1999 Academy Awards - Best Picture

Shakespeare in Love won for Best Picture. Was Saving Private Ryan "robbed"?

Academy Awards is a popularity contest. It doesn't show necessary truely what was the greatest. Studios compaign much like Politicians do for the Academy Awards.

The worst injustice/wrong/robbery in Oscar history was when Tommy Lee Jones won Best Supporting Actor for yet again, playing Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive in 1994. Leonardo DiCaprio should have won that Oscar by a country mile for his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, especially considering how young he was to give such an incredible performance.

Yes, but it is a popularity contest.

Cate Blanchett should have beaten Gwyneth too.

And Ellen Burstyn losing to Julia Roberts is the worst Oscar travesty of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Shakespeare in Love is the best movie ever! My favorite, anyway. Just brilliantly written, acted, and directed. I think it deserved to win.

I thought SIL sucked when it came out and it certainly hasn't gotten better with time. They played it on our flight to London along with The Wedding Singer. After both, dad said he'd wished they'd have just played Wedding Singer twice :rotfl2:

I thought SIL sucked when it came out and it certainly hasn't gotten better with time. They played it on our flight to London along with The Wedding Singer. After both, dad said he'd wished they'd have just played Wedding Singer twice :rotfl2:

May I ask why you thought it sucked? I think it's a great movie. I love the story and I love the way it was brought to the screen.

May I ask why you thought it sucked? I think it's a great movie. I love the story and I love the way it was brought to the screen.

I thought it was boring and stupid. I can't point to any one thing, it just struck me as an all around bad movie. My wife and I rented it and shut it off midway through. Only saw the whole thing because of that flight. Wish I'd have taken a nap instead.

Sorry

The worst injustice/wrong/robbery in Oscar history was when Tommy Lee Jones won Best Supporting Actor for yet again, playing Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive in 1994. Leonardo DiCaprio should have won that Oscar by a country mile for his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, especially considering how young he was to give such an incredible performance.

:worship: THANK YOU! I was 13 and even I knew DiCaprio was robbed!

Except Ralph Fiennes should have won for Schindler's List that year over either of them. ;)

I thought it was boring and stupid. I can't point to any one thing, it just struck me as an all around bad movie. My wife and I rented it and shut it off midway through. Only saw the whole thing because of that flight. Wish I'd have taken a nap instead.

Sorry

No problem. You don't have to apologize for not liking the movie. To each their own. I guess I just like the sappy stuff.

Except Ralph Fiennes should have won for Schindler's List that year over either of them. ;)

Never saw it, but you are probably right. I heard he did an awesome job. I have seen most of the Fugitive and all of What's Eating Gilbert Grape. DiCaprio did an outstanding job.

Both movies weren't good. Shakespeare in Love was shallow and Gwyneth Paltrow is just not a good actress.

I remember that I saw Saving Private yan on tv once and thought it was incredibly boring and sappy, maybe it's better when there are patriotic feelings involved but for me it was nothing special, especially as I don't like Tom Hanks very much, I prefer actors who can express different emotions, not just suffering.

Saw (and loved) Schindler's List, but I'd still say DiCaprio had the edge.

Saw (and loved) Schindler's List, but I'd still say DiCaprio had the edge.

Not even close. DiCaprio should have won for The Departed, but the studio submitted him for lead instead of supporting, and he wound up not even getting nominated that year.

Not even close. DiCaprio should have won for The Departed, but the studio submitted him for lead instead of supporting, and he wound up not even getting nominated that year.

We can agree to disagree, but can we agree that Tommy Lee Jones won for playing Tommy Lee Jones? :lmao:

We can agree to disagree, but can we agree that Tommy Lee Jones won for playing Tommy Lee Jones? :lmao:

Pretty much...although he was great in The Fugitive, even if he was basically playing himself. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter