1st cruise on Dream, lots of questions!

IfIHadWings

Earning My Ears
Hello!
With our anniversary approaching September 1st, my hubby told me he'd like to go on a short cruise. He chose the September 4th 3 day Bahamas cruise on the Disney Dream--yay!!! We live in north Florida & intend to drive down. We also want to go to Orlando when the cruise concludes on Sunday & spend two nights at a moderate Disney resort. We are in our 40s-50s & both physically active.

I haven't booked anything yet. I think I want a 5D room--veranda. I'm waiting on a quote from Dreams Unlimited Travel. I checked Costco Travel & the rate is the same as Disney's posted rate plus a $95 Costco card. So, that's where we are at. Now the questions: :)

1) Should we book ASAP?

2) If we book with Costco or Dreams Unlimited & a discount code for Florida residents comes out, can we apply it to our booking?

3) What do we do with our car? Does the ship have a parking lot? What does it cost? Off-site parking?

4) Can we leave our car at the resort in Orlando & take the shuttle bus? What would this cost?

5) We are obviously on a tight-ish budget. :) Are there any excursions at Nassau or Castaway Cay that are must dos? If we brought our own snorkeling stuff, could we see good sea life or do we need to go on the paid trips? FYI we've never gone snorkeling before.

6)Any other first-time advice or tricks?

Thanks oodles in advance, we are crazy excited!!!

MaryPat

Hi. I can't answer all your questions. I'm sure others will

We always book direct with Disney so I can't comment on prices

I know there is parking at port. Not run by Disney. I think cost depends on whether you want garage or open parking. Seems like I heard cost is between 10 and 15 a day. I think this would be cheaper than a transfer by Disney unless you are doing a package that includes hotel, tickets, cruise , etc. We have never done that but I've heard there are good deals with a package

We have been on 12 Disney cruises so I know you will love. Have been on the Fantasy but not the dream. Going on the Dream in aug for the dvc member cruise. But the dream is much like Fantasy. Gorgeous ship with fantastic adult areas both at the pool and the bars.

If you haven't been on a cruise suggest a balcony. A great experience. Or at the very least a window. I personally can't stand an inside room but lots of people like them especially for the cost savings.

Be sure to do aqua duck. So much fun!

And try either Palo or Remy for an adult dinner. Palo is extra 25 a person and Remy is 75. We always do Palo at least once. Have not done Remy.

Also if you are wine drinkers like us we buy a wine package which gives you a bottle of wine with dinner each night.

If you work out the fitness center is very large with lots if equipment. I wish they had more room for floor work but there are lots of treadmills and weights.

If you don't have kids with you I definitely recommend late seating. But then my family doesn't like to eat early...5 30 or 6. Late dinner is 815 to 8 45. For some that is too late but for us it works great. N rushing around after a port visit. Time for a shower, a drink, go to early show, listen to some music, ex. Then after dinner there is more entertainment.

At Nassau you can do excursions like to Atlantis for water park and booze cruises with snorkeling. We don't even get off at Nassau any more but you can do stuff on your own. There are water taxis available to take you to paradise island.

At castaway cay there is large snorkeling area that my husband loves. We always bring our own eqiluipment but you can rent for 15. There is an adult only area on the island but it's at the other end from where the ship ports. I always get off early for the family to get chairs and umbrella on the main beach. It does get crowded but you can always find a chair. There are two really fun water slides. And you can rent bikes or just walk around. They serve lunch there or you can go back to ship. We often go back early to enjoy the aqua duck slide without the crowds.

You don't need your passport to get off. Just bring your Disney room key. On castaway cay you can charge drinks, etc to room. And we never worry about leaving personal stuff on chairs. We don't bring money but have brought phones, cameras, sun screen, etc. Have never had any concerns

Can't comment on resorts at Disney. We are dvc members and always stay at a deluxe with points.

I didn't copy your note so I can't remember what else you asked. But I hope this helps.

Hello!
With our anniversary approaching September 1st, my hubby told me he'd like to go on a short cruise. He chose the September 4th 3 day Bahamas cruise on the Disney Dream--yay!!! We live in north Florida & intend to drive down. We also want to go to Orlando when the cruise concludes on Sunday & spend two nights at a moderate Disney resort. We are in our 40s-50s & both physically active.

I haven't booked anything yet. I think I want a 5D room--veranda. I'm waiting on a quote from Dreams Unlimited Travel. I checked Costco Travel & the rate is the same as Disney's posted rate plus a $95 Costco card. So, that's where we are at. Now the questions: :)

1) Should we book ASAP? Yes - you're going to pay premium (i.e. high) prices because it's so late. You might do well to look for GTY (guaranteed) rates.

2) If we book with Costco or Dreams Unlimited & a discount code for Florida residents comes out, can we apply it to our booking? That would be a question for the TA. I would suggest DU as they have been very helpful in my bookings.

3) What do we do with our car? [COLOR="Black] Does the ship have a parking lot? What does it cost? Off-site parking? The port has a nice parking deck. [COLOR="Magenta"]You will get varying opinions but I prefer parking at the port for convenience[/COLOR].[/COLOR][/COLOR]
4) Can we leave our car at the resort in Orlando & take the shuttle bus? What would this cost? You can but there is a $35/pp charge and you don't get to the port as early.

5) We are obviously on a tight-ish budget. :) Are there any excursions at Nassau or Castaway Cay that are must dos? If we brought our own snorkeling stuff, could we see good sea life or do we need to go on the paid trips? FYI we've never gone snorkeling before. I do not like Nassau, I find it dirty and scary. Again, you will get varying opinions. You can rent snorkeling equipment on Castaway Cay.

6)Any other first-time advice or tricks? If you have a sea day try and book brunch at Palo.

Thanks oodles in advance, we are crazy excited!!!

MaryPat

Have a great trip and happy anniversary.

As far as snorkeling goes, we did a snorkel excursion in Nassau and we were actually quite disappointed. We did not see many fish. We actually had a very good time snorkeling at castaway cay. We saw a lot of fish and the water is the clearest blue I have ever seen. We have our own snorkeling things so I'm not sure about the rental prices. I think they are listed on the website with the castaway cay excursions. We actually never made it to the designated snorkeling area. We spent the day at serenity bay, the adult area. There was plenty of extra seats so no need to get out there early unless you want to.

Thanks so much everyone! We put our deposit down today for a Verandah room through Dreams Unlimited. Woohoo!!!!!:woohoo:

Still interested in any advice you have to give us. Y'all are awesome sauce!

MaryPat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter