• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st Family Trip to Orlando

rowellad

Earning My Ears
We will be taking out first family trip to DW and US in November and would love input. The trip will also be a celebration of our 15th wedding anniversary. We will be traveling with our 2 boys (14 and 8). I know, I still can't believe that I have deprived them of Disney for this long. I have been 9 time but my last trip was in 1998. Hubby has only been once and that was in 1987. Any suggestions for must do items at all parks would be great! Also, input on how and where we should celebrate the anniversary!

I think your children are at the perfect ages to go to Disney. You will have soooo much fun. The best way to get the most out of Disney is to "know" Disney. A great book is "The Unofficial Guidebook to Disney." It is huge, but don't let that put you off. It is organized by park and easy to read.

All of the rides and attractions are given a rating. I think it's spot on. Ask the boys to read the book too, and circle/mark the rides they want to go on. Have them look at the ratings.

Use of Fast Passes will save you much time. Be sure you understand how they work.

Pack light. Really think about the amount of weight you want to lug around the park.

We think a sit down lunch, in air conditioning, can save your sanity.

Rope drop really is important. The lines are soooo much shorter.

Gauge the exhaustion of your family at regular intervals. Stop, sit down, and have something to drink. Re-group.

Have a plan. It does not mean you have to stick to it. Figure out your top 3 attractions before getting to the park. I actually number the order of what we will do. Again, you don't have to stick to this. You can change and jump in to a line that looks like fun. (Some folks will say planning is not a vacation. I say standing in the middle of the walk way trying to figure out what to do next is not a vacation.)

A few nights of your stay don't make dinner reservations. Just order a pizza and hang out by the pool. Having to get to dinner reservations every night, when all you want to do is stay in your bathing suit can get annoying.

You don't have to do fire works every night.

Sleep in one morning. (I know this goes against get there at rope drop.)

Really read that guide book before going to Epcot. It is hard to see what is around you, and you can miss some great attractions.

Jill in Chicago said:
I think your children are at the perfect ages to go to Disney. You will have soooo much fun. The best way to get the most out of Disney is to "know" Disney. A great book is "The Unofficial Guidebook to Disney." It is huge, but don't let that put you off. It is organized by park and easy to read.

All of the rides and attractions are given a rating. I think it's spot on. Ask the boys to read the book too, and circle/mark the rides they want to go on. Have them look at the ratings.

Use of Fast Passes will save you much time. Be sure you understand how they work.

Pack light. Really think about the amount of weight you want to lug around the park.

We think a sit down lunch, in air conditioning, can save your sanity.

Rope drop really is important. The lines are soooo much shorter.

Gauge the exhaustion of your family at regular intervals. Stop, sit down, and have something to drink. Re-group.

Have a plan. It does not mean you have to stick to it. Figure out your top 3 attractions before getting to the park. I actually number the order of what we will do. Again, you don't have to stick to this. You can change and jump in to a line that looks like fun. (Some folks will say planning is not a vacation. I say standing in the middle of the walk way trying to figure out what to do next is not a vacation.)

A few nights of your stay don't make dinner reservations. Just order a pizza and hang out by the pool. Having to get to dinner reservations every night, when all you want to do is stay in your bathing suit can get annoying.

You don't have to do fire works every night.

Sleep in one morning. (I know this goes against get there at rope drop.)

Really read that guide book before going to Epcot. It is hard to see what is around you, and you can miss some great attractions.

Thanks for the information. I will look into the book!

Rope drop maynot be that important. You are going in Nov. crowds may not be an issue. See if you can find a crowd cound calander. It can give you an estimate. IF you are staying on site, you have the Extra Magic Hours.

See what your Disney style is. Are you a laid back family? Gotta see/do everything? Give yourself some flexibility. Talk with the family and see what they want to do.

Look up the Parks and see which Parks appeal to you. You might be able to skip some of them. My family is all about the rides. Your family might like the shows.

As to celebrate 15th, a quiet dinner at one of the restraunts.

Great advice given, I think! Scince this is the first time, the only thing you need do is commit together that you will have a good time, understanding what that "good time" definition means to each of your family, then plan read and prepare, and once there, and when the first thing anti-all-your-expectations pops up, decide together again that you are going to have that good time, be flexible, compromise, and do it......

I, too, think older is better than younger, when you must choose. And even for 14 year olds, exhaustion can come not in tiredness, but in stimulation overload or crashed expectations. No sustained perfect happiness, even in the happiest place. So be free from the pressure for a perfect plan.

As you get more specific with your family needs and desires, we'll all be here, willing to chip in! Welcome on the road to the happiest, expensive, magical, crazy place on earth!

I second the recommendation of the Unofficial Guide to WDW book - it's a great source!

Your kids are older, so let them help with the planning (read up on meals for which ADRs, watch ride clips on YouTube, etc.) and just go with the flow and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter