1st graders homework.... spend $24??? are you kidding me?

Ok, so why is everyone bashing on Lara?

She never once said what she "expected" teachers to do in the 7 hours they have with her child.

And if you were Lara's kids teacher, you'd never accuse her of not bonding with her kids like in so many other situations you see.

There are so many other people that have said the project is silly, too expensive, whatever, yet everyone is picking whatever Lara says to pieces.

I guess the bully mentality doesn't just go for kids in elementary school these days, does it?

forget it

As far as supplies for the teachers, I notice what they are asking us is getting out of hand. It used to be they asked for tissues and plastic baggies and the like. Now the requests are for extra crayons, dry erase markers BATTERIES for the calculators! Antibacterial lotion (hello? what is wrong with the soap at the sinks?) Also, the middle school request are ridiculous. They don't just have 30 kids in a class, they have 30 times 7 class periods ,and they still ask each kid to bring in tissues? I don't think they need THAT many.

We even had a teacher that said at Christmas time "You don't have to give me a Christmas gift, BUT if you are thinking of giving me one, I really like gift certificates to Starbucks" My kid wsn't even planning on giving that teacher a gift, but then felt obigated, as other were doing it.:sad2:

I am editing this b/c someone thinks I'm picking on Lara ... note the new bolded comments
Lara - Do you think you're the ONLY one who is in that position?? My gosh ... 90% of all parents are in the same boat as you! If it's that taxing on you, you can always make that request and I'd be happy to fill it if I knew you were doing something w/your kid towards their education. You GENERIC YOU expect us to do so much in the 7 hours we have your children. Do you GENERIC YOUrealize how much I have to fit into that 7 hours? You GENERIC YOU can't spare a little time to put towards your child's education?

GENERIC YOU USED HERE All projects we give out have to be age appropriate, educational and tie into curriculum. Again, we're always having to deflect parents criticizing and need to show that the project is "worthwhile" and capable of being done by that age group. It's parents who think their kid's project has to be the best, so they spend THEIR time doing the project so Johnny's project will look spectacular! My parents NEVER helped me on projects. Back then, we did them and there wasn't this parental competition over whose project was the best. Now, that's all you get. You look at Billy's project and you know he did it b/c it looks like a 10 yo did it. You look at Johnny's project and it'd win an award in an art show b/c mommy and daddy did it. What a freaking joke!
I don't know what grade your kids are in ... but believe me, the projects get much more involved the older they get.

GENERIC YOU USED HERE Why don't I just take your kid home w/me? Then he can plant the seeds on my time b/c I have no issues w/that ... at least he'd learn something other than mommy did it for me. OK -- sorry ... but it just irked me b/c we're all busy ... and nobody has the time ... but really ... it sucks that time is so precious to all of us and we don't ever have enough of it. But, really, we don't give out these projects to torment parents. We want our kids to bond w/their parents and share in education b/c we see so much of that NOT happening in the home.

Why don't I just take your kid home w/me? Then he can plant the seeds on my time b/c I have no issues w/that ... at least he'd learn something other than mommy did it for me. OK -- sorry ... but it just irked me b/c we're all busy ... and nobody has the time ... but really ... it sucks that time is so precious to all of us and we don't ever have enough of it. But, really, we don't give out these projects to torment parents. We want our kids to bond w/their parents and share in education b/c we see so much of that NOT happening in the home.

Judge much?? Seriously, you think that she is not bonding with her kids because she thinks that project is poorly planned and busy work? Wow! Did you read that she has 20 minutes with her kids before they go to bed? Why does she have to fill it with something that you deem as bonding? Why can't she just play with her kids? Why can't she just read a bed time story? I guess I just don't understand.

Change all the generic you's you want, you quoted Lara multiple times, and it's obvious that you were picking on her specifically.

Some things are completely transparent.

Judge much?? Seriously, you think that she is not bonding with her kids because she thinks that project is poorly planned and busy work? Wow! Did you read that she has 20 minutes with her kids before they go to bed? Why does she have to fill it with something that you deem as bonding? Why can't she just play with her kids? Why can't she just read a bed time story? I guess I just don't understand.

Did you read the post? And, did you read where I ammended the post so it didn't reflect like it was all to Lara? Did you see that was one of the sections that you was the "Generic You"? That was in no way directed to Lara. Why don't you read posts above yours where things are explained before you get nasty w/me?! Did you ever see the part that said SORRY!!?!??! None of that was directed at Lara ... it was directed to the "Generic You". Get a freaking grip.

We even had a teacher that said at Christmas time "You don't have to give me a Christmas gift, BUT if you are thinking of giving me one, I really like gift certificates to Starbucks" My kid wsn't even planning on giving that teacher a gift, but then felt obigated, as other were doing it.:sad2:

That was WAY out of line!!!! I can't believe any teacher would even say that!!!!!

As far as extra crayons, I can see that because crayons break and are used like crazy. I work in a science center and I can't tell you how many crayons we can go through in just one 30 minute class! :)

Change all the generic you's you want, you quoted Lara multiple times, and it's obvious that you were picking on her specifically.

Again ... you think what you want. I clarified. No matter whose posts I quote, it doesn't mean I'm speaking directly to that person. Again, did you not see the part that said "SORRY"?????

I see you edited the post where you said you were picking on her because she expected the teacher to do everything at school. And that she expected the teacher to supply everything. Which, of course, was putting words in her mouth.

So, first you admit you were picking on her, and then you edit to say it's a generic "you" that you were talking about?

Did you read the post? And, did you read where I ammended the post so it didn't reflect like it was all to Lara? Did you see that was one of the sections that you was the "Generic You"? That was in no way directed to Lara. Why don't you read posts above yours where things are explained before you get nasty w/me?! Did you ever see the part that said SORRY!!?!??! None of that was directed at Lara ... it was directed to the "Generic You". Get a freaking grip.

I know I don't have a 6K post count and my opinion means little here but normally when you quote someone and then reply directly under said quote it means you are talking to the person quoted...like I just did. Well that's how it worked on the 2 boards I was a mod on.:confused3

Why don't I just take your kid home w/me? Then he can plant the seeds on my time b/c I have no issues w/that ... at least he'd learn something other than mommy did it for me. OK -- sorry ... but it just irked me b/c we're all busy ... and nobody has the time ... but really ... it sucks that time is so precious to all of us and we don't ever have enough of it. But, really, we don't give out these projects to torment parents. We want our kids to bond w/their parents and share in education b/c we see so much of that NOT happening in the home.

Wow. Pretty big assumption there as to what is going on in the home. Why does a teacher get to decide HOW a child and their parents should bond? My dd and I spent plenty of time doing things we enjoyed together--reading, crafts, cooking. I do not believe we ever planted anything together--she's 17 now and seems to be doing okay with that huge lapse in her education.

DD had one teacher in 4th grade who thought it was a fabulous idea to send enormous projects home to do over every school break. Christmas, Spring Break, Valentine's day--projects that had 7 or 8 components. When I had the gall to question her about it, she told me that she didn't think parents were spending enough time with their kids.

Well, hello, I was divorced. DD spent every other holiday with her dad. And he sure as heck didn't want to waste that time working on a school project that was, frankly, just ridiculous.

Anyway, my point is that teachers should not be foisting a project onto a child just to get what they consider to be bonding time in. A lot of parents do work and would prefer to NOT have to schedule every moment of time with a child with busy work but instead spend time enjoying some FREE time with their kids.

Some of you have asked why do the project at all. The simple explanation is called teaching to multiple intelligences. Children all learn differently. Some can very easily listen, take notes, and learn. Others must have a hands-on activity to help them absorb and understand the lesson. All will benefit by doing a hands on activity at such a young age. The teacher may be teaching health and/or science with this lesson. She may also link it to history and the origins of the nation. And if she is reading a story to them that involves farming or plants, she can relate this project to it.

Chances are the teacher will have the students observe their plants and describe how they look. The students will explain the different shaped leaves and their size. Students may be asked which grew the quickest. Some will not grow at all. It's all about the experience of learning about, not hearing about, a subject.

I don't find you rude or snarky. But I don't see how comparing private school to public is fair. Or how to compare your child's participation in extra curricular activities against a first graders mandatory homework.

I have only talked to two other parents. One is rather ambivalent. The other is FAR MORE upset than I am. He went and complained to the principal already and has mentioned possibly going to school board meetings. Like me, he is REALLY twisted about the begging for funds for a playground, but much more so.

My wife is homeroom captain and even said something to her at the beginning of the year about all the complaints she ( my wife ) was getting about getting nickled and dimed.

Based on the responses she has had from other parents, she will no longer be homeroom captain after this year.

Can't you just split the cost with the other two parents? If you have 2 kids, that's only $12 per project if you keep it in the family. You can get it down to $6 per kid if you team with these other two parents. I don't think $6 is unreasonable for a 1st grade project, even with twins.

I would probably call a few other parents and see if they want to split the cost as well.

Instead of complaining to other parents, I would look to them for a solution.

Some of you have asked why do the project at all. The simple explanation is called teaching to multiple intelligences. Children all learn differently. Some can very easily listen, take notes, and learn. Others must have a hands-on activity to help them absorb and understand the lesson. All will benefit by doing a hands on activity at such a young age. The teacher may be teaching health and/or science with this lesson. She may also link it to history and the origins of the nation. And if she is reading a story to them that involves farming or plants, she can relate this project to it.

Chances are the teacher will have the students observe their plants and describe how they look. The students will explain the different shaped leaves and their size. Students may be asked which grew the quickest. Some will not grow at all. It's all about the experience of learning about, not hearing about, a subject.

We never questioned what the kids would learn.

We just questioned why the teacher would need 240 plants to teach it to the kids.

Yeah, see that comment was below the belt and pissed me off pretty good. You quoted me and directed the comment as "you". I know you went back and edited...but it was directed at me just the same.

However, all I will respond is that this mommy teaches her kids plenty and we'll leave it at that. I have learned through my life to be the bigger person sometimes...and important lesson I'm teaching my kid.

I sense that Daxx stumbled into a bees nest of a little community board clique. Anyone that has seen Daxx's posts in the past would know that she was just taking up for teachers in general and not jumping on Lara specifically. Daxx usually sounds passionate in her posts, (I picture her as a loud talker that is contantly laughing, with a dry sense of sarcastic tinged humor) but it seems as you are reading her posts as argumentative.

I can understand where Daxx is coming from though. It can get frustrating for teachers because sometimes parents forget that teachers are parents too and don't have very much time with their children either. I can't tell you how many times my dad has been doing school work late into the evening and goes to bed without even spending any quality time with his family.

When threads like this start, it usually turns into teacher bashing regardless of what the OP's subject matter. I think that maybe why Daxx gets so defensive because she's a teacher (and from what I've read a very good teacher). :thumbsup2

Just my opinion though. :)

I think I have a pretty good grip. You said that you don't see bonding happening at home so you assign that kind of stuff. You said that 90% of parents are in the same boat as Lara.

My question to you, is why you feel it is your job to assign family time for them? I think if parents are stretched for time orchestrating bonding time with them under the cover of homework just creates more problems. YMMV

I know I don't have a 6K post count and my opinion means little here but normally when you quote someone and then reply directly under said quote it means you are talking to the person quoted...like I just did. Well that's how it worked on the 2 boards I was a mod on.:confused3
So we always post to people and never in regard to ideas? Is that what you're telling me? B/c right now, I'm not posting to you directly but to the idea that we can only post about people and not about ideas. Go figure. I think I just posted about an idea and not about the person who wrote that idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter