• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st dissapointment i hope the last

jockotaco

Mouseketeer
Tminus 69 days until we leave and when I got on line to book excursions I found that a number are already sold out. As an avid cruiser I have never seen this happen. We did find alternatives just extremely surprised. Being that it is my first on Disney I'm curious is this normal? And do they have a way to wait list?

Tminus 69 days until we leave and when I got on line to book excursions I found that a number are already sold out. As an avid cruiser I have never seen this happen. We did find alternatives just extremely surprised. Being that it is my first on Disney I'm curious is this normal? And do they have a way to wait list?

It's not really unusual that the popular excursions will sell out before the first-time cruisers window opens. That's one reason there are alternative selections.

Keep checking all the way up until you leave for your cruise. Since the excursions are not added to people's onboard account until 3 days prior to cruise, there may (and have been) cancellations.

Also, once onboard, go to the Port Excursions desk and ask to put on a waiting list. Most excursions have one, and people do cancel at the last minute, occasionally.

I am a first time cruiser with DCL and am so excited to go. Only downfall is that the first timers don't really get any perks. Thought they would give us some. But.....that being said when I book my other cruises with them it will be better!

The problem is that you didn't sign in to do this until 6 days after the first-time cruiser window had opened at 75 days, so it isn't just that all previous cruisers had already had the chance to book but every new cruiser also had the opportunity. You can either watch daily for cancellations or book through a private vender independently to get the excursions you would like to take. People also have to cancel onboard due to becoming ill during the cruise, so if you have signed up for the waitlist they may contact you up to the last minute.

Also, once onboard, go to the Port Excursions desk and ask to put on a waiting list. Most excursions have one, and people do cancel at the last minute, occasionally.

Yes! :thumbsup2 We cancelled an excursion for 2 people once on embarking. My mom was not comfortable and wanted to enjoy the ship instead. My DD13 and I kept our tickets.

we cruised first time last year, and booked somewhat last minute... we found that the inventory on excursions changed regularly... people book and hold excursions then change their minds... about a month out we were able to get what we could not book at 2 months out! so, keep trying!

Oh no, I can start booking in two weeks and I've been worried about this. Are there some excursions that book quicker than others? We are hoping for the blue lagoon dolphin encounter at Nassau - does anyone know if this is one to book fast?

On our last cruise I had booked Parasailing for two in our party 125 days out. then my son also wanted to do it but was sold out online as he was also a 1st time cruiser. when we boarder I went to the desk and asked if there was opening and was told no again. Asked about waitling and they said I could but chances were not good as they had 9 others waitlisted. Well he had a message in his stateroom two days later that he could go. You can always waitlist, and see what happens.

Oh no, I can start booking in two weeks and I've been worried about this. Are there some excursions that book quicker than others? We are hoping for the blue lagoon dolphin encounter at Nassau - does anyone know if this is one to book fast?

We just cruised on the Dream 2 weeks ago and we were able to book the dolphin swim around 30 days before we departed.
FWIW - it was the best excursion we have ever done.

I am a first time cruiser with DCL and am so excited to go. Only downfall is that the first timers don't really get any perks. Thought they would give us some. But.....that being said when I book my other cruises with them it will be better!
The perks are an incentive to become a repeat cruiser. Everyone starts as a first timer.

Woody

So you reserve the excursions but don't have to pay for them until on the ship?

Yes, the cost of excursions is added to your onboard account, so you do not need to pay at the time of booking, and can make changes (up to 3 days before boarding) with no penalty. This is also true for dining reservations, spa treatments, and other advance bookings. You may be able to cancel even later -- the policy is given when you book.

Yes, the cost of excursions is added to your onboard account, so you do not need to pay at the time of booking, and can make changes (up to 3 days before boarding) with no penalty. This is also true for dining reservations, spa treatments, and other advance bookings. You may be able to cancel even later -- the policy is given when you book.

That is one thing DCL does well. We're cruising on another line (gasp, I know!) soon and when we booked a shore excursion months ago we had to pay for it immediately to confirm it. pffft. We have a hefty onboard credit (which is why we booked with this other line) but can't use that credit for the shore excursion.

While we're not booking anything, we are two months out from our Dream cruise and in terms of port activities, the ONLY thing greyed out is the cabanas. Everything else is available - and we're cruising in July!

Of course now I'm worried maybe we should book the chocolate thing we had talked about in Nassau. Maybe no one is planning to get off the ship!

That is one thing DCL does well. We're cruising on another line (gasp, I know!) soon and when we booked a shore excursion months ago we had to pay for it immediately to confirm it. pffft. We have a hefty onboard credit (which is why we booked with this other line) but can't use that credit for the shore excursion.
Well, I'm not sure if one method is better -- they're just different.

In my experience, on DCL I've had to stay up until midnight to book activities, and after a few minutes some were already full!?! Sure, one doesn't have to pay for them up front, but it was really frustrating when activities were full. I think some guests book activities they're mildly interested in, then decide later. That's easy to do if one doesn't have to pay up front and there's no downside to doing so.

On most other cruise lines I've sailed, one can book an activity at any time (often often final payment). There, I've always been able to get exactly what I wanted, though I had to pay at the time of booking. This method makes one think seriously about booking activities.

IMO, both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. One method: wait until midnight, book everything (if available), decide later, pay later. Another method: book anytime after final payment, get exactly what you want, but pay upfront.

Woody

Are there some excursions that book quicker than others? We are hoping for the blue lagoon dolphin encounter at Nassau - does anyone know if this is one to book fast?

Any excursion with an animal involved tends to fill up quickly.

The perks are an incentive to become a repeat cruiser. Everyone starts as a first timer.

Exactly, and it wasn't until our 6th cruise that there were even an perks in place for anyone other than concierge.

Our first cruise and just booked with disappointment too. We booked at midnight at the first available day we could. We had our first, second, and third choices ready. We only got one of the 6 excursions we wanted even with having third choices! We were really bummed. I went back online every day, usually checking twice a day. Within two weeks I've now gotten every one of our first choices except for one. We are going on a 12 night med with Greece. Keep checking!

I panicked too when we girls decided to do the Sea Lion encounter there. I called a lot of tours outside of Disney and no one had anything available. This was only with 2 weeks prior to the trip! (because we booked the cruise 3 weeks out and had to figure out what to do for a week.) As a last resort, I decided to see if I could book it with Disney (because I couldn't with anyone else) and wala! We got x 3! And we were the first encounter of the day. Also one of the best excursions I've ever done, and I loved the island. I would go back and book the Dolphin encounter. It's great, we watched a bunch. Those people had the times of their lives, just like we did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter