1st Star Wars Weekend - Which Day?

MICHELET

Earning My Ears
My 8 year old son wants to see what Star Wars weekends are about. For those who have been the 1st weekend, which day would you suggest - Saturday (5/21) or Sunday (5/22)? He would not be interested in getting autographs from celebrities. He would probably enjoy seeing the storm troopers at park opening and seeing characters dressed up in star wars gear. Thank you for your help.

Star Wars weekend actually includes the Friday so you're looking at the second and third days. That said, they both have double Fantasmics booked on the nights you're looking at.

For me, I usually do the SW Saturday. They key is to arrive at park opening and grab an early lunch. Usually the crowd doesn't spill out of the Tatooine area but during the busy lunch rush it gets impossible to find a seat at any quick service place in DHS.

If you're not going to stand in any lines for meets then you should be fine doing walk throughs and seeing characters meandering about. That's usually what we do and we've managed to have a good time for the past few years.

I guess I should have also mentioned that we would be interested in doing regular park rides and Jedi training, and wondered which of the 2 days would be least busy.

We are going to go to Star Wars Weekends on Friday. I am sure with the reopening of Star Tours it is going to be a madhouse but I have never seen a ride opening ceremony.

From what I read, as it has been 10 years since I was last at a Star Wars Weekends, the Star Wars areas are packed but the other areas are like a normal day.

But if we find DHS too crowded to do anything but basic stuff, we are going to go back on Monday morning to do the things we couldn't get to.

We will be there for the 1st weekend we plan on being there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Were expecting large crowds all 3 day with the opening of the new Star Tours ride.

That weekend I would do sunday b/c it will be as far away from the new Star Tours opening as you can get and the locals looking for merchandise will be out on Friday making it busier too, any that didn't make it will be there Saturday to scoop up the remaining stuff (and put on ebay at 1000% mark up).

But be prepared SWW are not kid friendly, adults will be around all the charecters skipping line, cussing and cutting up while in line, etc. It is hard telling a patient 4 yr old waiting for a charecter why he has to wait thru antoher 2-3 adults that just cut in front of him (and it's ever harder keeping your claws to yourself when someone does that to your child). Also Hyperspace Hoopla is a nightmare crowd wise and little ones can get shoved, stepped on, and tripped over. I hope they move it to a bigger venue this year it was downright dangerous last year to have kids in that crowd.

That weekend I would do sunday b/c it will be as far away from the new Star Tours opening as you can get and the locals looking for merchandise will be out on Friday making it busier too, any that didn't make it will be there Saturday to scoop up the remaining stuff (and put on ebay at 1000% mark up).

But be prepared SWW are not kid friendly, adults will be around all the charecters skipping line, cussing and cutting up while in line, etc. It is hard telling a patient 4 yr old waiting for a charecter why he has to wait thru antoher 2-3 adults that just cut in front of him (and it's ever harder keeping your claws to yourself when someone does that to your child). Also Hyperspace Hoopla is a nightmare crowd wise and little ones can get shoved, stepped on, and tripped over. I hope they move it to a bigger venue this year it was downright dangerous last year to have kids in that crowd.

I respectfully disagree with you statement that SWW isn't kid friendly. I've been attending SWW for the past 8 years and I haven't experienced adults cutting in line or any cussing. You never know what type of people you would get but if anyone (adult or child) would cut in front of myself and my kids I would politely ask them to go to the back of the line. Also new this year Hyperspace Hoopla will be held at the Hat Stage so there will be more room for everyone. Still it will be very crowded in particular that first weekend with Star Tours opening, press event, limited edition merchandise. I would pack my patience and enjoy the atmosphere. The rest of the park will be regularly crowded.
If you want to sign up for the JTA you must get there before rope drop and head straight for the sign-in area. JTA has become very popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter