1913 or 2113

Would you live 100 years in the past or the future?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would go for 2113 due to the fact that Disney World didn't exist in 1913:)

Also I have a pacemaker which didn't exist and would have been dead by 1878 because I would have been born in 1861.

CammelleandBre said:
Future. I'm African American, Im very grateful for my forefather's who struggled, fought, and died for other AA to have the same rights, and be treated as equals. I wouldn't want to go back , and see the ignorance, and shamefulness of others. That's why I picked future because , I love where the world is going. We are truly starting to come together as one nation, where the color lines are trying to become non-existant for all nationalities. Especially with my man at 1600 Pennsylvania. I can't wait to see what the next 4 years, and beyond will bring.

This! There are things that I don't like about our world today, but I like being able to vote and having the other many rights that I enjoy today that I would not have 100 years ago. I enjoy my corporate career and I am optimistic about our future.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

In 1913?! Ooohh, HECK no! Going through WWI and the Great Flu Pandemic, Great Depression, Dust Bowl, gawdawful civil rights abuse, no penicillin, Prohibition. As a woman I couldn't vote, no credit, no reproductive rights, etc, etc. Then comes WWII. It may have been a great time to see sweeping changes in humankind and technology, but there was a lot of suffering to get there in many cases. I'll pass.

Although honestly, just going through a Texas summer without air conditioning would have been enough to say, "No way. Forget it, crazy!"

I pick the future. Maybe by then we will have world peace. I would only go back if I could be rich and have a house full of servants like Downtown Abbey. Even then what would my life be? Trying to find a husband and having children? Wow...fun.

Other things that sucked about 1913 beside WWI and the Spanish Flu:

Only 6 years until Prohibition.
Rampant racism and sexism.
Only 16 years until the start of the Great Depression.
The Troubles in Ireland.
The coup in the Ottoman Empire.
The Mexican Revolution.
The Second Balkan War.

In 1913?! Ooohh, HECK no! Going through WWI and the Great Flu Pandemic, Great Depression, Dust Bowl, gawdawful civil rights abuse, no penicillin, Prohibition. As a woman I couldn't vote, no credit, no reproductive rights, etc, etc. Then comes WWII. It may have been a great time to see sweeping changes in humankind and technology, but there was a lot of suffering to get there in many cases. I'll pass.

Although honestly, just going through a Texas summer without air conditioning would have been enough to say, "No way. Forget it, crazy!"

+1 :thumbsup2
I almost died during childbirth in 1999 and would have certainly died in 1913. I would love to see 2113!

If I could keep my memories of now and my knowledge of the history of the 20th century, I might do it. I know it would massively suck to go back in time, but IF I knew there was some way to leave a journal of what I encountered and experienced in my life time for people in this time to study, I think it would be fascinating.

I don't think my life would be any better - a lot worse, probably - but it was a fascinating time and a lot of changes happened and I would have enough foreknowledge to position myself to survive and cope with the times better than my cohorts in time.

:) I would love to go back to 1913, and be a person for change, real change. I would volunteer more, be nice to my neighbors who I have always known, and learn to cook. I could care less if I had to pee outside or had no electricity. Been there, done that during Katrina...for several weeks. Mississippi would be a hot dusty place with lots of opportunity for change--lord knows we needed it back then. I would read more, enjoy longer visits with family and be able to see stars at night.

I often wonder what my 4 year old neice will think is nastalgic when she gets 44 like me. I was happy playing Barbies and watching my brother play with his Stretch Armstrong and Evil Knevil (sp?). Stretch met a horrid end due to a fork, but that is for another thread...but it is odd that it IS a memory.

Gone are the days when we waited all year for It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and everyone's fav...Rudolph :rolleyes:

I've got to go with the future, even thought I find the thought scary and I would have been very happy as a housewife. lol.
I would have lost my son, two sisters and two nephews; and, my daughter would be permanently disabled without modern medicine. Gotta pass.

LuvinLucifer said:
Plenty of women had careers back then. There were even medical schools devoted to educating women.

Folks who think women didn't work back then are misinformed. They just got half the pay as the men for the same work and had no recourse for getting patted on the fanny or worse - my DH is an ardent feminist because he grew up with his mom's stories of what it was like for her to work in the 1930's thru the 1950's.

I am all about the future baby....

Living in the past would be my worst nightmare come true.

As far as "women working", most jobs you could work IF YOU WERE SINGLE!!!!!! Once you were married that was it for some careers.

DH's grandma got married on the sly, and continued teaching until the school let out....What a rebel....And that was in the 1940/50's!!!!!:eek:

Yeah, all 200 women Doctors. A career was something you did to pass the time while you waited to get married. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wcareer.htm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/everywoman-in-1910-no-vote-poor-206289

That's for the UK. Considering the population and the amount of women who actually wanted to be doctors, bankers, and accountants I'd venture to say there was less competition and it was that much easier to pursue. Many women chose to stay home. However, it wasn't law or anything. My great aunt was born in the late 1800s and had a 60 year career as a veterinarian. Google Dr.Leila Denmark. She managed to have a very successful practice and a family. I think it would very empowering to be one of those first women to pave the way surrounded by men.

LuvinLucifer said:
That's for the UK. Considering the population and the amount of women who actually wanted to be doctors, bankers, and accountants I'd venture to say there was less competition and it was that much easier to pursue. Many women chose to stay home. However, it wasn't law or anything. My great aunt was born in the late 1800s and had a 60 year career as a veterinarian. Google Dr.Leila Denmark. She managed to have a very successful practice and a family. I think it would very empowering to be one of those first women to pave the way surrounded by men.

Maybe you're right. Maybe life was drastically different in the USA than in the rest of the world in 1913. I live in Canada and even my Grandmother had to have her husbands permission to open a bank account or get a credit card. And I'm not talking 1913... This was in the 50s. And my Grandfather would have been embarrassed and ashamed if his wife "had" to work. It would have meant he wasn't doing his job as a man and a husband.

Like they say "we've come a long way baby" ;)

I would rather live in the future because of the medical advances and modern technology/sanitation!

Maybe you're right. Maybe life was drastically different in the USA than in the rest of the world in 1913. I live in Canada and even my Grandmother had to have her husbands permission to open a bank account or get a credit card. And I'm not talking 1913... This was in the 50s. And my Grandfather would have been embarrassed and ashamed if his wife "had" to work. It would have meant he wasn't doing his job as a man and a husband.

Like they say "we've come a long way baby" ;)

It was not different. Even in the 1970s a single woman had to have her father co-sign to get a mortgage. She could have been a CEO of a company but she could not get a mortgage.

Well considering 100 years ago wasn't exactly what I'd call happy time for Blacks in this country, I'll have to go with door number 2.

100 years into the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter