1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

1st day- no park tickets- what to do?

Discussion in 'Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers' started by Jen76b, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jen76b

Jen76b Mouseketeer

My sister and I are going to be in DW at the end of October to celebrate her 40th birthday. We're leaving the husbands and kids at home, so it's just the 2 of us. I'm so excited!! :yay:

We're arriving on Friday, Oct 26th. We should be at our hotel (on property) by 1pm. We have reservations at the House Blues at 7pm. Since we don't have park tickets for our first day, what would be a great way to kick off our vacation?

This will be my 7th visit, but only her 2nd visit (and her 1st time was for business, so she didn't really see much).

I'd love to make this already special visit even more awesome.

Thanks,
    Jen

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Luuvebugg

Luuvebugg Earning My Ears

Walk around resort, they are all so beautiful..go to Downtown DIsney (no tix needed!), grab lunch, maybe a boat ride there, shopping..or make it a pool day.

4. Brocktoon

Brocktoon 21st Century Schizoid Man

I've had a similar situation on arrival day the past few trips. Although we have park tickets, we usually stay out of the parks on arrival day and make dinner reservations at Raglan Road or somewhere else in DTD.

Are there any resorts you'd want to check out during the day and stroll around? Head to DTD Disney early before dinner and check out the Characters in Flight Balloon? Maybe head over to the boardwalk for a few hours?

I think this year I want to check out the new Art of Animation resort for a bit before wandering around DTD, and then on to our Raglan reservations.

5. WDWGeek1971

WDWGeek1971 Mouseketeer

I just got back from a solo trip. I spent a few hours checking out the new Art of Animation resort. It's easy enough to catch a bus to/from DTD since you want to end up there for dinner. It was nice just to walk around and take pictures. There was a lot to see! Nice snack option would be a scoop of gelato at the Landscape of Flavors food court. Give you an excuse to look around there, too.

6. DakotaRose

DakotaRose Mouseketeer

I really enjoyed the boat rides. Used them to explore WL and
    Poly from MK. Also took boat from HS to stroll around Boardwalk and Swan.

7. travelin' tigger

travelin' tigger DIS Veteran

One of the things I'm going to do this trip is a game of mini-golf with my brother. In all the years I have been going to WDW I've never done this!

Enjoy!!! :goodvibes

8. ludari

ludari DIS Veteran

There is plenty to do especially since you are staying on property. You can always go to Downtown Disney or just hang around the resort. On one of my earliest visits to WDW my friend took me on a tour of nearly all the on-property resorts. We traveled by bus, boat and monorail with stops for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I told my friend recently that we need to do that again because it was so much fun.

9. Jen76b

Jen76b Mouseketeer

Thanks for all suggestions!

Since we have dinners ressies at 7p in DTD, we'll hang out and shop there afterwards.

I have 3 options for her to choose from for during the day:

-hang out at our hotel and explore the property, go to the pool and have QS lunch there.

-Check out Art of Animation and QS lunch there.

-Go to the Boardwalk, pizza on the Boardwalk, pool time (clown slide at the Inn)

While doing research, I didn't realize how much there was to do at Fort Wilderness. I planned several hours to spend exploring there on our last day. She LOVES the outdoors, so she'll love just walking around and looking for wildlife. Plus who wouldn't love ending the day with a s'more? :)

Thanks again for all your help! Can't believe we'll be in Disney in 3 weeks!

Jen

10. vlproud

vlproud Earning My Ears

You could plan a spa afternoon if you would like a scheduled activity. That way you start off your vacation on a relaxing note. You could also go shopping at Downtown Disney. You could get on the monorail and tour the resorts at each stop if you don't want to spend money. The boardwalk also provides a nice relaxing walk.

11. Cheshire Figment

Cheshire Figment <font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend

Why not go to a Park? It only costs $10.65 (including tax) to add a day to a MYW ticket that is for five or more days.

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in the TPA&S Forum, especially Post #6, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!

Also, if you have a package starting on October 28, 29, or 30 check Post #15-I about picking up your tickets early.

12. meremac

meremac Earning My Ears

Personally, I love spending time on the Boardwalk. It's so simple and relaxing; it just reminds me of summer vacations that my family used to take when my brother and I were young. I'd vote for that option, especially on your arrival day (when you're likely to be frazzled from traveling).

13. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

We usually resort hop and hit DTD for some shopping!

14. monica9

monica9 DIS Veteran

We are going to visit downtown disney and grab dinner there and then go walk on the boardwalk and visit those surrounding resorts.

15. DVC Kelly

DVC Kelly Mouseketeer Approved Advertiser

I love walking around the Boardwalk and watching the live performers. They always make me laugh :rotfl2:

16. Chaoticsweetness

Chaoticsweetness Mouseketeer

Head to DTD & do some shopping or window shop. I love the stores there, I can spend hours in World of Disney. Ghirardelli is an awesome place to visit if you like chocolate, they give you a free piece when you visit the gift shop.

Edit: didn't realize the date on here. Let us know how you started your trip! :)

17. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving to POR, so I can catch an extra day, but the parks are still too busy for me.

I like to go to DTD on the water taxi and sit at RFC for a leisurely lunch at the bar and watch a college football game. Then I walk around and get myself geared up for the parks.

I catch the DTD bus over to the BW and catch some entertainment, then head back to the resort to see Yee-hah Bob in the Lounge debuted his Christmas show!