1st Time Cruisers - What do we need to know?

Or just leave the closet ajar for a nightlight

with all the crap that people like to drag along on their cruise, the one thing I actually endorse bringing is a nightlight! small, light weight, and needed for those who get up in middle of night.

as far as what I would have liked to know:
reading as much as you can is important. making a list of must-do's is important. reading the navigators is imperative! learning to ignore all your list and plans and going with the flow is the absolute!!!! unless you want to run around the ship like a maniac for the length of your cruise, you will find it easier to make up your mental itinerary each morning or evening with the navigator.....there will be other cruises to see what you missed. oh, and don't sweat the dining rotation....its all good

That is why God invented on-board booking discounts!

enjoy your cruise! life is short....make the most of it

As pp said there's a 5% discount when you use your Target Redcard to purchase things including disney giftcards. That's 5% off your cruise if you buy gift cards to pay for the cruise. Additionally during December they usually (the last 2 years anyway) have a deal where if you purchase a $50 gift card, you get a $10 target gift card. If you then use the $10 gift card to pay for the next $50 gift card and pay the rest with your Redcard, you end up getting around 25% off. Hopefully that's clear, it's a little confusing. Look around the forums for a better explanation.

Is there a limit as to how many you can purchase?
What can you use the gift cards for -- booking a cruise, excursions, on-board purchases, etc?

Okay, I have to know.....and yes it's probably a dumb question but I've never been on a cruise or know anyone that has been on a Disney Cruise. We usually vacation at Disney when they offer free dining......does the Cruise line prices include dining or is there a food court? I know a lot of people mention Palo, but I'm at a loss at how all this food and room service, tips and dining times/rotation works out. Just trying to figure out total budget....etc.

All meals except Palo and Remy are included. Tips are not. Disney auto adds them to your account. It is a set amount multiplied by the nbr in your cabin times the number of days. For my wife and I on a 7 day cruise I think it was $168.

And room service is extra as well....correct? This is a new venture.....I'm going to have to read up on this stuff.

As pp said there's a 5% discount when you use your Target Redcard to purchase things including disney giftcards. That's 5% off your cruise if you buy gift cards to pay for the cruise. Additionally during December they usually (the last 2 years anyway) have a deal where if you purchase a $50 gift card, you get a $10 target gift card. If you then use the $10 gift card to pay for the next $50 gift card and pay the rest with your Redcard, you end up getting around 25% off. Hopefully that's clear, it's a little confusing. Look around the forums for a better explanation.

Is the December deal advertised or do I have to just keep going to Target often (which isn't too difficult to do). Is it early December or closer to the end? Sounds like such a great deal -- do t want to miss out on it.

And room service is extra as well....correct? This is a new venture.....I'm going to have to read up on this stuff.

Room service is free. All food on board is free, except alcohol, if you eat dinner at Remy or palo, and packaged snacks (candy, popcorn, sundries from the gift shop). Soda is free unless you have it served to you at a bar or by room service I believe (someone help me out there as I am not a big soda drinker). If you eat at the regular sit down restaurants, or buffets, or quick service places by the pool (think pizza, burgers, wraps, salads) or room service 24/7 it will all be free. One thing is sure -you will not starve on a Disney cruise and if you don't drink alcohol, bottled/ canned beverages or specialty coffees, you on't have to spend a dime BUT FOR TIPS. Tips are $12 per person for day, more if you have exceptional service, which hopefully you will.

Besides tips an alcohol you will spend money on shore excursions, gifts, spa services, specialty dining, photos...

Is the December deal advertised or do I have to just keep going to Target often (which isn't too difficult to do). Is it early December or closer to the end? Sounds like such a great deal -- do t want to miss out on it.

Usually on Facebook, which I am not on but my mom is so that is how I have heard of it ( and of course here on the DIS)

Room service is free. All food on board is free, except alcohol, if you eat dinner at Remy or palo, and packaged snacks (candy, popcorn, sundries from the gift shop). Soda is free unless you have it served to you at a bar or by room service I believe (someone help me out there as I am not a big soda drinker). If you eat at the regular sit down restaurants, or buffets, or quick service places by the pool (think pizza, burgers, wraps, salads) or room service 24/7 it will all be free. One thing is sure -you will not starve on a Disney cruise and if you don't drink alcohol, bottled/ canned beverages or specialty coffees, you on't have to spend a dime BUT FOR TIPS. Tips are $12 per person for day, more if you have exceptional service, which hopefully you will.

Besides tips an alcohol you will spend money on shore excursions, gifts, spa services, specialty dining, photos...

WOW:eek: are you serious? I've got some major foodies for kids.......and none of us (except my DH) drink soda. I'm sold.....I had no idea!!!! Thank you for taking the time to explain that! Well that's one thing out of the way LOL

Now another question.....I keep reading about how people don't really enjoy the Wonder ship.....that seems to be the only one that leaves from Miami, which is I think the closest port to us. Is that ship really that bad? Never mind....looks like Port Canaveral is closer and they have the Dream and Magic :)

Oh my, just reading over some stuff on Mousesavers and it mentions needing a passport......really? There are 6 of us!!!

WOW:eek: are you serious? I've got some major foodies for kids.......and none of us (except my DH) drink soda. I'm sold.....I had no idea!!!! Thank you for taking the time to explain that! Well that's one thing out of the way LOL

Now another question.....I keep reading about how people don't really enjoy the Wonder ship.....that seems to be the only one that leaves from Miami, which is I think the closest port to us. Is that ship really that bad? Never mind....looks like Port Canaveral is closer and they have the Dream and Magic :)

Oh my, just reading over some stuff on Mousesavers and it mentions needing a passport......really? There are 6 of us!!!

I love the Wonder. She was our first ship we sailed on and I think the Wonder is a good first ship to sail since it is smaller than the Fantasy or Dream.

You can bring your own wine or whatever else you want on board if you want. It has to be carried with you (carry on) and has to fit thru a TSA style scanner. This is the only cruise line I know that let's you do this so that can save you money if you want to make your own margaritas or have your own wine. Of course you can still buy on board as well. Just wanted you to know that this was an option.

I don't drink.....DH does, so he might take some in our carry ons....but probably not LOL. I really want a longer cruise, but Port Canaveral doesn't really have longer cruises unless you do the Caribbean and that's 7 nights. So many choices...LOL

While I think that everyone should have a passport, just in general, and was personally happy to have our upcoming first cruise as an excuse to finally get my kids theirs, you do NOT technically need to have passports for a cruise which leaves from a US port, goes to certain nearby countries (including The Bahamas) and returns to the same US port. There are things that can happen that can make you wish you'd gotten a passport (if you should need to fly from The Bahamas back into the US, you'll need a passport- getting an emergency passport while there is possible, but will take a little bit of time), but for most people, on most trips, everything will go fine and you won't have needed a passport. People aged 16 and over need their birth certificate and a government picture ID (like, driver license), people under the age of 16 just need their birth certificate.

So my three youngest (under 15) only need a birth certificate to get a Passport, or to board the ship? They are adopted so we have new birth certificates but haven't ever went to get updated social security cards. I'd hate to need passports and not has them.

So my three youngest (under 15) only need a birth certificate to get a Passport, or to board the ship? They are adopted so we have new birth certificates but haven't ever went to get updated social security cards. I'd hate to need passports and not has them.

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely but I'll try to sum it up here:

If you are returning to the same port you left from in the U.S. you do not need a passport. Children under 16 can sail with just a valid original birth certificate (not a copy!) and people over 16 need an original birth cert as well as photo ID such as a drivers license. You can circumvent all of this if you have a passport and that is all you'll need.

Additionally you cannot fly, drive, walk, go-cart, catapult, saunter, skip, hop or jump back into the U.S. without a passport so if some big emergency happens (heart attack?) and you need to fly back into the U.S. it can be rather complicated and costly. This is why most people choose to just get passports for everyone.

All that said, I don't get them for my kids because it would cost a small fortune and they're only valid for 5 years....so birth certs it is.

We are a family of 6, and have our first cruise planned for May 2014 - a 4-Night Bahamian cruise on the Dream. As first timers, what do we need to know? What did you wish people would have told you before your first cruise? We have read up on the basics (I think!) but we still have A LOT to learn!

Which sailing are you on? I just booked last night on the May 18th

Soda is free unless you have it served to you at a bar or by room service I believe (someone help me out there as I am not a big soda drinker).

I'm not a big soda drinker either and have only ordered alcohol at the bar, but I'm pretty sure soda is free there. Maybe someone else knows for sure...

I'm not a big soda drinker either and have only ordered alcohol at the bar, but I'm pretty sure soda is free there. Maybe someone else knows for sure...

Sodas ordered from bars/lounges, poolside servers, servers in the theatres, and room service have a cost.

Only sodas at meals and from the drink station are included in the cruisefare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter