiful giant aquariam, nice and cool .
also, you must ride up in the ball, but the line gets long...
we love to eat in the " cafeteria" where soarin is, we can easily split things, and lots of room.

the countries opens up at 11a m, that is really fun for me, but my boys could care less. they usually stay up in future world till they are ready to leave for the pool.

we have been to disney quest, but in the summer it has been so crowded in there, we had to leave, if you don't have big crowds it is great fun.

lots of shopping and eating at downtown disney, again, my boys could care less, they skip it.

love La Nouba, even the boys liked it....depends on taste.
love eating at wolfgang pucks express yummmY

on the water parks,,,,we love blizzard beach ! but it can get really crowded. check the closing times...sometimes we go after 3 when the crowds really drop off, but afternoon thunder storms could mess that up. again, we have AP, so we don't care if we only get a couple hours in.
You may want to plan one day where you go there when it opens, leave after lunch and do a park in the late afternoon, the only problem is usually by then, all the fast passes are gone, so you are mostly going just for the park and you will hit some lines, or just plan on this being fireworks, parade, eat dinner at liberty tree or crystal palace and shop evening...again I have to stress Afternoon thunderstorms can really mess this up.( fireworks/parade)

Good luck, have fun, and just remember, it will be HOT, there will be LOTS of people, it will RAIN at some point, but who cares! you are at Disney World, the happiest place on Earth! oh, dont' forget to REST and RE HYDRATE!!!
Be PATIENT and keep your sense of HUMOR

Wow that is awesome information. Just the stuff I was looking for.

No we are not staying on site. So does this mean that we should avoid the parks on the days with extra Mickey Hours?

You will be experiencing something most of us on disboards can never experience again - your 'first' time at disney. Don't ruin it by rushing around. Take your time and take in all that you see. If you don't get to do certain rides, then plan on hitting those first on your last two days. Your kids are at the age where they'll be old enough to really appreciate the small things they see, just as well as the big.

Wow that is awesome information. Just the stuff I was looking for.

No we are not staying on site. So does this mean that we should avoid the parks on the days with extra Mickey Hours?

i think i agree with the others that skipping the waterparks is okay on a 5 day itinerary. especially if this is your first venture to WDW. using your 5th day as a second magic kingdom day would definitely be my vote. we always make 3 days available to magic kingdom on our trips, we like MK that much!.

my "best" advice at this point would be to avoid the superlong marathon days every day, they can really take a toll on you physically. we have found it is very hard to recover from being totally run down and overtired without taking a "day off". it has happend to us a couple of times and we totally resist the tempation to over-do it, it's just too hard to recover quickly. (run-down and overtired translates into a very cranky group)

since you are trying to go for 5 days straight, conservation of time and energy is important. table service meals are excellent, but consume lots of time. park hopping consumes lots of time and energy.

We have found trying to stick to a strict schedule for attractions can backfire. we tend to seek out fast passes for the longest lines. i will walk ahead to scout out the longest line in the general area and FP for the family. we then bounce around to whatever attraction has the shortest line or attractions with constantly moving lines or shows about to start. to avoid just standing in lines we also will look at the shops, carts, various live entertainment (talking trash cans, acrobats, etc..) to pass some time for certain lines to go down (we prefer to do this than to stand in line like cattle). this "random" approach has been what we found works best for us. also, if there are a few select attractions where there is no efficient way to get into them, we will try them later in the day. We try to avoid waits more than 30-40 min. for any major attraction if at all possible.

In our opinion, the parades and fireworks are absolutely a must see at all parks. if you must limit these events, i would make MK's 'spectromagic' parade (night), MK's 'wishes' fireworks, Epcot's Illuminations Fireworks and Hollywood Studios Fantasmic a priority.

anyway, enough of me babbling. good luck and i know you will enjoy your trip. Afterall, it is the happiest place on earth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter