1st timer on site with 1 day - any chance of doing most things?

JoanneNC

DIS Veteran
Last minute, we realized we could start our trip to Disney one day earlier and that opened up an opportunity to try Universal, but sadly just for one day.
We are military so that is one free ticket. I won a free ticket earlier this year through that sweepstakes and one son is 2 and that leaves us with 1 ticket to buy - Seems very affordable so far :) Oh - we arrive on the 10th of June...so very last minute..lol

I was able to get reservations as the RPR hotel under a military rate for 2 nights (arriving around midnight). I figured staying on site was a MUST for only 1 full day in the park. But now what do I plan on doing to maximize my day?

There will be 2 adults and 2 kids (2 and 7) The 7 year old is like 51" so he should be good for most rides and hates roller coasters and LOVES simulators. Daddy loves roller coasters but he never makes them a priority so kid fun will be top of our list. We were thinking that if we could only do 1 park well - we should aim for IOA. Am I off base? Or with FOTL access are both parks possible if done at warp speed?
Are advance dining reservations needed at Mythos and if so, how do I do this? I hate feeling so green since I know Disney this unprepared would be a huge disappointment.

I have been reading as much as I can but its becoming overwhelming.
Any other tips in regards to the hotel and/or the parks would be very appreciated as I am still shocked I am adding all this on last minute

Thanks in advance

With staying on-site and having FOTL access you should be able to get most everything done if you spend from open to close in the parks. I would start with IOA first and get all the rides done you want. Then go over to the Studios side and do the same. After that if you still have time you can try to fit some shows in or re-do your favorite rides. We were there the last week in April and stayed on-site (Hard Rock). DD and I got there early one morning just to do the water rides. We did Popeye, Dudley Do-Right and Jurassic Park in less than an hour at park opening.

Have a great time!

What was the military rate for RPR, if you don't mind my asking? We're military and thinking about going for two nights next month.

I agree with Darcy, but with the suggestion to go back to RPH pool when the parks close at 8:00 (or earlier if the kids conk out). The pool there is beautiful and that is what we are doing on our one day there. We are doing the pool and then taking a taxi on over to Disney that night. Split up when possible so everyone can feel like they got to ride their most important rides. Have fun, we will be there June 10, also!

What was the military rate for RPR, if you don't mind my asking? We're military and thinking about going for two nights next month.

I am away from my paperwork but I believe it was under $200 after taxes

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I called about reservations and the discount is only for active duty - we're retired. I booked using the AAA rate though, so all is good. :)

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I called about reservations and the discount is only for active duty - we're retired. I booked using the AAA rate though, so all is good. :)

Oops sorry about that - I didn't even think to ask if it was for retired.... DH hits his 20 years in July but he is doing 5 more so its still pretty far from my mind...

Glad you were able to get a deal as well

you should be fine with you plans. we are doing a very similar plan. We are staying at a holiday inn monday night, ($60 with breakfast included). then we'll get to RPR hopefully by 8:30am Tuesday, get our room keys (for FOTL) and off to the parks. Maybe we'll take a break during the day and check into our room (officially). we'll still have the room key for the next day, if we want to go back to the parks, but we are driving back to clearwater sometime wednesday (so one night at RPR- AAA rate was about $230 incl. tax). I won a free 7 day ticket, as well. And I will but an annual pass at AAA in clearwater when we get to Florida for husband and daughter. ($95 each, i think).

with FOTL, if your hubby wants to go on coasters and stuff alone, you and the kids certainly won't have to wait long for him! i can't wait to try this FOTL. have a blast, and send thanks to your hubby for serving our country!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter