1st Timer at Disneyland HELP!

A lot of great tips are on here for you already, but for any specifics I highly recommend the Disneyland forum- there are a lot of us California Disneyland crazies that are willing to help :yay:

Keep in mind that the parks are so close that park hopping is a breeze and a lot faster than in Disney World. I recommend spending your mornings in Disneyland and then hopping over to California Adventure in the afternoon when Disneyland gets more crowded. I don't know if when you are there is mid week or weekend, but weekdays in October should be nice, weekends are always up in the air.

The only things that get crowded in Fantasyland are Peter Pan (the most crowded, and the slowest queue), the Matterhorn and Dumbo. I would suggest doing the e-ticket attractions first or the submarines, or do the submarines very late at night when the park is about to close. And you will have your own entry to the California Adventure park in the morning since you are staying at the Grand Californian, so you'll get in right away...and I am sorry to say that the rope drops in the DLR aren't as exciting as the ones in WDW...there is no little song and dance beforehand, but I still get excited.

Relax and have fun. Disneyland definitely doesn't require as much intense planning as WDW. Make sure to see the Aladdin show in California Adventure, I am sure it will be a highlight of the trip.

Happy Honeymooning!

Im pretty sure the hyperion theater is going to be in rehab while we are there..does that mean no aladdin?

How are Mickey's trick or treat parties are they worth going to?

Oh no! Yes, if the Hyperion Theater is under rehab, then that means no Aladdin show. I am sorry, that is truly a great show. But you will have plenty of other fun things to see.

I have never been to the Halloween party because I always thought they were for families with kids, but after all of the podcast team has given such rave reviews to all of the WDW parties, I am thinking we have to give it a try! There have been threads about it on the Disneyland board, so I suggest checking that out.

Make sure to pick up your "just married" buttons at guest services when you arrive at the park! Hopefully that might get you a few surprises.

My wife and I honeymooned on Maui and then went to DL also. It's a great and memorable trip. Be sure to get a "Just Maui'd" photo album to put all the pics of the trip in. I thought my wife was silly when she wanted one, but now I think it's pretty hilarious.
I can't belileve no one has mentioned Pirates at DL. It's longer, and widely known to be better than the MK version. Definitely want to pay attention to that. The Blue Bayou is cool for atmosphere, and I would agree with earlier posts that it's a decent lunch option.
One of my favorite things to get at California Adventure is caramel corn from the cart right near Soarin'. I think they have it in a few other places in both parks, but that's the only place I know for sure. If it's fresh, I could just stand and eat it from the cart if they'd let me. A great snack.
I will also echo the thoughts of others that the DL parks don't require the planning of WDW. It really is pretty easy to wing it for the most part. Get the submarines under your belt, and then the rest of the lines will seem like nothing. Good luck, and enjoy! It's probably the most memorable Disney trip you'll ever take.

We experienced Disneyland last year for the first time and loved it!
You really cannot compare WDW and Disneyland as they offer two different experiences. I recommend you spend some time around CA as there is so much to offer. We loved La Jolla, San Diego, San Francisco, Laguna Beach. Hollywood was okay for 2 hours - a little seedy.
I loved Disneyland Hotel too.
Enjoy yourself - you will love it..

As a DL local and regular (who also got married at the GCH @ DL), I'd love to add a couple things.

October won't be as crowded, but do remember to bring extra layers for the evening. We're still a "desert climate" and the temps go down when the sun sets. October nights are hit and miss for chillier than ususal weather. Defintely hop parks and go to DCA when you feel DL is getting crowded. DCA is empty during the week and you will be able to just walk on rides. If you're not there on Columbus Day, you're bound to be in fairly empty parks. Enjoy it!!!!

Make a PS for it, but before you eat at the Bayou, I would ride Pirates and get a look at it to see if the atmosphere is worth it to you to offset the negative reviews on the food and service. (The ride drifts by the restaurant.) I personally would pass on it. The last couple times we've eaten there, the service and food was not what I felt was Disney level - especially for the expense. You will pay the dinner prices at lunch and you will pay as much as a light Napa Rose meal. After several times of this poor quality, it kind of deflated our park going experience and that was when we finally gave up giving them another chance. Basically, what it comes down to is that you have to decide at what your personal value of "atmosphere vs service/food quality" is and if you think it is worth it to you. If you decide you want to eat there, at least you already have the PS, if not, you can just decide to blow off the PS and eat somewhere else.

Also, you can get the Monte Cristo Sandwich that everyone raves about over at the Cafe Orleans sit-down (make a PS for it). They are a relatively new sit down (almost 2 years old) and they have very good service. The outdoor dining experience is pleasant, too. The jambalaya crepes there are wonderful, too.

Other food - The buffet at the Lilo and Stitch character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel is the most diverse and very tasty. Storytellers is a guaranteed hit and the cast there is very attentive. You can also have many of the items on the Napa's menu in the lounge - worth taking a break and taking advantage. If anything, go there just to get a glass of wine and their signature scallop appetizer or deserts - which are very tasty! We've never had a bad experience there and they will let you split dishes to save on expense.

Other things: Make sure you take the free tour of your hotel - they offer it daily at 2:30pm and it is well worth it! If you love the architecture, it's very informative. It's also a nice break from the parks, which won't be as crowded.

Take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. They have enhanced it with audio headphones that allow you to hear Walt talk about the areas of the parks you are touring. Really magical.

I've also never really seen an effect one way or the other on Early mornings. I imagine that it will benefit you because there just isn't a morning rush to get in. You might get a few extra rides done.

Have fun and congratulations.
Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter