1st time Discount questions

Definitely keep an eye on the Dis news stories on the right hand side of the screen in these forums. Every week, they post the discounts available. The best deals tend to be for florida residents, military or canada residents, but lately there are more special discounts available to everyone, though typically with a restricted fare (i.e., you let Disney choose the room for you within a category--VGT (verandah guarantee); OGT (oceanview guarantee) or IGT (inside guarantee)--and the fare is non-refundable).
I just discovered this! Thanks for the help with the acronyms - I saw them this morning and thought, "I can't ask these nice people to answer any more questions for me...."

placeholder! I’ve kicked myself several times for not always booking one
you can always cancel it when you get home, but you can’t add it once your foot is off the boat.

Ooh, this is good - I'm going to use that exact language to coerce my husband into our second Disney cruise :-)

Sadly, it's the illusion of safety onboard a DCL ship over any other cruise line. There have been incidents onboard Disney ships with unattended children. Remember it's just a small town, lots of people who are unknown to either you or your child.

Totally agree - and have the same thoughts when I post about children having more opportunity to try independence. I’m hoping parents would know that and not just let their kids go without caution.

We didn't start cruising until 2008. Since then - 25 cruises, 12 of which are Disney. We're averaging around 2 or 3 cruises a year. Until THIS year....guess we won't be hitting the mark for this year. We had to cancel a Cuba cruise (well, switched it to an October cruise), European River cruise in April and the Sea of Cortes cruise in October (Boo! :sad:)

We started in 2007. I’m looking at any line cruise #25 this November. Took off several years recently for illness. Happy to be back on the planning /travel wagon again.

I just discovered this! Thanks for the help with the acronyms - I saw them this morning and thought, "I can't ask these nice people to answer any more questions for me...."

Ooh, this is good - I'm going to use that exact language to coerce my husband into our second Disney cruise :-)

This exactly the place to ask ANY question about cruising Disney. And NOW is the time; none of us are experiencing the cruises many should have taken this year.

Talking about cruising must release the endorphins I get when on the ship, because it brings back happy memories.

Ask away.

This exactly the place to ask ANY question about cruising Disney. And NOW is the time; none of us are experiencing the cruises many should have taken this year.

Talking about cruising must release the endorphins I get when on the ship, because it brings back happy memories.

Ask away.

Thank you 💖 that's kind. And the planning's definitely the best part by far - welcome back to the bandwagon!

Thank you 💖 that's kind. And the planning's definitely the best part by far - welcome back to the bandwagon!

My mother always said that planning was half the fun. It certainly lasts longer than the actual event.

It certainly lasts longer than the actual event.
Unless, of course, you book very last minute. The shortest time between booking and a cruise for us has been 3 days (really 2 1/2, we booked on Thursday night for Sunday departure). And that was for a 4 night cruise.

DCL pricing is highly based on supply and demand, including dates. The same 7-night Caribbean cruise for 5 people can range from under $8000 to over $16,000 depending on the dates. We have selected mid August dates as they are the cheapest summer rates before getting too close to school restarting. If you can cruise in September, those are going to be the very cheapest rates. I’ve found the prices are highest in the beginning of July, and drop about 6-7% per week throughout the summer, into September. May is also fairly reasonable.

Holiday weeks like Xmas/New Years and Easter break are also premium pricing. I’ve also noticed that the less popular dates don’t increase in price over time like the popular dates do. The less popular dates may only increase a couple of hundred dollars at most, where popular dates may increase significantly in price as the ship reaches capacity.

I would also discourage the 3-night cruises. You are only on the ship for 2 full days. Way too short. Our first cruise was a 4-night which I feel is the minimum time needed to experience all the ships have to offer. We booked a 7-night onboard for our next cruise, taking advantage of the 10% discount.

Yes, also noticed on the last round of discounts they included a lot of discounts for the upcoming Fantasy sailings for October this year. That was strange to me. You would think they would want to be reducing capacity and not try to give additional incentive to pile more people on?
I believe Fantasy is taking over for Dream on a couple of the shorter Bahamas cruises while Dream is in drydock. This could explain the difference in cost from Fantasy's normal 7-night cruises.

DH is a cruise enthusiast, but not a Disney fan. He's curious about DCL only because he's heard how great the service is and how nice the ships are - but the Disney brand is almost a turnoff for him and the price tag is not what we're used to on other cruise lines. Now that we're expecting our first child, I think he's more willing to explore DCL, but the question that keeps coming up is, "Is it really worth double or triple our usual budget?"

Touring Plans says the way to get the best fare is to book as early as possible, at least 1 year out. Is that true? Are there other ways for anyone who hasn't been on DCL before? I'm planning to contract a Disney-knowledgable travel agent but we're not at that point yet.
(My parents are moving to Florida in a year or two, so I expect we'll eventually coerce them to come with us so we can use their FL resident discount. But before then?)
Ways to reduce cost on DCL:
1. Cruise off-season. Mid-January through February is a particularly affordable time.
2. Book via Costco, and get 8.5% back in the form of a Costco cash card that you can use toward Costco purchases, including buying gas at the pump. Executive members & Costco Visa holders get additional rebates. Costco rebates are on top of any discounts you get from DCL, btw.
3. Book last-minute restricted rates, that begin appearing for many (not all) cruises a few months before sail date. These prices are sometimes better than opening day prices.
4. Book on opening day.
5. Book your second cruise or placeholder onboard, to get the 10% loyalty discount (not available for concierge bookings & some blackout dates apply).

2. Book via Costco, and get 8.5% back in the form of a Costco cash card that you can use toward Costco purchases, including buying gas at the pump. Executive members & Costco Visa holders get additional rebates. Costco rebates are on top of any discounts you get from DCL, btw.
3. Book last-minute restricted rates, that begin appearing for many (not all) cruises a few months before sail date. These prices are sometimes better than opening day prices.

Thank you! We just joined Costco and now I'm extra glad we did :-)
I think I've figured this out, but restricted rates mean you book for a certain category and just don't get to choose your specific cabin. Is that correct? (DH always books our cruises, so I'm still learning the lingo)

Thank you! We just joined Costco and now I'm extra glad we did :-)
I think I've figured this out, but restricted rates mean you book for a certain category and just don't get to choose your specific cabin. Is that correct? (DH always books our cruises, so I'm still learning the lingo)
The last minute restricted rates you book a type of room (inside, oceanview, or veranda). DCL will assign you a room within your type (or better) later.

Each type of room has several different categories, depending on location and number of beds.

Those bookings are called "IGT, OGT, or VGT".

You can also book a "GTY" room. That is, you can select a specific category (like 5A, 9C, whatever). Usually no difference price for those over selecting a room. You will then be assigned a room within your category (or better) at a later time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter