1st Disney World Trip- Planning

gundo870

Mouseketeer
Hello Folks.

I am trying to plan our first Disney World trip and I am excited. We have been long time Disneyland Annual Passholders and ready to visit the younger BIGGER brother DW. Travelling will be myself and my 2 DS (7 and 4 at time of travel) for a week or a week plus a few days.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences (crowds and weather/humidity) for early of June or early of December? The June trip will be right after the school year (06/15) or the holiday season (my fav).

Also, with regards to booking... I wanted to save money and stay at a value like AoA or Pop and finish the trip (3 nights) at the AKL savanna view. what is the best way to book?

I don't think we will spend every day at the parks. I would still like to take the DS's to the Kennedy Space Center and a few other places. I might need to rent a car for a couple of days too.

Thanks in advance for any input and this vacation is a long time coming!

I can't answer all your questions but as for time I'd say early December. The weather will be cooler and I think the first week of December is generally less crowded. Google best weeks to visit disney. There is a website that ranks each week of the year. You could also do the Christmas party then and the parks will be decorated for Christmas.

If I were given the choice between the week of June 15th or the 1st week of December, December would win!

I've visited WDW during the 1st week of June on a number of occasions without issue. The weather was consistently fantastic (hot but not as humid as the latter part of summer and a rain shower here and there). The crowds were very manageable but as our trips were winding down and the dates were climbing towards double digits the increase in the crowds was noticeable. A lot of schools don't let out for the summer until the 2nd week of June and because of that, people are going to choose that time to book their vacation.

The 1st week of December, on the other hand, is one of my absolute favorite times to go. The weather is a bit schizophrenic but I can handle that. We typically see temps in the 70's with much, much cooler nights. The crowds are almost non-existent. The Thanksgiving crowds have gone back home and the holiday crowds have yet to arrive. The parks and resorts are beautifully decorated and MVMCP has a fantastic parade and fireworks show. It is truly a great time to visit.

Keep in mind that free dining is often not offered during that week of December because of Pop Warner, an athletic event. As for booking, I'd go straight through Disney and keep an eye peeled for a room discount (typically 15% at value, 20%-30% at deluxe).

I can't answer all your questions but...

Thanks. My thing is I prefer less crowds and humidity and I do love the holiday season at the parks.

If I were given the choice between the week of June 15th or the 1st week of December, December would win!

My first preference would be when the parks are decorated for the holidays, but also thought since school is out for my DS's earleir I might squeeze the trip in right at the begining of summer vacation.

Good to hear about the crowds in December, same is out here at DL. Free food isn't a big deal but a room discount would be nice. Maybe get to squeeze another night at a deluxe!

Hello Folks.
I don't think we will spend every day at the parks. I would still like to take the DS's to the Kennedy Space Center and a few other places. I might need to rent a car for a couple of days too.

I can't answer your question about time - we go in January to avoid crowds. But, I can tell you that for sure if you want to do KSC in addition to Disney, you will need to plan a full day there and have a rental car. We took our kids to KSC on our trip, and they loved is - especially DS8. But, it is about an hour drive (with traffic) from WDW, and even with a full day, you won't see all of it. The tour to the Saturn V center is very cool (and included with admission), so don't miss that! You can check out my TR in my sig. I'm just getting ready to add the KSC part of our trip!:goodvibes

We also stayed at AoA, and all of our kids loved it. We will go back there next time. Although, with just 3 of you (assuming I'm reading right), you might not want to do a suite and the only standard rooms are Little Mermaid. My boys wouldn't have been as happy with those (just because of theme), just something to think about! Other boys probably don't care as much as mine.

I can't answer your question about time - we go in January to avoid crowds. But, I can tell you that for sure if you want to do KSC in addition to Disney, you will need to plan a full day there and have a rental car.

Good to know that a full day at KSC not enough. I better plan to get there early when they open. The 1 hour drivewith traffic isn't bad...Living in the Los Angeles area that is pretty quick. Unless I get lost which isn't unheard of!

OK, I was trying to decide between a suite and a regular room at the AoA and yes it is just the 3 of us travelling.

Hello Folks.

I am trying to plan our first Disney World trip and I am excited. We have been long time Disneyland Annual Passholders and ready to visit the younger BIGGER brother DW. Travelling will be myself and my 2 DS (7 and 4 at time of travel) for a week or a week plus a few days.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences (crowds and weather/humidity) for early of June or early of December? The June trip will be right after the school year (06/15) or the holiday season (my fav). My sister has been in early-mid June and thought the crowds were big, but manageable. The big tour groups should not be there then, they tend to come to WDW in the later part of June, all of July and the 1st of Aug.

Also, with regards to booking... I wanted to save money and stay at a value like AoA or Pop and finish the trip (3 nights) at the AKL savanna view. what is the best way to book? I would save AKL savanna view for the end of the trip. What a fabulous way to end a great stay. AoA would be a good start, the rooms are new, I hear good things about the food court and pool. AKL is one of our favorite resorts, if you start there you might not want to leave ::yes::

I don't think we will spend every day at the parks. I would still like to take the DS's to the Kennedy Space Center and a few other places. I might need to rent a car for a couple of days too. We rented a car from both the Car Care Center with National, by MK and the other National Desk as the Swan. Both were very convenient and quick. Renting on property and then returning to the airport saved us a bunch of money instead of having to rent the entire trip at WDW. We use WDW transportation if at all possible. AKL has great transportation, even though it is more isolated. AKL only shares a bus with Jambo and Kiandi.

Thanks in advance for any input and this vacation is a long time coming!

Congrats on the trip! Hope you have a wonderful time :banana:

Good to know that a full day at KSC not enough. I better plan to get there early when they open. The 1 hour drivewith traffic isn't bad...Living in the Los Angeles area that is pretty quick. Unless I get lost which isn't unheard of!

We did one full day - got there right at open, and left at close. We didn't see everything, and didn't use the admission to the Hall of Fame that came with admission. It was worth the trip, though!! As for getting lost...uh, yeah. I can tell you from experience, the gate attendant at the restricted area is very friendly and will get you turned around the right way. :rotfl2:

OK, I was trying to decide between a suite and a regular room at the AoA and yes it is just the 3 of us travelling.

Wanted to add - the suites are fabulous if you do go that route! It's more expensive and you probably don't need the extra room for just 3, but if you aren't worried about the cost, do it. We did LK and the kids have already said we are staying in Cars next. I'm not sure we'll ever get to try another resort!

Congrats on the trip! Hope you have a wonderful time :banana:

Thank you!

I know I wouln't want to start staying at the AKL first and then a value. I have always wanted to wake up to the savanna and know my boys will love seeing the animals! I also want to set up my camera and do 24 hr time laps video.

The planning continues...

We did one full day - got there right at open, and left at close...

I guess one can't get too lost with ocean on 3 sides and a huge secure area at the cape.

Wanted to add - the suites are fabulous if you do go that route! It's more expensive and you probably don't need the extra room for just 3, but if you aren't worried about the cost, do it. We did LK and the kids have already said we are staying in Cars next. I'm not sure we'll ever get to try another resort!

The Cars suite is what I was looking at, I didn't think the DS's would enjoy the Little Mermaid too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter