1st Cruise! (PTR) Dec 2015 Very MerryTime on the Disney Wonder

dglilbit

Mouseketeer
Hi and welcome to planning for our first cruise ever! I'm less than 1 hour away from our 75 day check in date (!) for our 7 Night Bahamian Very Merry Time Cruise Dec 11 - 18 out of Galveston and decided to start a thread to capture all the planning!

Our little party consists of me :earsgirl: (Dayna), my husband :earsboy: (Rob) and our little girl princess: (Evie), who is 4. I've been a Disney fan for a long time though I've only been to WDW for a short weekend. DH went a couple times to WDW when he was younger and is excited to go back with the family someday.

There is some debate as to whether that means when Evie is closer to 6 or 8 (update - we are going for her 6th birthday! ). This cruise will serve as a much needed vacation as well as a taste of Disney and cruising as a family. I've really appreciated all of the pre-trip and trip reports. Reading them has helped me learn so much as well as get even more excited for this trip!

Over the last year we've gone to several Disney productions and just for fun I've included a collage of pictures from the shows below.

Last year the Disney Junior Live Show Pirate & Princess Adventure came through town so we were sure to get tickets for it!
disney-live-pirates-and-princesses-1-jpg.126120

disney-live-pirates-and-princesses-2-jpg.126121

This past year we've gone to 2 Disney On Ice productions, which were so much fun!

Disney on Ice Let's Celebrate!
disney-on-ice-may-2015-jpg.126125

Disney on Ice Frozen
disney-on-ice-frozen-may-2015-jpg.126130

Attachments

• Disney Wonder Location 2015 09 26.jpg
    Disney Wonder Location 2015 09 26.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Disney Live Pirates and Princesses 1.jpg
    Disney Live Pirates and Princesses 1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Disney Live Pirates and Princesses 2.jpg
    Disney Live Pirates and Princesses 2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Disney on Ice May 2015.jpg
    Disney on Ice May 2015.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Disney on Ice Frozen May 2015.jpg
    Disney on Ice Frozen May 2015.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Now we are looking forward to the cruise and Evie asks regularly when we are going on the "big boat." pirate:

Cruise Itinerary
1 Galveston, Texas
2 At Sea
3 At Sea
4 Castaway Cay (+ Pirate Deck Party)
5 Nassau
6 Key West
7 At Sea
8 Galveston, Texas

A bit about Disney Wonder

Restaurants
3 Aft Parrot Cay
3 Mid Triton's
4 Aft Animator's Palate
9 Aft Beach Blanket Buffet
9 Mid Cove Cafe (Adults Only)
9 Mid Pluto’s Dog House, Pinocchio’s Pizzeria, Goofy’s Galley quick service
10 Aft Palo
Main Public Areas

3 Atrium Lobby (spans 3 decks)
3 Guest Services
3 Port Adventures
4 Walt Disney Theatre
4 Preludes Movie Concessions
4 Shutters
5 Buena Vista Theatre

Where is the Disney Wonder now?
disney-wonder-location-2015-09-26-jpg.126114

Last edited:
Pre-cruise Planning
(now updated with what was used during the cruise)

Completed
  • Cruise countdown chain made and in progress of being counted down!
  • Completed Disney song playlist to start listening to while driving!
  • Tervis tumblers purchased
  • Fish extender received
  • Fish extender gifts COMPLETED!
  • All passports applied for and received
  • Anti-nausea medicine purchased and in bag
  • Air freshener purchased and in bag
  • Clothes pins purchased and in bag
  • Lanyards purchased - for the second time...need to put all in one spot so I don't lose these like I lost the others! :sad2:
  • Pins for trading bought and put on lanyards
  • Printed out cruise meet lime green Mickey and attached to lanyard
  • On-line check-in completed!
    • PAT 11:30 AM - verify time/zone on cruise documents
    • Palo Brunch Day 3
    • Nassau Excursion Seaworld Explorer Semi Submarine
    • Key West Excursion Conch Train Tour
    • Received/printed and signed cruise documents and then put in folder for travel
    • Put together cruise journal for Evie
      • Included coloring pages from dollar store
      • Included alphabet and number trace pages
      • Disney princess crayons, markers and pencils
      • Pencil pouch with 3 holes and Disney scrapbook stickers
      • Pencil and sharpener
  • Figured out which camera we will use and will decide whether to let Evie bring her camera (pack extra batteries)
  • Plan for Castaway Cay 5k
  • Ordered & picked up Candice Alexander Christmas Ornament for Ornament Exchange - missed it on the ship, got wrong date/location
  • Called Galveston hotel to verify parking reservation - it will be $10/day
  • Wonderful hubby attached magnetic tape to door decorations 11/8
  • Small items already packed
    • Packed sticky notes to be able to tour the hallways to check out everyone's door decorations and leave messages for doors you really like.
    • 3 highlighters for Navigator activities for each of us
    • Zip ties
    • Purchased boxed movie candy (Target has it for $1)
    • Saved magazines to give to CMs
    • Rob completed drink carrier
    • Trial anti-nausea medicine and then take medicine the night before - not done but used patches and pills with no problem
    • Schedule character call - never got to work right
    • Items packed
      • Plan packing - light jackets and pool cover ups
      • Passports
      • snorkel gear for Evie - didn't pack
      • Purchased ice cream spoons - done but didn't use
      • Purchased Lysol wipes - done but didn't use
      • Purchased Downey wrinkle releaser - done but didn't use
      • ice cream toppings for milk shakes and ice cream - didn't pack
      • Boogie wipes - didn't pack
      • night light - didn't do but used fish extender gifts as night lights
      • Purchased paper towels with Dawn - didn't use
      • Odds and ends kit: safety pins, band-aids, an aspirin roll, Q-tips, a stain-remover pen, Tums
      • Ziploc bags
Maybe Do
  • Make felt ears - didn't do
  • Print/get printed Disney cruise design on already bought red and gray shirts - didn't do
  • Still need credit card for light? Looks like no! - nope!
  • Bring laundry supplies? - done but didn't use
  • Prepay for cruise photos at mycruisephotos.com - didn't do
  • Buy postcards and bring cash for stamps to mail postcards - didn't do
  • Preprint return address labels so won't have to fill out the night before (or pack ones already have) - didn't do
  • Print out Disney Wonder Scavenger Hunt - didn't do
  • Paint brush and cornstarch for sand - didn't do but received as fish extender gift

Tips & Tricks
  • Decide when/if to do Magical Makeovers with Glitters & Go, Mickey's Mates, Deck 4, Forward...referenced in these Navigators
  • Bring $1 bills to tip room service
  • Ask stateroom host to remove the little table in front of the couch to get more space. Also remove chair/footstool tucked into the kneehole of the desk to use area for storage.
  • deck 7 aft lookout
  • Staircase starboard side all the way aft from deck 8 goes right up to the Buffet near the drinks. Very convenient!
  • Pretzels are by the pool in the pizza place. Ask for the stuffed ones as well to try the ones with cream cheese. Many people loved them.
  • Order room service
    • Order cookies and milk from room services before bed
    • You can get Mickey bars at anytime from room service and in the dining rooms as desert after lunch and dinner!
    • Order All Hands on Deck (fruit and cheese plate). It makes a great appetizer and will keep well without refrigeration.
    • Order coffee the last thing before bedtime on the last night of the cruise so have coffee in the stateroom the next morning (when you can't order room service). It stays warm in the insulated carafe.
  • After have seen all 3 dining rooms, skip dinner one night and go to the pools while everyone else is at dinner - no one is there!
  • Use the men's and women's spa locker rooms and sauna for free, where you can get body lotion and shampoo out of dispensers in the shower.
  • For souvenir, get favorite theme night (pirate night?) menu signed by head server, food server and drink server
  • Ask for shrimp cocktail and/or fried mozzarella sticks with dinner
  • Get treasure hunt booklet morning dock at Castaway Cay...this might not be done anymore
  • Parking lot of wagons at Castaway Cay - good for kids and for getting food --- to the left hand side (the ocean side) of the path and before you come to the shopping area.
  • Save Navigators to scan and put on disneycruiselineblog.com (not much in the way of a Wonder 7 Night Bahamian cruise available!)

Last edited:
Where in the World is...the Disney Wonder?!
Where-in-the-World-is-Carmen-Sandiego.jpg

This itinerary page says it's currently on a 3-day round-trip to Mexico-Pacific Coast from San Diego.

Current position shows it is in Ensanada!

Disney Wonder 2015 10 03.jpg

Eek! 60 days out!

Time for another update on where the Wonder is in its progress of wondering to us for our trip!

This itinerary says it is leaving San Diego today on a 5-day round-trip to Mexico-Pacific Coast, going to Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas and back to San Diego.

Pre-cruise Planning

Completed
  • Cruise countdown chain made and in progress of being counted down!
  • Tervis tumblers purchased
  • Fish extender received
  • Fish extender gifts in progress!
  • All passports applied for and received
  • Anti-nausea medicine purchased and in bag
  • Air freshener purchased and in bag
  • Clothes pins purchased and in bag
  • Lanyards purchased - for the second time...need to put all in one spot so I don't lose these like I lost the others! :sad2:
  • On-line check-in completed!
    • PAT 11:30 AM - verify time/zone on cruise documents
    • Palo Brunch Day 3
    • Nassau Excursion Seaworld Explorer Semi Submarine
    • Key West Excursion Conch Train Tour
  • Plan for Castaway Cay 5k
  • Ordered Candice Alexander Christmas Ornament for Ornament Exchange - need to pick up when ready
  • Called Galveston hotel to verify parking reservation - it will be $10/day

To Do

• Print/get printed Disney cruise design on already bought red and gray shirts
  • Print out cruise meet lime green Mickey to attach to lanyard
  • Make a super fun Disney song playlist to start listening to while driving!
  • Save magazines to give to CMs
  • Finish fish extender family and individual gifts - need double sided tape
  • Buy and attach magnetic tape to door decorations
  • Rob to complete drink carrier
  • Receive/print and sign cruise documents and then put in folder for travel
  • Put together cruise journal for Evie
    • Use 3 hole punch white card stock to print out pages on both sides and put in report cover
    • Also include coloring pages
    • Also include alphabet and number trace pages
    • Pencil pouch with 3 holes
    • Small pack of crayons
    • Pencil and sharpener
    • Stickers
  • Figure out camera/video situation - use phones, borrow camera?
  • Trial anti-nausea medicine and then take medicine the night before
  • Plan packing - light jackets and pool cover ups needed?
  • Small items to purchase and pack
    • Pack sticky notes to be able to tour the hallways to check out everyone's door decorations and leave messages for doors you really like.
    • Get 3 highlighters for Navigator activities for each of us
    • Pack zip ties and various organizers
    • Pack night light
    • Purchase and pack paper towels with Dawn
    • Pack plastic spoons and ice cream toppings for milk shakes and ice cream
    • Purchase boxed movie candy (Target has it for $1)
    • Wet ones/Lysol wipes
    • Boogie wipes
    • Downey wrinkle releaser
    • Odds and ends kit: safety pins, band-aids, an aspirin roll, Q-tips, a stain-remover pen
    • Buy candy to give to CMs
  • Schedule character call

Maybe Do

• Buy pins for pin trading
  • Make felt ears
  • Still need credit card light?
  • Bring laundry supplies?
  • Prepay for cruise photos at mycruisephotos.com
  • Buy postcards and bring cash for stamps to mail postcards
  • Get Evie camera for present to take pictures?
  • Preprint return address labels so won't have to fill out the night before (or pack ones already have)
  • Print out Disney Wonder Scavenger Hunt
  • Paint brush and cornstarch for sand

Tips & Tricks
  • Bring $1 bills to tip room service
  • Ask stateroom host to remove the little table in front of the couch to get more space. Also remove chair/footstool tucked into the kneehole of the desk to use area for storage.
  • Order room service
    • Order cookies and milk from room services before bed
    • You can get Mickey bars at anytime from room service and in the dining rooms as desert after lunch and dinner!
    • Order All Hands on Deck (fruit and cheese plate). It makes a great appetizer and will keep well without refrigeration.
    • Order coffee the last thing before bedtime on the last night of the cruise so have coffee in the stateroom the next morning (when you can't order room service). It stays warm in the insulated carafe.
  • After have seen all 3 dining rooms, skip dinner one night and go to the pools while everyone else is at dinner - no one is there!
  • Use the men's and women's spa locker rooms and sauna for free, where you can get body lotion and shampoo out of dispensers in the shower.
  • For souvenir, get favorite theme night (pirate night?) menu signed by head server, food server and drink server
  • Ask for shrimp cocktail and/or fried mozzarella sticks with dinner
  • Get treasure hunt booklet morning dock at Castaway Cay
  • Parking lot of wagons at Castaway Cay - good for kids and for getting food --- to the left hand side (the ocean side) of the path, past the Flying Dutchman and before you come to the shopping area.
  • Save Navigators to scan and put on disneycruiselineblog.com (not much in the way of a 7 Night Bahamian cruise available!)
Holy cow, you are so organized and on top of things! Are you sure this is your first Disney cruise? :) We are also on the Disney Wonder this December out of Galveston and I am just starting to get a handle on the prep for it. There seems to be so much I don't know! What are the lanyards for?

Thanks, I've been reading trip reports and threads for the past year just to keep the excitement up for the trip!
Not sure how many of the plans will get completed, though.

The lanyards are to hold the Key to the World cards that you use around the ship and to get into your room. I don't think you get them for your first cruise and it was something fun for each of us to pick out.

Last edited:
A travel agent booked this for us and after reading through this board a bit, I feel way behind on check-ins and who knows what else I should have been doing before now. No one told us to check in online at any point before the cruise, or anything else! What else am I missing? :)

There seems to be a lot to do - but it seems like people plan for what works for them and everyone ends up having a great time! A lot of tips specific to me and my family are in this thread but also might be useful for you.

Were you able to check in on-line on the Disney Cruise Line site?
Looks like we are on the same cruise!
Are you participating in the fish extender?

Here are some of my favorite thread reads and links:
You can also search the Disboards for your room number to see if someone has done a review or has pictures of your room.

Last edited:
One week from today, the Wonder will be departing San Diego for the EB Panama Canal cruise and making its way to our port! :yay:

14-day one-way to Transcanal/Panama Canal from San Diego Fri Oct 23 04:00pm (San Diego, departing), Sat Oct 24 (At Sea), Sun Oct 25 11:00am to 04:30pm (Cabo San Lucas), Mon Oct 26 10:30am to 03:45pm (Puerto Vallarta), Tue Oct 27 to Sat Oct 31 (At Sea), Sun Nov 01 09:30am to 05:45pm (Cartagena), Mon Nov 02 to Tue Nov 03 (At Sea), Wed Nov 04 08:00am to 03:45pm (Cozumel), Thu Nov 05 (At Sea), Fri Nov 06 08:30am (Galveston, arrive)

There seems to be a lot to do - but it seems like people plan for what works for them and everyone ends up having a great time! A lot of tips specific to me and my family are in this thread but also might be useful for you.

Were you able to check in on-line on the Disney Cruise Line site?
Looks like we are on the same cruise!
Are you participating in the fish extender?

Here are some of my favorite thread reads and links:
You can also search the Disboards for your room number to see if someone has done a review or have pictures of your room.
Thanks SO much for all of this! I was finally able to sign in via the cruise website yesterday. They had been having some technical difficulties, it seems. I had hoped to reserve a private cabana for Castaway Cay, but of course they are all sold out at this point. I wonder if there is a waiting list for them?
I am planning to participate in the fish extenders and the ornament exchange.

:flower1:Oh wow, you are super organized!! We're on the Magic December 13th and your PTR is super helpful.

Glad it is helpful for you!
For the cabana, I think you can just keep checking back to see if any become available but I could be wrong. Maybe call and see if there is a waiting list? Does anyone else know? We aren't going the cabana route so I don't know a lot about it.

The Wonder left San Diego on the 23rd for the East Bound Panama Cruise and according to the published itinerary, it is supposed to be an At Sea Day. However, maybe the weather through the itinerary out the window.

The Wonder is the blue ship on the left side of the picture, currently docked in Costa Rica.

Wonder location 2015 10 29.jpg

Last edited:
We are looking into getting into pin trading on this trip as well!
I like this article about pin trading. And my sister's advice as well since she was a Cast Member at Disney World!

I ordered these pins! :earboy2:
Disney pin inside out.jpg Disney pin baby faces.jpg Disney Pin cars.jpg Disney Pin baby animals.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the Wonder has started on her first Merrytime cruises of the season!

She is currently docked in Cozumel!

Fri Nov 06 03:30pm (Galveston, departing), Sat Nov 07 (At Sea), Sun Nov 08 08:30am to 03:45pm (Cozumel), Mon Nov 09 10:30am to 05:30pm (Cayman/George Town), Tue Nov 10 08:00am to 03:45pm (Falmouth), Wed Nov 11 to Thu Nov 12 (At Sea), Fri Nov 13 08:30am (Galveston, arrive)

dcl-merrytime-1024x526.jpg

dcl376895LARGE.jpg

Disney%20Cruise%20Christmas%20%20Disney%20Dream%20photo%20%28c%29%20Disney%20Matt%20Stroshane%20photo_1.jpg

disney-princess-christmas.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
15917876786_e2fe1a303f_z.jpg

Christmas_Castaway_Cay_Disney_Cruise_Line.jpg

castaway-cay-christmas.jpg

Eek! 60 days out!

Time for another update on where the Wonder is in its progress of wondering to us for our trip!

This itinerary says it is leaving San Diego today on a 5-day round-trip to Mexico-Pacific Coast, going to Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas and back to San Diego.
Following along! One day we hope to do a Very Merrytime cruise! We love Disney Wonder! We were actually on this October 11-15th cruise!!! I'm actually partway through my TR if you want to read!

I love how organized you are!!! I have to warn you that these cruises go by soooo fast and there will be things you won't be able to do/attend. But that's ok...there's always next time. ;)

Thanks! I'm trying to get all the crazy planning done before the cruise with the hope of relaxing and going with the flow on the cruise. I feel like first day we need to take care of items at Guest Services but hopefully after that easy livin!

I was watching your thread - lurker caught! :scared1:
I have enjoyed your trip report and I really like the dolls in the pics feature!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter