1st graders homework.... spend $24??? are you kidding me?

You're right. They shouldn't. Projects shouldn't be assigned until students old enough to do them independently. First graders aren't.

I wouldn't have spent $24 on seeds either. Plus soil and containers? Just because parents CAN afford it, doesn't mean they want to waste their money. These kids are 6. They can learn the same concepts growing 1 plant that they would growing 12. Why didn't she just ask each parent to send $2? :confused3 Then the teacher could go out and buy enough seeds/soil for the whole class.

I completely agree. And that was my entire point, that the project wasn't well organized.

What's this teacher going to do when 20 kids bring in 12 plants each? That's 240 plants in her classroom!!!

I don't know either poster and would just honestly like to know when parents started attacking teachers and complaining about them instead of supporting them?

I mean lets be honest here they help raise our kids! They are with them constatntly and are a huge influence on them. All this complaining about everything is just unbelievable!

I'm not a teacher but I fully understand that they don't get paid nearly enough to put up with half of the crap that has been on this thread.

Amen. Teachers have to be with our kids more waking hours than we do 5 days a week. They are very restricted by budgets and rules in how much they can do for them. There really is no harder job, and it is not because of the 30 kids in the class, but because of the 60 parents. Take the OPost for example. here is a teacher who is trying to come up wit ha hands on activity that will grab the attention fo the class. Something better than a worksheet to fill out. She makes beans for pay and doesn't have a school budget to spring for seed and dirt. She thinks she is doing the best thing for the kids and asks the parents to provide materials. After all her work and planning and putting up with some misbehaved kids that have not been raised properly (not accusing op's kids, just saying all classes have a couple of these) she is thanked for her hard work and planning by a snitty note sent back to school by a parent with refusal to help.

This is why I no longer teach. Loved the kids, hated the parents. No matter how hard you work, how well you plan, how wonderfully you present the material, you are CONSTANTLY being judged by 60 parents who know better. It takes a really special person to put up with that kind of pressure on the job.

I disagree that it is our job to speak up unless something is blatantly unfair. A teacher's job is that, to teach. The assignments that they give are given for a purpose. I'm almost 40 and can remember project after project and so much homework that I wanted to scream! I also remember my mother on my butt to finish it all because it was given for a reason. I can remember spending study halls and then all night long doing work even in elementary school.

I also remember the way I felt when I made a 29 on the ACT and got college scholarships.

I'm sorry homework is given for a reason, projects are given for a reason and parents need to support the teachers as they are doing it for OUR KIDS and their FUTURE.

Now if a teacher is picking on our child or something blatant like that then yes we need to step in but with homework I think we need to look at the big picture and shut up and let the kids spend the time doing it.

Oh, my son's school has an excellent program. They have NO HOMEWORK on the weekends. He spends hours on the week nights doing homework but knows that come the weekend he's free.

Again my opinion.

I asked the question why they weren't doing it at school so the teacher can make sure the kids are learning what she wants them to learn. Read it again. And again. Until you take YOUR words out of MY mouth.

Sorry that you're so caught up in the moment.

And you think I'm bullying people?

Anyway ... maybe the teacher isn't having the kids do things (ie: planting the seeds) at school b/c they don't need to learn that part?

First graders aren't.

I completely disagree with this. One of my fondest memories is of my son's first grade reading project. He read one of the Clifford the Big Red Dog books and drew pictures of Clifford and then made a red dog with play doh. It was the cutest thing ever. Of course the play doh thing looked like a big red blob with a tail but it was his work. Teachers aren't looking for perfection, just creativity at that age.

Ahhh ... but who creates the "ridiculous assignment"?

Here's a thought (and it's global, not directed at you, I quoted your comment to illustrate my point)...most problems are created by miscommunications. Everything we say is run through the personal filter of the person receiving it and their own biases and beliefs are going to color their response. So why not increase the communication of the WHY for some of these things.

If you tell me that you need me to plant seeds with my kid...rather than just sending home a sheet of paper with the requirements of the project (which is how you usually get it) include a summary statement of the applications of the project. Talk about the companion lessons for the project you will be covering to accompany what I'm doing at home. Give me teaching points I can include in my day to day interactions....make it a partnership. If you can give me a good reason why I have to buy 12 different packets of seeds, I'm less likely to get annoyed by it.

:)

All of this said, I truly do hold love and respect for teachers in general. I have had many who have made tremendous positive impacts in my life.

I once had a college teacher meet me for lunch on HER DAY OFF, paid for my lunch, and taught me something about math, that I absolutely needed to get a handle on.

And you think I'm bullying people?

Anyway ... maybe the teacher isn't having the kids do things (ie: planting the seeds) at school b/c they don't need to learn that part?

They took my post and said it meant something when it clearly didn't. Should I allow them to put words in my mouth, or should I correct them?

As far as not planting at school -- I really don't have a problem with that. I will say again that it was poorly organized because what is that teacher going to do with 240 plants in her classroom??

I didn't question what they'd learn. Read it again. I asked the question why they weren't doing it at school so the teacher can make sure the kids are learning what she wants them to learn. Read it again. And again. Until you take YOUR words out of MY mouth.

Sorry that you're so caught up in the moment.

Not to worry, Daxx. My words stand. I can take a big mouthed comment easily. This person doesn't know what the teacher's intent is and assumes because it's not what he/she thinks it should be, it's invalid.

It's a shame that an explanation as to why a point was made should result in such anger.

Not to worry, Daxx. My words stand. I can take a big mouthed comment easily. This person doesn't know what the teacher's intent is and assumes because it's not what he/she thinks it should be, it's invalid.

It's a shame that an explanation as to why a point was made should result in such anger.

You are right. I don't know what the teachers intention with 240 plants is.

Do you?

what is that teacher going to do with 240 plants in her classroom??

She'll prob. sell them at the local Farmer's market once they bloom and make a killing! Or she's going to landscape her yard with them.

OK - if you couldn't guess, those were jokes. However, wouldn't that be a great idea for a fundraiser for the class -- selling the flowers? Papa Deuce ... I think you're gonna need to find out what they're going to do w/all those plants!!!!

She'll prob. sell them at the local Farmer's market once they bloom and make a killing! Or she's going to landscape her yard with them.

OK - if you couldn't guess, those were jokes. However, wouldn't that be a great idea for a fundraiser for the class -- selling the flowers? Papa Deuce ... I think you're gonna need to find out what they're going to do w/all those plants!!!!

No idea, but I think they are just sending them home.

Maybe they're going to start a garden at school. Maybe she's going to donate any food bearing plants to a shelter. Maybe, if the OP cares so much about what the point is, he should call the teacher and *ask*. That goes for anyone else who either doesn't understand or feels they don't have enough information. I rarely hear a teacher complain when a parent asks to be more involved and have a better understanding.

Disclaimer: I do not post on any clique threads with anyone on any side of this debate. I don't know the teaching or parenting habits of anyone on this thread. Thank you.

Lord help up but maybe she was going to suggest the kids then take them home and plant their own little gardens to see how they turn out. Of course that would mean more unnecessary work even though the kid's would enjoy it.

As I think I already indicated, she probably will have the children make comparisons at home concerning size of plants, shape of leaves and whether some plants like a lot of water, a little bit of water, sunlight, etc. Some plants won't grow.

If the teacher is smart, she'll construct a grid and ask the kids to observe over time what they see for each plant.

They may never even bring the plants to school. Or they may only bring the largest plant. Or the one with the biggest leaf.

This may be a badly thought out plan but it may not be. We don't know what is next. The OP hasn't told us and he, himself, may not know.

Folks, I have to head out...I have my hour and a half commute home now. I went back and read and some of my comments were pretty strongly worded. Hope I didn't offend. :flower3: If I did here's a flower...so there are only 239 left Shore.

PD...I understand the note.

Daxx...I understand your frustrations as a teacher

To all, if we could just talk more about these things, maybe we could have less of this knock down drag out.

Here's wishing a wonderful weekend to all of you. Go spend some fun time with your kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter