$1B Disneyland Resort Expansion - OC REGISTER

I grew up going to WDW but now live on the West Coast so most trips are to DL. I just went to WDW this past Feb and we were there 2 weeks and it felt huge and so expansive with so much more to do. As DL I can usually do in 3 days. I do think they need more here and considering WDW has so many more parks I will not get into the semantics of ride numbers when you have AK and Epcot which are both awesome in my mind.

Ultimately I am sure its all about money and spending the money where they can generate the greater profit and I am sure that currently sits with DL.

I do think they need more here and considering WDW has so many more parks I will not get into the semantics of ride numbers when you have AK and Epcot which are both awesome in my mind. Ultimately I am sure its all about money and spending the money where they can generate the greater profit and I am sure that currently sits with DL.

Do you not understand the difference between land costs in Orange County CA and Orange County FL?

Do you not understand the difference between land costs in Orange County CA and Orange County FL?

Definitely a difference. California is an extremely expensive location to purchase land, build a home and to live in general.

Let's hope that they do add to the parks in some way.......a Star Wars Land would be awesome!!!

Yes as I live in Vancouver and we have some of the most expensive real estate world wide and yes everyone is flocking here to do business. Land prices alone do not define profit that can be generated. If that were the case I am sure there are other cheaper places they could move disney too.

When you look at Bob Iger and his business acumen I think we can trust that the decisions he is making are in the interests of making money for the disney shareholders .

Also as stated the amount of un-used space within both parks is rather large so this isn't about buying more land rather than utilizing what they have not yet used.

I'd like to be thinking less about what $1billion can really build and more about pipe dreaming...because why not it's fun. I would love to see a dedicated area for Star Wars, instead of shoehorning it into Tomorrowland. But, given the licensing complexities for Marvel in Florida, i wonder if it's more likely that DLR expansion will be more Marvel focused with WDW perhaps focusing on Star Wars? They can't really monetize Marvel at all in the Florida park as I understand it. I guess this assumes that there isn't money and space enough to do both in Anaheim. Maybe there is.

I could see Hollywoodland becoming a Marvel focused "land" (or perhaps instead the area behind Carsland) as Marvel fits the DCA theme better than DLP. Then perhaps adding a SW attraction or two in Tomorrowland. I'd prefer a Star Wars land, but I'm sure they do want to capitalize on their ownership of Marvel more than they are currently in their parks...and they apparently can't in Florida (currently).

Maybe I can help be a little more accurate with the guesses? :-)

I'm a kiwi in Vancouver BC but am interested, so went to the best source I can think of.

Anaheim zoning map. Easily the biggest undeveloped area that is zoned for Disney is west of Disneyland Drive, with smaller parcels either size of Clementine. I would guess the areas near Clementine are not big enough for a new park, probably only a parking garage.
http://www.anaheim.net/departmentfolders/planning/ZoningMap.pdf

Then again I guess DL could just go tell Anaheim that they want the zoning changed...

Yes as I live in Vancouver and we have some of the most expensive real estate world wide and yes everyone is flocking here to do business. Land prices alone do not define profit that can be generated. If that were the case I am sure there are other cheaper places they could move disney too.

When you look at Bob Iger and his business acumen I think we can trust that the decisions he is making are in the interests of making money for the disney shareholders .

Also as stated the amount of un-used space within both parks is rather large so this isn't about buying more land rather than utilizing what they have not yet used.

Yup $1mill+ for a house that I believe would cost less than $500k in LA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter