1st timer just back with observations

Jaylin

Mouseketeer
Hi all! Everyone was so helpful answering my questions before I left that I hope I can help someone else. This was our 1st US trip. Many trips to Disney so this trip was unknown territory for me. We started at Cabana Bay but moved to Portifino, I'll post about that in the resort thread. We are 2A & 4kids(12,10,8&6)

So, I purchsed tix through Tickets at Work(thru my husbands work) it was a B2G2 free park to park pass. And from your advice I went to guest services inside the park to upgrade to AP. I don't remember the exact $ but it was like $6 per adult and $16 per child to upgrade to power pass and I upgraded 1 adult tix to a preferred pass for extra $100 and used that for discounts on our meals and purchases. Other then the carts all our dining places took the discount. It was also good on all souvenirs, including the wands! The only thing they wouldn't discount was collectibles, we bought the ceramic scroll that came with& held 6 wands. This was purchased from the store that the Forbidden Journey ride empties into in. This was by far the BEST DEAL in the park! For $150 It comes with Harry, Hermoine, Ron, Luna, Neville & Ginny's wands plus this awesome heavy scroll holder. The wands along would cost $240!

I also purchased the AP Photo Connect card. They never asked for my AP when I picked it up. There are photographers right as you walk in but that's about it. They were also at the character photo spots like at transformers & minion so that was good. I thought they really should have them in the Harry potter sections, that area is so incredible it would have made for great pics. They ride pics are awesome. I'd say we got about 50 pics. No where's near the amount of dIsley pics, but I thought it was worth it. I did think some were also blurry. But knowing we'll use it again next year, it was a good purchase

I think the Exp Pass is a necessity. We are use to our Disney fast pass system and don't do lines! Anything with a 30min or longer wait is too long for us! Now, I would never, ever pay $90 pp for it (there's 6 of us) that's insane, so staying on park property ore than pays for itself.

We were there for 6 full days & till 5pm on departure day. We did 1 day in sea world, which was plenty, there didn't see to be too much there. 1 day in aquatica, kids would have happily done a 2nd day there. And then 4 1/2 days at US & IOA. We easily could've done another day at US & IOA. We took it slow & easy. At the parks by 9, left around 3/4. Hit the pool and to dinner by 8. There was still things we missed.

I came to realize that they can't forcast the weather even an hour out in FL! 1 min it says 15% chance rain for the whole day and 15 min later the sky is black with thunder & lightening and it's now 99% for the next 3 hrs!!! So trying to find the perfect day for aquatica was impossible.

The water rides in IOA are crazy!you don't just get wet, you get totally soaked!! So wear bathing suits that day! The restaurants are freezing so bring a light sweater.

We didn't have a bad meal anywhere! Ate at The Kitchen(2xs) the Islands dining room (did the WOK experience Trattoria del Porto (did the make your own pasta thing), Antojitos(excellent), Pat Obrians, Panda Exp, Moes, 3 broomsticks, Springfield area, I think that's it. Big pink donut is a winner! Also the Carmel apples from the candy store.

We also did the coke freestyle cup, worked great for us. We don't normally drink much soda, so we used it everywhere for water too. Every food stand or counter happily filled it for us. The freestyle machine had the best water, it was freezing cold!

There's a million things I think I could talk about, but that's all I can think of right now. If you have any questions I'd love to help!

Everyone there was super nice & friendly. Looking forward to our trip next year!

Jaylin glad you had such a great time at Universal. I and others on this site always try and tell people new to Universal that the park's are easy to enjoy at a pace of your own choosing. Also it takes more then three days to comfortably see and do everything.

Lol! Oh the schedule! I still think I prefer my Disney itinery! With 4 little ones it's good to have a plan!

I also purchased the AP Photo Connect card. They never asked for my AP when I picked it up. There are photographers right as you walk in but that's about it. They were also at the character photo spots like at transformers & minion so that was good. I thought they really should have them in the Harry potter sections, that area is so incredible it would have made for great pics. They ride pics are awesome. I'd say we got about 50 pics. No where's near the amount of dIsley pics, but I thought it was worth it. I did think some were also blurry. But knowing we'll use it again next year, it was a good purchase

When we were there in May, they had Photoconnect photographers on the bridge between Jurassic Park & Hogsmeade. They were getting pictures of guests with the castle in the background.

When we were there in May, they had Photoconnect photographers on the bridge between Jurassic Park & Hogsmeade. They were getting pictures of guests with the castle in the background.

We also learned that, if you ask, most PhotoConnect photographers will follow you pretty much anywhere in the parks... so we had one take fun photos of us with the statues and decorations in Springfield, and we did photos on the JP/Hogsmeade bridge too. :-)

^^^ to clarify, I don't mean to suggest that you should ask a photographer to follow you around all day. I mean that, if you have a specific photo location in mind, you might try to find the nearest photographer and ask him/her to follow you there to take pictures for a few minutes. :-)

We also learned that, if you ask, most PhotoConnect photographers will follow you pretty much anywhere in the parks... so we had one take fun photos of us with the statues and decorations in Springfield, and we did photos on the JP/Hogsmeade bridge too. :-)

Ooooh....really?? That's good info!! We are huge Simpsons fans and would LOVE to have a little mini photo session there when we visit again in October :) .

Thank you for sharing the details of your trip! How were the crowds? Glad to hear the dining didn't disappoint!

Good to know about the photographers. We unfortunately never saw any of them in that area.

op, many thanks for coming back and sharing with us.
it lets us know that advice many of us give out, is still valid and helpful.

are you planning for a repeat in the next year?
say ::yes::

Nice to read your observations. I don't think the Exp Pass is a necessity really, but apart from that was a good read. We've been there a few times

op, many thanks for coming back and sharing with us.
it lets us know that advice many of us give out, is still valid and helpful.

are you planning for a repeat in the next year?
say ::yes::
Oh heck yeah!!! I'll have something booked by the end of the week!! Looking at May next year, the weather is perfect then!
Nice to read your observations. I don't think the Exp Pass is a necessity really, but apart from that was a good read. We've been there a few times
I guess it really depends on what you're use to, we just don't "do" lines, lol!!! We had a great time!

I guess it really depends on what you're use to, we just don't "do" lines, lol!!! We had a great time!

We are exactly the same!! We use the EP queue even if there's 10 people in the regular queue.....lol.......yep, we won't queue either........what's the point!!

Glad you had such a wonderful trip........you seemed to do a lot and make the most of everything.......and you had the big pink donut......success!!!

Glad you came back to tell us all about it........:thumbsup2

We are exactly the same!! We use the EP queue even if there's 10 people in the regular queue.....lol.......yep, we won't queue either........what's the point!!

Glad you had such a wonderful trip........you seemed to do a lot and make the most of everything.......and you had the big pink donut......success!!!

Glad you came back to tell us all about it........:thumbsup2
We are also the same!!!

Sorry to be dense - I'm new here. What's "AP"? Annual pass? What is the cost/benefit of upgrading?

I enjoyed your report! Thanks!

Sorry to be dense - I'm new here. What's "AP"? Annual pass? What is the cost/benefit of upgrading?

I enjoyed your report! Thanks!
Yes, Annual pass. We plan on going back next summer we got the annual passes. Which basically cost the same as s 4 day pass, so it's worth going back for a 2nd trip. I got 1 preferred pass, just to get the discounts on food & merchandise, the rest of the family has power passes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter