1st timer's report back from a week at the Wilderness Lodge

griz_fan

Earning My Ears
We just got back from our 1st ever trip to WDW yesterday. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Here's a rundown of our stay, what I learned, and what I hope will help other 1st timers.

Here's the details. We booked through Disney Travel back in September for a week's stay for myself, my wife and our 4 kids (ages 6 through 14). We flew United from Boise, ID and used ME and onsite transportation. We also booked the dining plan. We stayed in a Jr. Suite (AKA a "deluxe" room) which included club-level access.

So, my 1st piece of advice, especially if you're flying out of a smaller airport is to allow plenty of flexibility in your travel plans, especially when traveling this time of year. Our original plans were to fly out on the morning of Friday, Jan. 16th, and return the evening of Friday, Jan. 23rd. But, due to fog at our airport, the 1st leg of our flight was delayed about 45 minutes, which would have caused us to miss our connecting flight through Chicago, so United canceled our flight, forcing us to rebook for the next day. As you can imagine, this kicked off a chain reaction of missed dining reservations, etc.. Also, we wanted to preserve our 7 day trip. So, we were able to change our departure date.
Hint: if you find yourself faced with this problem, have the airline book all changes to the flights (departing and returning) at the moment your flight gets canceled. Only the airline can do that without incurring rebooking fees. Also, Disney travel won't make any extensions to a trip until you have the air portion taken care of first.
Another hint: when traveling, have your airline phone number, disney travel, your resort and Disney dining phone numbers handy, such as in your cell phone.
United wasn't that pleasant to deal with, and they changed our return flight to a 6:46 a.m. flight out of Orlando :sick:
Luckily, things worked out better on the Disney end. The wilderness Lodge was able to find us two connecting rooms for the 7th day, and did a great job of helping us move from our suite to the two rooms (in fact, they even upgraded the two rooms to 7th floor club level rooms with an MK view at no extra charge!).

So, we finally arrive in Orlando with what I thought was plenty of time to get to the WL, check in and catch a boat over to our 1st dining reservation, 7:15 dinner at the Hoop-dee-doo. But, we wound up cutting it very close. Again, continuing with the theme of allowing for plenty of extra time between events ;) Turns out, the WL shares the Magical Express bus route with the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. We were 3rd on the drop off list. But, once we arrived at the WL, Andre from the concierge desk met us in the lobby, we dropped off our carry on bags at the concierge desk, he took us to our room, got us settled in, and when bell services delivered our carry on bags, he met us in the lobby and had a van waiting to drive us to the Ft. Wilderness campground on the service roads so we arrived just in time to get our tickets and walk right in!

I've seen quite a few threads here with people asking if getting a concierge/club level room is worth the extra cost. For us, it was. Not only do you get access to the concierge lounge, the extra services really made a difference, especially for 1st timers like us. They handled all of our dining reservations, and really went out of their way to make sure things were taken care of. I think we would have spent a LOT more time doing these things ourselves instead of enjoying our time.
The concierge room was great, too. We had breakfast every day there. There was plenty of food in the morning, with bagels, toast, mini-muffins, fresh fruit, orange, apply and cranberry juice, coffee, tea, and fresh oatmeal. While not a full breakfast, it was more than enough to get us started for the day.
In the evening, they always had at least one hot dish out, including fresh chicken noodle soup, beef stroganoff, a sausage dish, etc... For you beer drinkers out there, they had Miller Lite, Heineken, Bud, Bud Lite and my personal Favorite, Bass!

The room was great, a bit tight, but certainly enough room for the 6 of us. We spent our 1st 6 nights in room 5000, with a great lake view, and a decent view of the MK from the secondary balcony. It was a very quiet room, too. We took the stairs down for easy access to the pool and boat dock, but it was a bit of a hike to the lobby and bus stop. For our last night, they moved us to connecting rooms on the 7th floor, also very nice and a great view of the castle at the MK.

Transportation was really nice. For trips to the Magic Kingdom, we took the boat, which as fast and convenient. We also took the boat to the Contemporary, then hopped the monorail to Epcot. The only downside we encountered was due to the unseasonably cold weather we encountered. the boat ride was really cold! One day the high-temp didn't even crack 50 degrees, and there was quite a bit of wind, that made a trip in an open boat very cold.
Apart from that, though, boat, bus and monorail more than met our transportation needs. I've heard people say having a car is much easier, but I can't imagine how. Boats and buses drop you off at the front entrance of a park, you don't have to find a parking space, deal with traffic in and out of the parking lots, a bus is never more that a few minutes wait, and at the end of a long day at the parks, I was exhausted and couldn't imagine having to summon the energy to drive back to our resort. Letting someone else do the driving was great. One of the drivers mentioned that there are around 1200 bus drivers that work for Disney and at any given time during park hours, 500 are working. For us, Disney transportation was great (as long as you give yourself enough time to get to a reservation, etc...).

finally, one thing I'd recommend for those with a lot of traveling is to set aside your 1st day as a flex day. After a busy day of travel, don't try to tackle too much at once. Use the time to get yourself oriented, relax, and maybe hit a park with no expectations other than to check things out and take in the sites.

I hope this info helps, and if anyone has specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

what a great report! i don't believe WL has an actual Magic Kingdom view category, so you were lucky to get a glimpse from your room! the room size is the one of the reasons we haven't tried the WL, but i always hear great things! welcome back and thanks for the report!

i forgot to mention, i agree with you about Disney Transportation, it is great! i would never want the extra burden of driving from place to place, like you said, let some else do it!

Griz_fan-- what a nice trip report. I really like the way you mentioned the air portion of your troubles and gave good advice to those who may find themselves in the same spot. (This is one of the many reasons we drive 2800 miles roundtrip, but I realize driving does not suit everyone).

It is also good to hear good info on the WL and the concierge. Too many times we only hear/report on bad experiences and that is unfortunate. I think you may have helped a lot of people with choices and future travel delays by posting. Thanks!

I loved reading your report... I am scheduled to stay at the WL.. I also have 4 children, but had to get 2 rooms because the deluxe were not available... can you tell me why you moved rooms on your last night... and if you hadto do it again...did you think you had more room with 2 rooms or a deluxe... I am still calling for a deluxe as I have until Dec. :)... any thoughts which you thinks would be easier.

Angela

I loved reading your report... I am scheduled to stay at the WL.. I also have 4 children, but had to get 2 rooms because the deluxe were not available... can you tell me why you moved rooms on your last night... and if you hadto do it again...did you think you had more room with 2 rooms or a deluxe... I am still calling for a deluxe as I have until Dec. :)... any thoughts which you thinks would be easier.

Angela

Hi,

We had to move rooms on our last night because we had to arrive a day later than originally planned due to weather-related flight problems. So, rather than turning a 7 day trip into a 6 day trip, we tacked on an extra day at the end, but had to change rooms to do that.

Having experienced the jr. suite and two connecting rooms, the 2 room option definitely had more space, but not by much. For a family of 6, the deluxe is the most cost-effective way to go. I would compare the costs between the two. If you're comfortable with the difference in price, two connecting rooms will give you more space (twice as much bathroom!) and more location options.

Awesome report. We are staying there in March for 9 nights and have a Courtyard view with bunkbed. This is going to be our second stay there. I am glad to hear that using Disney transportation solely turned out really well with you. We normally have a car, whether it is ours or a rental, whenever we are at WDW, but this time we decided to use ME (first time) therefore solely relying on Disney Transport. made me a little nervous especially since we do have a very early ADR at Donald's Safari Breakfast in the AK the first day we are there (8:05am). Do you know what time the busses start running to go to the parks? Also, what stop is WL on ME....when we go in March we are surprising our DDs with the trip and they will not know where we are staying until we get off the bus. I would like them to think that each stop maybe the resort we are staying and then get really excited that it is WL. TIA.

Awesome report. We are staying there in March for 9 nights and have a Courtyard view with bunkbed. This is going to be our second stay there. I am glad to hear that using Disney transportation solely turned out really well with you. We normally have a car, whether it is ours or a rental, whenever we are at WDW, but this time we decided to use ME (first time) therefore solely relying on Disney Transport. made me a little nervous especially since we do have a very early ADR at Donald's Safari Breakfast in the AK the first day we are there (8:05am). Do you know what time the busses start running to go to the parks? Also, what stop is WL on ME....when we go in March we are surprising our DDs with the trip and they will not know where we are staying until we get off the bus. I would like them to think that each stop maybe the resort we are staying and then get really excited that it is WL. TIA.

I'm 1/2 guessing here, but I think the buses start at 6:00 a.m., I do seem to recall they start with plenty of time to make early breakfast ADRs, but you should confirm that, just in case.

For the ME, when we arrived, we were 3rd of 4 stops (Grand Floridian 1st, Polynesian 2nd, WL 3rd, and Contemporary 4th).

Thanks for the report. We have stayed at the WL twice and love the transportation options. Glad you had a good trip, What was your best meal/experience?

Great report. :thumbsup2 Very informative and entertaining. Infotainment, as it was called in Adventurer's Club. :rotfl2:

I learned my lesson also NOT to make plans the day of arrival. We had a flight that took off late, making our arrival a few hours behind, and had a dinner show to attend that night. :sad2: Not a pretty sight.

That was wonderful they had a van drive you to HddR to get you there in time. We were at POR and had a hard time finding anyone to even accept our luggage. (No one wanted to work, esp luggage services.) :confused3 :p

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip!

Just wondering... How comfortable was the sleeper sofa? Did it have a bar in the middle?

thanks!

What a wonderful post that is sure to help first timers and return guests in many aspects!! I am glad that you trip ended up as a success in the end.

Thanks for the report. We have stayed at the WL twice and love the transportation options. Glad you had a good trip, What was your best meal/experience?

We actually enjoyed all of our dining experiences, but for different reasons. Most of the time, the food was good, but not great, but the setting and entertainment made the overall experience top-notch. One clear exception, however, was Le Cellier at Epcot. Here, everything came together and it turned out to be probably the best dining experience our family has ever had. First off... believe the hype about the mushroom fillet, mine was outstanding. But, what really made the meal was the service. Stephanie, our waitress, was great. My wife mentioned to her that our 9 year old son was really into cooking and wants to be a chef when he grows up. The next thing we know, here comes the chef from the kitchen to take him back for a tour of the kitchen, answer questions, etc.. Later, he returned to our table, talked shop with our son some more, gave him an autographed chef's hat and had him help prepare our deserts! Very cool. :thumbsup2

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip!

Just wondering... How comfortable was the sleeper sofa? Did it have a bar in the middle?

thanks!

That was another pleasant surprise, the sleeper sofa was great! Not quite as comfortable as the queen beds, but very close and no bar in the middle. It was actually a pretty clever design, easy to open and fold up, too. No complaints from my wife, and she's pretty particular about the comfort level of the bed she sleeps in. I've slept in a lot worse regular beds at other motels...

We actually enjoyed all of our dining experiences, but for different reasons. Most of the time, the food was good, but not great, but the setting and entertainment made the overall experience top-notch. One clear exception, however, was Le Cellier at Epcot. Here, everything came together and it turned out to be probably the best dining experience our family has ever had. First off... believe the hype about the mushroom fillet, mine was outstanding. But, what really made the meal was the service. Stephanie, our waitress, was great. My wife mentioned to her that our 9 year old son was really into cooking and wants to be a chef when he grows up. The next thing we know, here comes the chef from the kitchen to take him back for a tour of the kitchen, answer questions, etc.. Later, he returned to our table, talked shop with our son some more, gave him an autographed chef's hat and had him help prepare our deserts! Very cool. :thumbsup2

Impromptu moments like this are what makes Disney the best vacation for our family! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter