• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st time thinking about buying annual pass/need help

MIALIAS

Mouseketeer
hi

Never thought about getting the pass but I'm thinking maybe it is worthwhile. Please help me decide.
We have a trip the end of January 17 and feb 18 planned 4 nights each.
Also if we buy the annual does that mean I would t really need the TIW anymore since I get restaurant discounts with annual?

Also are there advantages or disadvantages that I'm missing?

Please give me your opinions

Thanks!

I only buy an AP if it is the least expensive admission media for my plans. (I consider discounts & perks as just "gravy" if they are available).

The math isn't too hard. Assuming you will want to go to a park for 4 or 5 days each trip, a base ticket would be:
$346.13 for 4 days / $362.10 for 5 days

To include hopping on the tickets:
$419.61 for 4 days / $435.59 for 5 days

Total cost (with tax) for two 4 day tickets is $692.26 (no hopping)
Total cost (with tax) for two 5 day tickets is $724.20 (no hopping)

Total cost of a Gold AP (with tax) is $584.69 and includes hopping If you buy your pass before 1/3/2017, it will cover both trips. So the AP is less expensive than separate no-hopping tickets and includes hopping.

As for TiW, that depends on how many meals will use it if the AP discount won't apply or is less than the 20% the TiW gives you.. Just a guess, but if there are only 2 adults, it won't be worth it. The TiW does include alcohol and the AP discounts do not, so that could make a difference, but you'd have to spend about $750 to break even as the TiW card now costs $150.

Last edited:

You activate a new annual pass when you show up at a park ticket booth or guest services and get it activated as part of your MDE account and thus recognizable as a real annual pass on your magic band. That will be the start date of the pass. They also give you at that time an actual annual pass card. Technically, you do not actually need to enter the park to have that activiation occur, but obviously that is what you will likely be doing at time of activation.

To get 13 months, you must purchase the annual pass by January 3, 2017 (meaning call and pay for it by January 3, 2017). If you do that, you can activate it at any time thereafter.

Last edited:
hi

Never thought about getting the pass but I'm thinking maybe it is worthwhile. Please help me decide.
We have a trip the end of January 17 and feb 18 planned 4 nights each.
Also if we buy the annual does that mean I would t really need the TIW anymore since I get restaurant discounts with annual?

Also are there advantages or disadvantages that I'm missing?

Please give me your opinions

Thanks!
In this situation I'd get the Gold pass since it's cheaper and will work for your dates. But that assumes you can make the 2 trips in 13 months, not 13.5 months, just make sure your actual dates will fall within a strict 13 month window. If you lose a day or 2 due to overlap, the Gold pass might still be the best option and plan non park things on any missed days.

We purchased an AP this year and loved it. We also purchased the TIW card. For us, the difference in what restaurants TIW covered vesus the AP and discounts on alcohol and lounges more than made up the difference in cost. In a week, we were ahead with the TIW card (next year becomes a bonus). However, there were places we ate that did not take TIW, but took the AP discount. Amazingly, we got 20% everywhere we ate with one of the 2 discounts. YMMV.

We purchased an AP this year and loved it. We also purchased the TIW card. For us, the difference in what restaurants TIW covered vesus the AP and discounts on alcohol and lounges more than made up the difference in cost. In a week, we were ahead with the TIW card (next year becomes a bonus). However, there were places we ate that did not take TIW, but took the AP discount. Amazingly, we got 20% everywhere we ate with one of the 2 discounts. YMMV.
Question, would that be true currently with your trip with AP getting 20% at most places that TIW does and at some places that TIW doesn't have a discount and when there is a difference, the AP is still 10% currently. One would effectively have to spend around $750 on alcohol or $1500 just at locations that are 20% for TIW and only 10% for AP just to break even with the current setup. That's not all that all that much under our total budget for meals for 6 adults for a week coming up with 2 TS per day.

We ate at several restaurants that were not on the AP list and some of the more expensive restaurants for the evening meal. For a group of 4, it wasn't hard to make up the difference.

We ate at several restaurants that were not on the AP list and some of the more expensive restaurants for the evening meal. For a group of 4, it wasn't hard to make up the difference.
Currently there are precious few locations that offer a TIW discount that don't offer an AP discount. There are a few that offer 20% over 10%, about the only ones that do offer the discount are at non Disney resorts and a few counter service options plus the dinner shows looking at the listing on Allears. Without the dinner shows it'd be difficult to make up the difference unless one were targeting the ones that were different in favor of TIW exclusively and/or the big ticket items like dinner shows.

Currently there are precious few locations that offer a TIW discount that don't offer an AP discount. There are a few that offer 20% over 10%, about the only ones that do offer the discount are at non Disney resorts and a few counter service options plus the dinner shows looking at the listing on Allears. Without the dinner shows it'd be difficult to make up the difference unless one were targeting the ones that were different in favor of TIW exclusively and/or the big ticket items like dinner shows.
Heck, one meal at the Yachtsman with four adults sharing a couple bottles of wine, plus free valet parking, is more than half the cost of Tables. That's just one meal.
Add in a cocktail at Crews Cup while waiting for a table and it's even better.
Truly not hard to do for many people.

MG

Heck, one meal at the Yachtsman with four adults sharing a couple bottles of wine, plus free valet parking, is more than half the cost of Tables. That's just one meal.
Add in a cocktail at Crews Cup while waiting for a table and it's even better.
Truly not hard to do for many people.

MG
It's one of the few and even it gets 10% with AP. Certainly if one buys a significant amount of alcohol it's possible and there are a few other situation. My point was and still is, it's difficult to break even other than some very specific circumstances and most people wouldn't even break even.

It's one of the few and even it gets 10% with AP. Certainly if one buys a significant amount of alcohol it's possible and there are a few other situation. My point was and still is, it's difficult to break even other than some very specific circumstances and most people wouldn't even break even.
Yes, but many like some of the finer restaurants. Cali Grill and Yatchtsman both only have 10% on AP. I believe 'Ohana as well.
Some of our other favorites also come out well ahead with Tables, even with the AP discount.
As I said, "many" people are better of with TIW. Not "all or most".
That said, my wife and I eat at the signatures often, and always get something with alcohol with dinner. We also have a pre dinner drink in the bar.

Only speaking for myself, but the valet benefit alone pays for the Tables card.
And yes, we would valet even if it wasn't free.

MG

So if i buy it on January 1st 2017 it will be good through feb 28th 2018?
You won't be able to buy a gold pass on the first. You'll have to buy it on the 3rd because the first and second are blocked.
I plan to use a six day hopper beginning on NYE, then I will upgrade to gold on the 3rd. I expect to get 13 months with a back-dated start date of 12/31.

Yes, but many like some of the finer restaurants. Cali Grill and Yatchtsman both only have 10% on AP. I believe 'Ohana as well.
Some of our other favorites also come out well ahead with Tables, even with the AP discount.
As I said, "many" people are better of with TIW. Not "all or most".
That said, my wife and I eat at the signatures often, and always get something with alcohol with dinner. We also have a pre dinner drink in the bar.

Only speaking for myself, but the valet benefit alone pays for the Tables card.
And yes, we would valet even if it wasn't free.

MG
It only matters where and what you do, not what places one picks out to compare. If one will do significant alcohol or have sufficient volume at those locations it indeed may work out to advantage. If the valet parking is something you value, it may be worth it. I took our upcoming trip and just used the locations and dollars I've already calculated to compare the DP and the savings in our case on what would be 59 credits for the DP came out to be $144.40, no alcohol for us. And 9 of those locations were only 10% with the AP and 20% with TIW compared to 5 where they were both 20%.

It only matters where and what you do, not what places one picks out to compare. If one will do significant alcohol or have sufficient volume at those locations it indeed may work out to advantage. If the valet parking is something you value, it may be worth it. I took our upcoming trip and just used the locations and dollars I've already calculated to compare the DP and the savings in our case on what would be 59 credits for the DP came out to be $144.40, no alcohol for us. And 9 of those locations were only 10% with the AP and 20% with TIW compared to 5 where they were both 20%.

So .... $144.40 savings is with the 10% AP or the DP ... or 20% TIW ?

So .... $144.40 savings is with the 10% AP or the DP ... or 20% TIW ?
It's the difference between the AP savings and TIW savings at those locations we have reserved and I'd already figured out the likely costs. I ignored tips as it shouldn't matter in this situation, it only does slightly for the DP calculations, not enough to really consider.. 9 of the 14 restaurants only offered 10% AP discount but all offered some discount with both and all were 20% with TIW. Like with the DP one needs to look at their situation to see where it falls. For most where a pass makes sense it probably isn't going to be worth it but it will or some.

It's the difference between the AP savings and TIW savings at those locations we have reserved and I'd already figured out the likely costs. I ignored tips as it shouldn't matter in this situation, it only does slightly for the DP calculations, not enough to really consider.. 9 of the 14 restaurants only offered 10% AP discount but all offered some discount with both and all were 20% with TIW. Like with the DP one needs to look at their situation to see where it falls. For most where a pass makes sense it probably isn't going to be worth it but it will or some.
So ... the savings with the TIW would be $288.80 which would render the TIW unworthy as it would only be roughly 1/3 of the cost needed to break even, yes?

Do you think drinks would alter the consideration significantly?

Actually, thinking on it, as we go 3 or 4 times annually and do add pricey beverages this confirms the TIW discount card works for us.

Last edited:
You won't be able to buy a gold pass on the first. You'll have to buy it on the 3rd because the first and second are blocked.
I plan to use a six day hopper beginning on NYE, then I will upgrade to gold on the 3rd. I expect to get 13 months with a back-dated start date of 12/31.

One can still purchase a pass on January 1st, it just isn't eligible to be used for entry on that day. The OP isn't going until later in January.

In your situation, even though it will backdate I would not be assuming that it will be for 13 months if you wait until the 3rd. I believe the requirement is to purchase it prior to the 3rd so I'd make that purchase upgrade before leaving the park on the 2nd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter