1st Timer & Solo - FP?

tofumagic

Earning My Ears
Hey all

After procrastinating (a skill I am very practiced at) I have finally booked my trip - 17 to 25 November, staying at POFQ. This is my first time at WDW and I'm going solo. My question is - as a soloist in the parks, should I be bothering to book FPs? Or do all the rides that would benefit from FPs have single rider lines that would make FPs irrelevant?

So freaking excited! :banana:

I have never seen a solo rider line on any ride, I think they stopped doing that. I travel solo and am in the line with everyone else.

I book FP for the rides I must do so I am guaranteed a ride, but I get to the parks at rope drop so I can ride as many as possible without lines or need of FP. Then my booked FP give me a second chance to ride favorites. Although not every ride offers FP.

Soarin is my fave, so I book FP for about a half hour after whatever the park opening is. I go in, ride w/o using FP and circle back to use my FP so I ride two times in a row. Then move on for the day as it grows to an hour plus wait.

What I find great going solo is better seats. I was always front row on Maelstrom and more often was top row on Soarin which means no dangling feet in your line of view.

You're going to have a blast. Everyone thought I was nuts for going alone the first time, but I have done it twice solo with the third time coming up and I love it.

In all of WDW, there are only 3 rides with Single Rider Lines: Test Track, Rock n Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest.

I did FP+ for my trip earlier this year and will do it again next year. I had no problem getting everything I wanted - being solo makes it easier, IMO.

Sometimes, if you are lucky, when you are in a line, the CMs may start looking for parties of 1 or 2 to fill a row/vehicle, but that's random.

Thanks heaps for the response... I shall start working out what I want to FP then for when my window comes up!

It's all a bit daunting but very exciting...

Thoughts on ADRs? I was initially going to just focus on actually doing the parks and just eating CS and QS meals, given its my first time and being on my own... but then I thought maybe I would want a couple of decent sit down meals (particularly maybe in Epcot) - what are peoples thoughts on that? What do you usually do?

Yes to Fastpass! Being solo makes it easier because you choose your fave rides/ experiences. Although not a single rider line- Soarin is the ride where I get pulled to the front of the line the most as a solo. Now to your ADR question...nothing is off limits! CMS take great care of solos. I have hesitated to book character meals in the past but based on the boards I am trying a couple on my next solo. In Epcot my faves are Chefs de France, coral reef and San Angel Inn- Mexico inside the pyramid....love the volcano. MK- Be our Guest, but could not get reservation this year...Ak- yak and yeti. DHS, Brown Derby, Mama Melrose. Sci fi is not the best food but if you are nervous eating alone, a good option because no one can tell who is with who in the cars and there is always something to see. Have a great trip!

I usually book two dinners and a lunch and leave the rest of my meals free. Before I got free dining I booked Le Cellier and Via Napoli for dinner and Yak and Yeti for lunch. Added lunch at Sanaa and dinner at Chef's de France after I got the free plan. That many is not the norm for me. I like the freedom to jump parks if I want or have a cupcake for lunch if it is too hot to be very hungry.

The one down side to solo dining at QS places is that if it is busy, there is no one to hold a table while you get food. So reservations take that out.

Beware that if you have an adr and don't cancel the day before they will charge you $10.

A big Yes to FP+! I got mine for MK and managed to snag a 7 DMT at night. Sometimes being a single is a blessing!

Also, I like to book restaurants the I would not necessarily go with my family. I people watch while I eat and find that the CMs are more attentive. Enjoy!

As the others have said, yes to using FP. I went solo for my first trip to WDW as well, and also stayed at POFQ. Being solo will allow you to change your FP selections at will. You have so much time there, you'll have no trouble figuring out how it will work best for you. POFQ was so much of an enjoyable stay for me, that I've decided to go back from the 23-27 of November. So feel free to contact me if you want to meet up for anything. Enjoy your trip!

Hey all

After procrastinating (a skill I am very practiced at) I have finally booked my trip - 17 to 25 November, staying at POFQ. This is my first time at WDW and I'm going solo. My question is - as a soloist in the parks, should I be bothering to book FPs? Or do all the rides that would benefit from FPs have single rider lines that would make FPs irrelevant?

So freaking excited! :banana:

Absolutely get FP's. Here's what I do - get FP's for what I want to do most. Then, I show up at rope drop and go directly to what I really want to do. Then, I change that FP to the next thing (after the original 3) that I want to do. Then I go directly to the second thing I want to do. If the line isn't too long I get in line for it and then change my second FP to something else I want to do. Last time I was there I could have done everything twice. I never hurried or worried that I couldn't do "everything". I was moved up in the line twice to fill an empty place.

Thoughts on ADRs? I was initially going to just focus on actually doing the parks and just eating CS and QS meals, given its my first time and being on my own... but then I thought maybe I would want a couple of decent sit down meals (particularly maybe in Epcot) - what are peoples thoughts on that? What do you usually do?

If there are some restaurants that appeal to you, go for it! I've done plenty of TS as a solo and have had good experiences. Via Napoli is a must-do for me every trip; gotta get my pizza fix! I've also really enjoyed Flying Fish, Artist Point, La Hacienda (the Mexico TS on the lagoon side), and lunches at Les Chefs de France and Liberty Tree Tavern. I even did the Dis Jr breakfast at H&V this year (because I watch way too much Dis Jr); characters were great and breakfast was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter