• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st time cruisers!!! Advice? Lay it on me!!!

Unfortunately, there are no 4 nighters in our time frame, so the 3 day will have to do. There's always next time though!! :goodvibes

Yeah I think the four night cruise at the end of August was chartered out to DVC. I remember people mad because their cruise was cancelled. Well maybe you will like it so much you will want to do a 7 night cruise next time.

My sage twindaddy advice...

1. If you even have a hint you are going to sail with DCL again, which you will, book another cruise on board. No, really, do it. And do it early in the cruise. You do not have to pick a date, there is a placeholder called a "dummy date" that can be moved to an actual date later. Or, of course, you can pick a date you want too.

2. Bring less clothes and more money, like twice as much money and half as many clothes.

3. Realize you will not be able to do everything. Go at a leisurely pace and do fun things each day, you will cruise again, don't worry about that.

4. The tipping amounts sound like a lot, but by the end of the cruise, you will want to tip more. In most cases, the service is wonderful.

5. Order room service to be delivered each morning. It is so much better than a alarm, to have a nice cast member knocking on your door with coffee, OJ, and some breakfast treats. Its free, other than a buck or two tip.

6. Talk to the crew, ask them questions about themselves and where they are from.

7. Participate in the fish extender group for your cruise, even if you just hang an old ratty bag from your fish (a little clip thing outside each door). It is so much fun to have little gifts waiting every time you come back to your stateroom.

8. Have a great time!

1. If you even have a hint you are going to sail with DCL again, which you will, book another cruise on board. No, really, do it. And do it early in the cruise. You do not have to pick a date, there is a placeholder called a "dummy date" that can be moved to an actual date later. Or, of course, you can pick a date you want too.

2. Bring less clothes and more money, like twice as much money and half as many clothes.

3. Realize you will not be able to do everything. Go at a leisurely pace and do fun things each day, you will cruise again, don't worry about that.

4. The tipping amounts sound like a lot, but by the end of the cruise, you will want to tip more. In most cases, the service is wonderful.

5. Order room service to be delivered each morning. It is so much better than a alarm, to have a nice cast member knocking on your door with coffee, OJ, and some breakfast treats. Its free, other than a buck or two tip.

6. Talk to the crew, ask them questions about themselves and where they are from.

7. Participate in the fish extender group for your cruise, even if you just hang an old ratty bag from your fish (a little clip thing outside each door). It is so much fun to have little gifts waiting every time you come back to your stateroom.

8. Have a great time!

agree with the room service....never took advantage of it until our 5th cruise but make sure you tell them what you want specifically....they brought coffee, hot chocolate, milk for the coffee grapefruit juice....i asked them to bring three cups (for the coffee and hot chocolate)...the next two days they brought 3 of everything (milk/grapefruit juice) and it was a waste...

agree with the room service....never took advantage of it until our 5th cruise but make sure you tell them what you want specifically....they brought coffee, hot chocolate, milk for the coffee grapefruit juice....i asked them to bring three cups (for the coffee and hot chocolate)...the next two days they brought 3 of everything (milk/grapefruit juice) and it was a waste...

Good point, be VERY specific. I learned that the hard way one day.

3 bagels, sliced, two cereals, two milks, two forks, two cups, ECT

4. The tipping amounts sound like a lot, but by the end of the cruise, you will want to tip more. In most cases, the service is wonderful. 5. Order room service to be delivered each morning. It is so much better than a alarm, to have a nice cast member knocking on your door with coffee, OJ, and some breakfast treats. Its free, other than a buck or two tip.

8. Have a great time!

So, with the tipping (and I just Googled for the "official policy")....We are often overzealous tippers, :laughing: but, is it still true that on the Disney Dream, tipping is not automatically put on your onboard account? If not, then how do you usually do the tip? Envelopes??? That's what we do at WDW...

And, is the suggested amount per person, per day, or for everyone? :confused3

I am trying to get a feel for how much we have to pay out of pocket for....I know alcohol, tips...

:wave:

Hey you!

We leave on the Magic next Wednesday!! I'll let you know if you should make a cha cha cha changgggge! (not that you would EVER do that, lol :rotfl2:)

Not sure if I'll do a TR or not... but you'll hear all about it on my FB :cutie:

:beach:

I think you chose a great room type and location. Will you be going straight from the airport to Port Canaveral, or will you be staying at WDW before the cruise? I ask because, while it may not be the least expensive option, it's fun to take the DCL bus to the port for your first cruise. The look of the bus and the DCL video they show during the ride really get you excited for what's to come!

A couple of corrections from previous posts:

*As first-time cruisers, your booking window opens at 75 days out (same as your paid-in-full or PIF date).

*Main seating for dinner on the Dream and Fantasy is 5:45 (second seating is at 8:15).

There is no Photopass system on the cruise. DCL uses KTTW cards and photo recognition to sort their photos. You can stop by Shutters at any time to see the photos that have been taken. You can buy the photos a la carte or purchase a package that includes printed photos, photos on a CD, or both.

I try to carry my camera with me at all times while onboard. You never know when you might encounter a character or see a great photo opportunity! Also, the CMs at character meet & greets are happy to take photos with your camera. This is great since it actually allows you to be in some of the photos! Sometimes there is no Shutters photographer at the meet & greets, so you will need to have your own camera. You may want to consider an autograph book of some type for your kids. I didn't think my DD, who was 8 when we went on our first cruise, would be all that into the characters. She surprised us, though, and wanted to meet them all! She used a notebook she had brought with her as an autograph book, but I wish I had bought her the real thing.

Re: tipping - DCL does automatically charge the recommended amount to your onboard account unless you go to Guest Services and instruct them otherwise. You can have them add more money (or take some away) as well. They provide envelopes and tickets with the gratuity amount printed on them near the end of the cruise. For our cruises, we've let them charge the recommended amounts and then added cash to the envelopes before handing them out.

My sage twindaddy advice... 1. If you even have a hint you are going to sail with DCL again, which you will, book another cruise on board. No, really, do it. And do it early in the cruise. You do not have to pick a date, there is a placeholder called a "dummy date" that can be moved to an actual date later. Or, of course, you can pick a date you want too. 2. Bring less clothes and more money, like twice as much money and half as many clothes. 3. Realize you will not be able to do everything. Go at a leisurely pace and do fun things each day, you will cruise again, don't worry about that. 4. The tipping amounts sound like a lot, but by the end of the cruise, you will want to tip more. In most cases, the service is wonderful. 5. Order room service to be delivered each morning. It is so much better than a alarm, to have a nice cast member knocking on your door with coffee, OJ, and some breakfast treats. Its free, other than a buck or two tip. 6. Talk to the crew, ask them questions about themselves and where they are from. 7. Participate in the fish extender group for your cruise, even if you just hang an old ratty bag from your fish (a little clip thing outside each door). It is so much fun to have little gifts waiting every time you come back to your stateroom. 8. Have a great time!

I second tip number one. Th Onboard booking benefits for a next cruise is awesome. 10% off, 10%deposit instead of 20%, and Onboard credit for next time,

It's me again. I admit to not reading all the posts closely so if someone mentioned this I apologize. I didn't see anyone mention anything about pirate night. A lot of people dress up for this night. Our first cruise I found out last minute and just put the girls in black capris and white shirts and a pirate bandana. Sometimes they give out bandanas but I don't think for the 3 nights....not sure. It is fun and if the kids like to dress up it's a hoot!

To answer your other question.....we LOVED WL CL and are staying again in 29 days (but who's counting). We got the room you recommended and saw amazing fireworks from our room a few nights. Made the trip even more magical.....so thanks!

Emily

:wave:

Hey you!

We leave on the Magic next Wednesday!! I'll let you know if you should make a cha cha cha changgggge! (not that you would EVER do that, lol :rotfl2:)

Not sure if I'll do a TR or not... but you'll hear all about it on my FB :cutie:

:beach:

Hello! Have a fantastic trip! And can't wait to see and hear all about it!!! :banana:

I think you chose a great room type and location. Will you be going straight from the airport to Port Canaveral, or will you be staying at WDW before the cruise? I ask because, while it may not be the least expensive option, it's fun to take the DCL bus to the port for your first cruise. The look of the bus and the DCL video they show during the ride really get you excited for what's to come!

A couple of corrections from previous posts:

*As first-time cruisers, your booking window opens at 75 days out (same as your paid-in-full or PIF date).

*Main seating for dinner on the Dream and Fantasy is 5:45 (second seating is at 8:15).

There is no Photopass system on the cruise. DCL uses KTTW cards and photo recognition to sort their photos. You can stop by Shutters at any time to see the photos that have been taken. You can buy the photos a la carte or purchase a package that includes printed photos, photos on a CD, or both.

I try to carry my camera with me at all times while onboard. You never know when you might encounter a character or see a great photo opportunity! Also, the CMs at character meet & greets are happy to take photos with your camera. This is great since it actually allows you to be in some of the photos! Sometimes there is no Shutters photographer at the meet & greets, so you will need to have your own camera. You may want to consider an autograph book of some type for your kids. I didn't think my DD, who was 8 when we went on our first cruise, would be all that into the characters. She surprised us, though, and wanted to meet them all! She used a notebook she had brought with her as an autograph book, but I wish I had bought her the real thing.

Re: tipping - DCL does automatically charge the recommended amount to your onboard account unless you go to Guest Services and instruct them otherwise. You can have them add more money (or take some away) as well. They provide envelopes and tickets with the gratuity amount printed on them near the end of the cruise. For our cruises, we've let them charge the recommended amounts and then added cash to the envelopes before handing them out.

We are going to do 5 nights at the Grand floridian prior to the cruise, so will take a DCL bus (I am assuming) from there...still have to call and add transport, lol!
We will take DCL bus from ship to airport. :goodvibes

It's me again. I admit to not reading all the posts closely so if someone mentioned this I apologize. I didn't see anyone mention anything about pirate night. A lot of people dress up for this night. Our first cruise I found out last minute and just put the girls in black capris and white shirts and a pirate bandana. Sometimes they give out bandanas but I don't think for the 3 nights....not sure. It is fun and if the kids like to dress up it's a hoot!

To answer your other question.....we LOVED WL CL and are staying again in 29 days (but who's counting). We got the room you recommended and saw amazing fireworks from our room a few nights. Made the trip even more magical.....so thanks!

Emily

Glad you loved it!!!!! It's still our favorite. :goodvibes
Pirate night is right up our alley! ::yes::

Also check out this thread for more interesting things not to miss!
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1380936

Thanks, this is great!!!! :thumbsup2

You're getting lots of great advice here, I'll add my $0.02 anyway :)

First, a list of things you may want to bring along to be more comfortable on the ship:
•Over-Door Hanging Shoe / Item Organizer - You'll see how precious your counter-space is once you get to your cabin. Organize everything from shoes to phones, keys, etc.
•Power Strip - You'll probably only have a single 110v outlet in your cabin, bringing a power strip will allow you to charge multiple phones or laptops. *Note: Check with your cruise line if you have questions about what electrical devices are permitted.
•Travel Pillow - Relax your neck while relaxing on deck, or during that 2-hour bus tour on shore.
•Laundry Bags - So you can keep your dirty clothes separate and keep your luggage clean during the trip home!
•Large, Re-sealable Waterproof Bags (for carrying wet clothes) - Bring one with you to carry or temporarily store your wet clothes or towels.
•Mini Sewing Kit - Be ready for wardrobe mini-emergencies with a compact sewing kit.
•Febreze Travel Size - Strong food smells or smoke from cigarette smokers will cling to your clothes. A quick spray of Febreze before dropping your clothes in the laundry bag will help keep your cabin and luggage smelling as fresh as possible.
•Stain Fighter - Don't let the stains set in, dab it with a stain stick to give you a better chance at washing the stain out when you get home!
•Suction Towel Hooks - The tiny wash-line and towel bars in your bathroom will fill up fast if you're swimming. Always have room to hang wet clothes or towels, trust me you'll appreciate these!
•Document Organizer - You'll be getting lots of flyers for cruise events, shore excursions, and documents. Keep them all in one place for easy retrieval!
•Small First Aid Kit - The ship will certainly have first-aid facilities, but it's smart to make sure you have everything you need to quickly treat minor boo-boos quickly. For the cabin I recommend a small kit with a variety of essentials.
•Hand Sanitizer - (2 oz, small enough to carry with you).
•Hand, Face, and Surface Wipes (travel packs) - Great for swabbing down the kids' faces after a trip to the buffet!
•Toilet Seat Covers (travel packs) - The smaller sized travel packs are very tiny and easy to keep in a pocket or purse, a must-have if using public restrooms on ship or on shore.
•Individual Sun Screen packets - Small and disposable, allows you to carry only what you need! Don't go up on deck without bringing a few packets with you.
•Wet Wipes (travel packs) - I know this is getting personal folks, but you'll want to have a pack handy when roaming the ship and possibly using public restrooms. Positively essential if you have kids.

Next, a list of things you may want to pack for shore excursions:
•Compact Umbrella or Rain Poncho - Something flat and small enough to be out of your way until you need it. Don't get caught unprepared in the rain!
•Insect Repellant - The wipe-on kind come in individual packets so you can carry only what you need and apply them exactly where you want. Bring some protection from local insects that may be carrying who-knows-what!
•Waterproof Phone/Card/Cash Case - Keep your phone and ID safe and dry when splashing around, also lets you keep an eye on the time so you don't get left behind :) Don't spend too much on brand-specific waterproof cases, there are cheap universal cases and pouches.
•Hidden Money Belt - keep your cash and boarding pass safe. Wallets and purses can easily be dropped, left in taxi cabs, or worse (pick-pockets love tourists!). *Note to travelers: Keeping your boarding pass safe is essential, without it you'll have a hard time getting back on-board your ship. Don't take chances being delayed or left behind.
•Sun Hats - If not for yourself, then definitely for your kids. Look for hats that fold up small and can be tucked away when not needed, protect your little ones' head from burning.
•Large, Re-sealable Waterproof Bags (for carrying wet clothes) - If you plan on shopping after a swim, bring one with you to carry or temporarily store your wet clothes so they don't soak through to your dry items.
•Mini First Aid Kit - Even more important when on shore, you may not be near a first-aid station. Make sure it's small enough to easily fit in a purse or day pack.
•Hand Sanitizer - (2 oz, small enough to carry with you)
•Hand, Face, and Surface Wipes (travel packs) - Great for wiping off the table before the kids eat, and for mopping up the messy hands and faces afterwards.
•Toilet Seat Covers (travel packs)
•Individual Sun Screen packets - Small and disposable, allows you to carry only what you need!
•Wet Wipes (travel packs) - For the kids and for the grown-ups, sanitary condition and toilet tissue situation is usually fine on-shore at the public restrooms, but why take chances?

For more travel and cruise tips, check out my blog at CruiseComfort.com

First, a list of things you may want to bring along to be more comfortable on the ship:
•Over-Door Hanging Shoe / Item Organizer - You'll see how precious your counter-space is once you get to your cabin. Organize everything from shoes to phones, keys, etc.
•Power Strip - You'll probably only have a single 110v outlet in your cabin, bringing a power strip will allow you to charge multiple phones or laptops. *Note: Check with your cruise line if you have questions about what electrical devices are permitted.
•Travel Pillow - Relax your neck while relaxing on deck, or during that 2-hour bus tour on shore.
•Laundry Bags - So you can keep your dirty clothes separate and keep your luggage clean during the trip home!
•Large, Re-sealable Waterproof Bags (for carrying wet clothes) - Bring one with you to carry or temporarily store your wet clothes or towels.
•Mini Sewing Kit - Be ready for wardrobe mini-emergencies with a compact sewing kit.
•Febreze Travel Size - Strong food smells or smoke from cigarette smokers will cling to your clothes. A quick spray of Febreze before dropping your clothes in the laundry bag will help keep your cabin and luggage smelling as fresh as possible.
•Stain Fighter - Don't let the stains set in, dab it with a stain stick to give you a better chance at washing the stain out when you get home!
•Suction Towel Hooks - The tiny wash-line and towel bars in your bathroom will fill up fast if you're swimming. Always have room to hang wet clothes or towels, trust me you'll appreciate these!
•Document Organizer - You'll be getting lots of flyers for cruise events, shore excursions, and documents. Keep them all in one place for easy retrieval!
•Small First Aid Kit - The ship will certainly have first-aid facilities, but it's smart to make sure you have everything you need to quickly treat minor boo-boos quickly. For the cabin I recommend a small kit with a variety of essentials.
•Hand, Face, and Surface Wipes (travel packs) - Great for swabbing down the kids' faces after a trip to the buffet!
•Toilet Seat Covers (travel packs) - The smaller sized travel packs are very tiny and easy to keep in a pocket or purse, a must-have if using public restrooms on ship or on shore.
•Individual Sun Screen packets - Small and disposable, allows you to carry only what you need! Don't go up on deck without bringing a few packets with you.
•Wet Wipes (travel packs) - I know this is getting personal folks, but you'll want to have a pack handy when roaming the ship and possibly using public restrooms. Positively essential if you have kids.

•Compact Umbrella or Rain Poncho - Something flat and small enough to be out of your way until you need it. Don't get caught unprepared in the rain!
•Insect Repellant - The wipe-on kind come in individual packets so you can carry only what you need and apply them exactly where you want. Bring some protection from local insects that may be carrying who-knows-what!
•Waterproof Phone/Card/Cash Case - Keep your phone and ID safe and dry when splashing around, also lets you keep an eye on the time so you don't get left behind :) Don't spend too much on brand-specific waterproof cases, there are cheap universal cases and pouches.
•Hidden Money Belt - keep your cash and boarding pass safe. Wallets and purses can easily be dropped, left in taxi cabs, or worse (pick-pockets love tourists!). *Note to travelers: Keeping your boarding pass safe is essential, without it you'll have a hard time getting back on-board your ship. Don't take chances being delayed or left behind.
•Sun Hats - If not for yourself, then definitely for your kids. Look for hats that fold up small and can be tucked away when not needed, protect your little ones' head from burning.
•Large, Re-sealable Waterproof Bags (for carrying wet clothes) - If you plan on shopping after a swim, bring one with you to carry or temporarily store your wet clothes so they don't soak through to your dry items.
•Mini First Aid Kit - Even more important when on shore, you may not be near a first-aid station. Make sure it's small enough to easily fit in a purse or day pack.
•Hand, Face, and Surface Wipes (travel packs) - Great for wiping off the table before the kids eat, and for mopping up the messy hands and faces afterwards.
•Individual Sun Screen packets - Small and disposable, allows you to carry only what you need!
•Wet Wipes (travel packs) - For the kids and for the grown-ups, sanitary condition and toilet tissue situation is usually fine on-shore at the public restrooms, but why take chances?

Great list!!! Thank you and :welcome: to the Dis! :goodvibes

Can you link it please?

I am not able to post a link until I have 10 or more posts...not sure why. :confused3 I just went to amazon.com and searched "hanging closet shoe organizers" and there are several different ones to choose from. Hope that helps some!

That was quite a list. Fabreese for cigarette smoke? Toilet covers? Sewing kit, first aid kid.:lmao: My Dh thinks I over pack I gotta show him this list. Sounds a little OCD too me.:rolleyes1

Love2Cruise1972 said:

Great ideas, thank you!

Not much more to add; -

-Definately budget for pictures, they take great pictues and you will want to purchase a lot of them and they are kind of pricey.

-Over the door shoe organizer is a life saver with 4 people in the room, you will ahve to modify it, DCL do not allow them to hang over the door, we attached our show organizer to a coat hanger with some zip or bread ties, and hung it in the bathrobe/towel hook on the bathroom wall.

-Try to schedule some adult time in the adult deck areas, really peacefuil and quiet up there.

-Change it from a 3 nighter to a 4 nighter....

Have fun, it is awesome.

Love the surprise video!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter