1st Cruise in 18 days-Freaking OUT!!

mlynnabell

1st time Cruiser
My DH, myself and DD (2 1/2) are embarking on our first cruise October 16 (Dream). I'm so nervous my stomach has been in knots for days! I've been reading threads all day and have a 4 page list of things I don't want to forget! Someone please tell me what all my 2 1/2 year old is going to be able to do on this cruise. I didn't plan on any excursions b/c I thought she was too little. We didn't book our cruise until July so we have late dinner which I'm afraid is not going to work for her, I think she's going to be tired and grouchy! Someone please reassure me that this is going to be great!! :-) Thanks for any tips and advise!! Melissa

Don't be nervous, it will be just fine. We'll be on the same cruise so :welcome:

I can't help too much with your DD, as my DH and I are traveling alone since my "kids" are all in their 20s, but one suggestion I can give you is to try to change your dining time when you get onboard. If you can't change your time I would then feed your DD earlier either at the buffet, pool deck or room service, this way when you go to dinner she won't be so hungry and if she's tired she can fall asleep and you won't have to worry about her.

Just relax and don't stress too much, you'll have a wonderful time. :hug:

Call DCL or your TA now and ask to be waitlisted for main seating. Then after you board, go to "dining changes" and ask to be moved to main seating. The worst they can do is to say no.

What you and your child do is totally up to you. He/she is welcome to play in the Oceaneer's Club if you are there. If/when you need some adult time, the child can go to the nursery (for a fee). You don't need to book excursions to have a great cruise!

OK, during the day...there is a splash area by the pool where your child can have a blast getting wet. I'm guessing he/she isn't fully potty trained and therefore can't go in the big pool. There are characters to meet and greet all over the place. There are family activities including some for pre-schoolers (with a mom or dad). There are family dance parties in the evening--nothing cuter than a little one dancing with daddy or in daddy's arms. There are movies in the theater and on the TV. Little people can have a blast just walking around the ship and exploring.

If you end up with late dinner, just do a late afternoon snack. Take your little one to dinner in an umbrella stroller so that if he/she falls asleep it is easy for you to wheel him/her out.

It's going to be great! You do not need to do shore excursions and will have some quieter time on the ship while most of the others are running ashore.

First, give up the idea of doing it all. It's much more important to have an enjoyable vacation than to stress over remembering and doing it all. If you forget to pack your "over the door shoe holder," no problem, you'll find shelves and drawers to tuck all your necessary items.

Second, once you board, go to the area were they are taking dining requests and ask if you can be moved to first dining. If that doesn't work, there are other options for dinner (Cabanas, room service, etc.). I'd even try the late dining in the main dining room. Especially if you feed your child earlier, she may very well fall asleep in the dining room, giving you a very peaceful mealtime! If she has a meltdown, ask your servers to box up your meal and take it back to your stateroom.

There will be plenty to do. Keep an eye for open houses and family times in the kid clubs where you can go in with your toddler and play in the facilities. You can even ask if you can come in with her at other times to join in the activities. Consider booking some nursery time so that DD can play there while you get some adult time.

Have a great cruise!
Peg

I love this forum! You all are amazing! Just reading the first two replies makes me feel 100% better! I am excited just nervous that I'm going to miss something or miss the whole cruise all together! LOL :rotfl:

You guys will have a blast! Our youngest went on her first cruise last April when she was 2 1/2 & had the time of her life! She was potty trained, so she (and us) got to enjoy some time in the kid's club. We had late dining & had been pretty worried about it, but it worked out great. We did late lunch & late nap, grabbed a snack before the show & she was fine until dinner. You guys are going to have an amazing time! Let me know if you have other questions, I probably asked the same ones!

did not now this, we just got off the dream sept 22nd cruise. we took our 20 month old. we had no idea that she could not get in the kids pool with a swimmer on. the only thing she could do was nemos reef, very sad.

You guys will have a blast! Our youngest went on her first cruise last April when she was 2 1/2 & had the time of her life! She was potty trained, so she (and us) got to enjoy some time in the kid's club. We had late dining & had been pretty worried about it, but it worked out great. We did late lunch & late nap, grabbed a snack before the show & she was fine until dinner. You guys are going to have an amazing time! Let me know if you have other questions, I probably asked the same ones!

Yes my daughter is pottied trained now I've been telling her since July that she had to be a big girl and be pottied trained before we went on our BIG SHIP to see Mickey! She has done fabulous! So you guys went to shows before dinner? Thanks for all the help and advise again I truely truely appreciate it so much!

We will be on the same cruise with you can't believe it's only 18 days away! I also have late dining and I was worried about that with our 1yr old so I made reservations for her at the nursery while we are at dinner. Hopefully she will do ok in there!

Our DD was 3 the first time that we took her on a Disney cruise, and we had late dinner. It actually worked out just fine! She would take a nap in the afternoons, and then be ready to go to the show and then dinner. (You'll find that you don't need over half of the things that you pack anyway.) :thumbsup2

If your daughter is anything like mine, she will LOVE visiting with all of the characters and princesses. She'll have fun in the pool/Nemo reef and enjoy the shows. Even just walking around, exploring the ship is fun. And Castaway Cay day is always our favorite day of the cruise! You may want some sand toys for her...

You're going to have a great time! Just relax and enjoy your family!

We cruised when DS was 3 and had late seating and ended up loving it. We had tons of time in the afternoon to play around the ship and then took a late nap. We always ordered room service as we got ready for the show and dinner. Love the cheese and fruit tray! :love: It worked out great. Don't stress and just go with it.

We always ordered room service as we got ready for the show and dinner. Love the cheese and fruit tray! :love: It worked out great. Don't stress and just go with it.

I did this too! How could I have forgotten the cheese plate?!? After DD was bathed and laid down for her nap, I would enjoy a little snack on the veranda and then hit the shower to get myself ready for the show. DH usually went down to the comfy lounge chairs on deck 4 and took his own nap at this time! By the time I was done in the shower, he would come back to the room to shower up himself. We had a pretty good system going for DD's nap time on the ship. Now, only DH still does afternoon naps! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter