1st time solo traveler...and a little nervous!

Born4Travel

Earning My Ears
I have been to WDW many times, but always with my husband or husband and 2 kids. Next week I am there for a conference. I have 1 day at the beginning and 1 day at the end free to myself. I also have every evening free. I am a little at a loss on what to do with myself! Will I be able to have fun without my family to share it with? ;)

Any suggestions?

TIA

Is there anything you have always wanted to do but it was shot down by your travelling companions? You could focus on stuff like that, or just the things you really enjoy. Go at your own pace and enjoy it to the fullest.

Last edited:
Eat at the places you did with family there. It will make you book a trip for everyone. Then have liter at Bier Garten just because.

Serious question - do you enjoy doing things alone in your everyday life? Some people are just happier with companionship. Me, I'm a big old introvert and I love doing things on my own, so for me, solo at WDW is awesome!

I agree with Brian L - a solo trip is the perfect opportunity to do things that your DH or kids can't or won't do, think is a waste of time, etc. That could be shopping around World Showcase or eating at an "adventurous" restaurant they won't try. It could be riding Small World six times in a row and standing in line to meet Goofy. It could be spending time taking photos, vegging by the pool, resort-hopping, or you could be the first one in the park at rope drop and the last one out at night.

Lots and lots of people will tell you, the best part of being solo is being in total control of your trip - and it's true!

I think most people are nervous the first time they do something alone that is "normally" done with others, but it's not as scary as you think! Do some of your favourite things, but I would also do something that you never have time for with your family in tow!

I went on my first solo trip to DLR last year and since then also did solo trips to WDW and USO. I am now planning another one for October. It can become quite addicting. I'm a big-time introvert and also visually impaired so it wasn't too easy to ask for help when I needed it but ended up having a great time. Touring on your schedule is so relaxing! One time I spent nearly 2 hours in that shop in Japan. I wouldn't have been able to do that if my friends/family were with me.

Some good ideas! :)
I don't know if I am an introvert when out and about by myself. This is only the second time in 25 years that I have been somewhere without family! :) The last time was 18 years ago. (maybe I need to get out more, eh?:tongue:)

I have always wanted to really explore Epcot. Usually my family is rushing thru just to check it off the list. So I will do that!

I think I might just ...sit... somewhere and soak in the magic. Again something I never get to do for my favorite place on earth!

What would your suggestions be to just enjoy the Magic?

Thanks so much for the encouragement!!

Some good ideas! :)
I don't know if I am an introvert when out and about by myself. This is only the second time in 25 years that I have been somewhere without family! :) The last time was 18 years ago. (maybe I need to get out more, eh?:tongue:)

I have always wanted to really explore Epcot. Usually my family is rushing thru just to check it off the list. So I will do that!

I think I might just ...sit... somewhere and soak in the magic. Again something I never get to do for my favorite place on earth!

Thanks so much for the encouragement!!
i did some solo time at wdw for the first time last spring and it was wonderful! i have always traveled with hubby and son, but this time was so relaxed. i rode the monorail and visited the resorts, cruised through all the countries in epcot without rushing, rode soaring a lot, lol! i like to go to magic kingdom, pick up a starbucks breakfast sandwich and sit in the sunshine to have a quick breakfast after riding a few rides at rope drop. the boardwalk area is another place that i got to explore. staying on property made it all so easy with transportation. i never made it to dtd but next time i will. we are going for food and wine but hubby will have to leave me on my own for a few days so he can go to work, and i am looking forward to checking out the food and wine kiosks at epcot.. give it a chance, you might find , like a previous poster said, that it is addicting! also, don't feel self conscious because everyone is so into their own little world that they don't even notice that you might be on your own. good luck! ps, look at it as a great opportunity to walk and get exercise. with all the distractions, you will log a lot of miles and not even realize it. i also like to pin trade : )

I go about once ever 4 to 6 weeks most of the time alone and I can say I like it a little more. I can do what I want when I want. it really is nice being able to do this you can go as slow or fast as you would like.

My first solo trip I was a little scared but about 1 hour into it, I was hooked. I found myself just sitting on benches with an ice cream and watching people, chatting with total strangers in line, eating when I wanted to eat - what I wanted to eat, going to shows (heaven forbid) just walking around the resort early in the morning.

Serious question - do you enjoy doing things alone in your everyday life? Some people are just happier with companionship. Me, I'm a big old introvert and I love doing things on my own, so for me, solo at WDW is awesome!

I agree with Brian L - a solo trip is the perfect opportunity to do things that your DH or kids can't or won't do, think is a waste of time, etc. That could be shopping around World Showcase or eating at an "adventurous" restaurant they won't try. It could be riding Small World six times in a row and standing in line to meet Goofy. It could be spending time taking photos, vegging by the pool, resort-hopping, or you could be the first one in the park at rope drop and the last one out at night.

Lots and lots of people will tell you, the best part of being solo is being in total control of your trip - and it's true!

Totally agree!

Epcot's World Showcase has become my favorite place when I go solo. The family just wants to stroll through and leave, but I love to travel so like to check out the films, shops, eateries, watch the performers, etc, which I can never do when they are along.

...Or, ride Star Tours 4 times in a row because there was no line, or have an ice cream sundae for lunch because that is what I wanted. One highlight was taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK. It's adult only and you'll see other solos, plus it'll give you a whole new perspective on Walt and the MK.

I like being able to have solo time- I tend to be highly efficient and don't like others ambling about, but I've never done a true "solo trip" where I don't see anyone the entire time; I have a lot of family and friends in Orlando, so I always meet up with someone- usually for a late afternoon in the parks and then a TS dinner.

That being said-take the time to do what YOU want to do- be it 5 spins around the Carousel of Progress, doing laps of RnRC or EE in the single rider line, or show hopping- it's all UP TO YOU!

I have found that bringing a book with me helps for when I do have to wait in a long tine. Sometimes, you can have great conversations with people around you, other times you will just hear crickets who you try and engage people in conversations.

People watching is also great- as Sir William and Loves to Dive mentioned. I can be in World Showcase ALL DAY and never get bored- there is just so much to see and so many people to watch!

The things/memories I cherish most about my first solo trip in 2011...

ALL the parks: Taking advantage of EVERY EMH, especially the 8:00am ones. I did almost everything in ever park on each 8:00am rope drop within hours!! Every time I had been there before I was lucky if we got to the parks by 10/11:00!! And staying until 1:00am?? PRICELESS!!

Epcot:
-Mexico and getting a Jalapeno Margarita in the Tequila bar and then sitting outside enjoying it, people watching
-the freedom to ride Test Track 5 times in a row via the single rider line

Animal Kingdom:
-Dinosaur 4 times in a row, with the 4th time having it breakdown!! It was actually AWESOME seeing how tame the ride really is when the lights are on, the sounds are off and the 'magic' can be seen!!
-Kali Rapid Rivers, 3 times in a row, and SOAKED. My ex could barely do it once the times we went.

Hollywood Studios:
-Spending over an hour in One Man's Dream, viewing/reading/looking at EVERYTHING!
-Tower of Terror 4 times in a row!!!

Magic Kingdom:
-Taking so many pictures for couples I saw taking a shot of their spouse, so they could both be in them. One couple really stood out. He had surprised his g/f that morning by asking her to marry him in front of Cinderella Castle but had no one to take the pic! SOOO, I asked them if they'd like to recreate it? "YES" I told them I would keep the secret : > AWESOME memory
-Riding Space Mountain on a Wednesday morning EMH...9 times in a row!!!!
-People watching. You can do this at all 3 of the other parks but the 'magic' is truly the best for this in MK.

Have a great time making NEW 'solo' memories...who knows, you might make memories for others you have yet to meet!

I keep thinking about a solo trip, as I am in a relationship with someone that tolerates and accepts my disney obsession, even if she is not a fan. I could go 2-3 times per year, but once is more than enough for her.

I always worry about the loss of having someone to share the experience with, to share the pure joy I feel when riding something like the people mover. But after thinking about, I realized that most of my past trips have really been solo trips anyway, because I'm the only one emotionally invested.

So enjoy yourself. Bask in the amazing that is disney fandom without needing to tone things down for other people!

The things/memories I cherish most about my first solo trip in 2011...

ALL the parks: Taking advantage of EVERY EMH, especially the 8:00am ones. I did almost everything in ever park on each 8:00am rope drop within hours!! Every time I had been there before I was lucky if we got to the parks by 10/11:00!! And staying until 1:00am?? PRICELESS!!

Epcot:
-Mexico and getting a Jalapeno Margarita in the Tequila bar and then sitting outside enjoying it, people watching
-the freedom to ride Test Track 5 times in a row via the single rider line

Have a great time making NEW 'solo' memories...who knows, you might make memories for others you have yet to meet!

Wow! You know how to rock the solo trip! I'm gonna try to be like you. :)
Thanks for the encouragement.
:)

Yes! My favorite place to do this is World Showcase. I like to grab a snack and drink and then just hang out for a bit. Then I'll walk a little bit and do it all over again! It's really fun to people watch here.

Not sure if you'd consider getting a park hopper, but Main Street is another area that's great for this.

I keep thinking about a solo trip, as I am in a relationship with someone that tolerates and accepts my disney obsession, even if she is not a fan. I could go 2-3 times per year, but once is more than enough for her.

I'm in a similar boat. I take a trip with my boyfriend and another couple once a year. My boyfriend isn't into Disney World at all -- but he always goes on this annual trip with friends. I've taken three solo trips without him now, and it's been great! It's a big relief not to have to make sure he's enjoying himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter