1st Disney Solo trip

cricketgirl

I've waited my whole life for this!
Hi, I'm getting ready to take my first Disney Solo trip. I have been 4 times prior with my Husband, and/or Niece and Nephew. I am pretty excited but everyone I know thinks I am crazy. Are they right? I can't wait to be able to stroll around and take as many pictures as I want without worrying about anyone else. I eat out alot here by myself so why would Disney be any different. I am thinking Animal Kingdom Lodge. I would love to get some great animal shots. I could stay a little cheaper at All Star Movies but hey why not splurge on myself?
Is there anything you would suggest I do as a solo traveler? Any suggestions on resturants? Character Dining?

I am planning on going Jan 23 thru 29. Is that a good time to go solo? I went last year with my niece and nephew at this time and it was great.

Anything you can help me with would be great.
Thanks,
Lori

1: Everyone you know is wrong. 2: You are not crazy. ;)

I loved my first solo trip so much, I'm doing another one. And, yeah, I splurged on the Beach Club, so if AKL is your dream resort, go for it. I don't eat out alone a lot, but had great solo dining experiences at WDW (Via Napoli, Les Chefs, Flying Fish). Next trip, I'm dining for the first time at Artist Point (for the salmon) and Raglan Road (for the bread pudding).

One of the fun things about going solo, in addition to taking all the photos you want, is stopping to enjoy some of the entertainment (I accidentally discovered the Main Street Philharmonic at MK and British Revolution at Epcot). If you've never done the Animation Academy class at DHS, try it. You'll learn to draw a Disney character, and it's a lot of fun.

Hi Cricketgirl......right near you (Houston area too)
I went on my first solo last year and LOVED it! Stayed at WL. An awesome resort. I just booked another solo trip today. This time I'm trying BC.....Always wanted to stay there. My trip is planned Jan 13 - 19

Hi Cricketgirl......right near you (Houston area too)
I went on my first solo last year and LOVED it! Stayed at WL. An awesome resort. I just booked another solo trip today. This time I'm trying BC.....Always wanted to stay there. My trip is planned Jan 13 - 19

I had actually looked at that time but was told the marathon would be a problem. Actually planned these dates so my son could go but now he can't so I'm going solo and really looking forward to it. I'm actually on Lake Conroe now. Moved in March.

1: Everyone you know is wrong. 2: You are not crazy. ;)

I loved my first solo trip so much, I'm doing another one. And, yeah, I splurged on the Beach Club, so if AKL is your dream resort, go for it. I don't eat out alone a lot, but had great solo dining experiences at WDW (Via Napoli, Les Chefs, Flying Fish). Next trip, I'm dining for the first time at Artist Point (for the salmon) and Raglan Road (for the bread pudding).

One of the fun things about going solo, in addition to taking all the photos you want, is stopping to enjoy some of the entertainment (I accidentally discovered the Main Street Philharmonic at MK and British Revolution at Epcot). If you've never done the Animation Academy class at DHS, try it. You'll learn to draw a Disney character, and it's a lot of fun.

I loved Animation Academy. I think I have done about 8 now. Will definately do it again. I want to explore all the little things without the pressure of entertaining everyone or worrying about someone waiting on me.
I can't wait!!!

I'm planning my first trip during this time as well. If you have any interest in a meal with someone else, we could plan to meet up. I've never done Disney alone either, but I have gone to Denmarck and Spain alone which we're awesome. Disney can't be much different.

End of January is a great time to go solo. It's pretty much the only time I go anymore. The weather tends to be pretty good, and there's been at least one day out of every trip that's been warm enough for pool or water park.

I haven't had any very awkward solo dining experiences, even at buffets, but I've found that the portions brought at "family style" places (like 'Ohana) aren't adjusted down for a single diner, and so can be a little on the absurd side.

AKL is a fantastic resort. Make sure to take the time to fully explore it and check out all the art and activities.

Don't be afraid to chat with the CMs. They tend to be pretty awesome people with loads of interesting stories.

Have fun with your wandering! The best thing about going solo is that it really can be all about you and whatever you want to do.

I am a little worried about going Jan 13......but, it is the weekend only right?? I come in on Sunday and it should be done or last day. And I will avoid the "marathon park". It is also MLKjr weekend.....so Monday may be a little crowded with the locals
My DH (who is not a disney fan; I know, how can that be??) will be out of the country that week, so I am taking advantage of the week

Cricketgirl.....I am not that far.....Spring area

cricketgirl said:
Hi, I'm getting ready to take my first Disney Solo trip. I have been 4 times prior with my Husband, and/or Niece and Nephew. I am pretty excited but everyone I know thinks I am crazy. Are they right? I can't wait to be able to stroll around and take as many pictures as I want without worrying about anyone else. I eat out alot here by myself so why would Disney be any different. I am thinking Animal Kingdom Lodge. I would love to get some great animal shots. I could stay a little cheaper at All Star Movies but hey why not splurge on myself?
Is there anything you would suggest I do as a solo traveler? Any suggestions on resturants? Character Dining?

I am planning on going Jan 23 thru 29. Is that a good time to go solo? I went last year with my niece and nephew at this time and it was great.

Anything you can help me with would be great.
Thanks,
Lori

It's a terrific week! I go that week every year - I love it. Some of the lowest crowds of the entire year. I'm there at the same time. Crowd levels are 1/2 out of 10 weekdays, 3/4 weekends. I'm getting there the 22nd, which you may want to consider, so you have all day Wednesday the 23rd - lowest crowds of the week. I think that's the day UCTourist is saying crowd level 1. Saturday is crowd level 4/5, which is still not bad.

I'd also suggest (I learned this on previous solo trips), make sure you have plenty planned in a take-it-or-leave-it sort of way. With EMH, going solo, and FPass, it's very easy to burn through a whole park full of rides very quickly. By afternoons last January, I'd ridden all my favorites multiple times, plus others two and three times that I was passing and just said, "Might as well." (Record - BuzzL five times in a row, no wait.)

I found that I accomplished a lot quickly with little waiting. Even meals went at a rather quick pace. I had some slack time most afternoons and evenings. Enjoyed finding a pretty place to sit, a nice beverage and reading for 20 minutes or so. Sometimes entertainment started nearby, so Id check it out. If I had an hour, I picked a deluxe resort and walked around the pool and the lobby.

I am a little worried about going Jan 13......but, it is the weekend only right?? I come in on Sunday and it should be done or last day. And I will avoid the "marathon park". It is also MLKjr weekend.....so Monday may be a little crowded with the locals
My DH (who is not a disney fan; I know, how can that be??) will be out of the country that week, so I am taking advantage of the week

Cricketgirl.....I am not that far.....Spring area

Just moved from the Spring area. We were of 1960 and 45 in Westador.

I'm still trying to figure out resports and go buy my gift cards at HEB today to pay for it. Save $50.00 of $300 makes it even more appealing.

Solo trips are AWESOME! Whatever you want to do, whenever and however you want to do it without having to worry about what someone else wants to do. DH is not as much into Disney as I am, but he fully supports my obsession. I typically take at least 1 solo trip a year now. :thumbsup2

Tours are perfect for solo trips. If you haven't done one yet, I recommend Keys to the Kingdom. I am going to be there the same time in January (23-28) and I am thinking about splurging on the Wild Africa Trek. :cool1:

Animal Kingdom Lodge is my absolute favorite, which is why I purchased my DVC points there. Are you getting a savannah view room? There is something magical being able to drink your morning tea or coffee on your balcony while watching the giraffes. :lovestruc

Personally, I prefer to stick with mostly counter service on my solo trips, though I do go to Sci-Fi Dine-in every trip and sometimes add in one other TS meal.

Take some time during your trip and just people watch. Have a seat on a bench in some shade and just enjoy the atmosphrere. This is one of the greatest things about solo trips. You can really slow down and take everything in.

alot of this you should not go alone - has nothing to do with you. they are afraid if you start liking to go alone - and you will. You won't take them with you anymore....

of course that is me - your family/friends would be completely different.

what I like is if I want to read a book while visiting disney I can do it!!!

not going to the parks every minute is relaxing. you can go if and when you want too. no voting on the matter. You get to see and do what you want.

have food allergies - now Disney definitely tries - but one of my allergies is pepper - so can be in an restaurant for hours. not the way I want my trip to go.

so try to stay at DVC - even my studios have a kitchenett.

that say have enjoyed Cape May Cafe, Kona Cafe, Wave, Whispering Canyon and Artist point -

food courts - Pop was one of the best with my food allergies - the only one that was better was Contempo Cafe.

you will love your solo trip!:yay::dance3::cheer2::cool1:

I took my first solo trip over Thanksgiving, and I loved it! I wanted to see the parks decorated for Christmas, and I knew if I didn't go alone, then it would never happen! I stayed at Pop Century and was barely in my room. I would get up, leave for the day and by the time I returned each night I was exhausted and went to bed! I am SO glad that I went!!:thumbsup2

I'm making my first solo trip in a few weeks. Something I've wanted to do for a few months now, but just booked last week as flights from New England were ridiculously inexpensive.

I booked the EPCOT Segway tour; something I've always wanted to do.

Looking forward to just taking my time in World Showcase.

You will LOVE it! :dance3:

I made my first solo trip last year at Thanksgiving (PoP). The crowds were big, but going solo, you can navigate them. I made my 2nd solo trip last October (ASMu) and went to MNSSHP and again, had the best time!

As everyone else has said, it is relaxing as you are on YOUR schedule to do as you wish! :goofy:

I am planning my 3rd solo trip for what looks like mid April (CSR slurge!) for a full week of relaxation and Disney fun! :jumping2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter