19 yr old CM sent home because of small tattoo

Hi. I am from the U.K. and got back in July from doing a year on the ICP and we were asked during our interview if we had any visible tattoos. If she lied and then got there and did she would just have to use make up or a plaster. My manager had a tattoo on her hand and I never knew until I once saw her powdering her wrist before her shift, so I don't get what's going on here

Hi. I am from the U.K. and got back in July from doing a year on the ICP and we were asked during our interview if we had any visible tattoos. If she lied and then got there and did she would just have to use make up or a plaster. My manager had a tattoo on her hand and I never knew until I once saw her powdering her wrist before her shift, so I don't get what's going on here
You can't use a bandaid or makeup in a food service position.

Originally, she had been assigned to a food service position and couldn't use anything to cover it up. That was when she admitted she had the tattoo and asked to be put into a different position. Disney refused and she was sent home. Weeks later, they had a change of heart and agreed she could come back and work in a retail position (non-food). that is where she is now. The thread was resurrected because somebody posted that she had come home again because she was homesick but I don't believe that is the case.

Should have been a year long placement but something has obviously not gone to plan as she's been back in the uk since end of November either couldn't cope or had her placement termed. My DD is a CM in Epcot and she definitely left only after a few months as my DD checked to see if she was still in the Disney system for UK pavilion. My DD has just finished 6 months at World Traveller in Epcot and now moved on to second placement in Electric Umbrella which runs until July. She's having a great time and made loads of new US friends which is great.

She is definitely home. How or why I have no idea. I wish her the best though..I think she was just really homesick.

Shame really if that's the case as it's a great opportunity to learn a lot about yourself and gain some serious self confidence.

Should have been a year long placement but something has obviously not gone to plan as she's been back in the uk since end of November either couldn't cope or had her placement termed. My DD is a CM in Epcot and she definitely left only after a few months as my DD checked to see if she was still in the Disney system for UK pavilion. My DD has just finished 6 months at World Traveller in Epcot and now moved on to second placement in Electric Umbrella which runs until July. She's having a great time and made loads of new US friends which is great.

According to her blog it wasn't a year long placement but was due to finish at the start of June. I don't know whether it's true or not that she's come home early (and definitely not something to judge - not everyone's experience doing the Disney programs is the same as others and it can definitely be difficult!), but I wanted to clarify that.

PixarA113, why did your daughter check the system for her. That's creepy imo

As far as I know I'm not the one actually out there so apologies just what gets commented on in passing. Something to do about when you go on shift from what I'm aware. DD was put in the UK pavilion for a few weeks some time back before being moved on to her current location as the UK pavilion was under staffed. They used to get the same bus together to go to work off and on. Appreciate placements can be both great fun but also challenging - when DD first went out she had a round of missing home but thankfully other than that been so busy with so many exciting things and opportunities not had time to become otherwise concerned about being so far away from home. Outside of normal hours she's also got studies to do and done give kids the world which sounded really interesting. Think the key to making a go of it is to get involved with a lot of activities.

Last edited:
I recall that her post from when she came home from the first program indicated that she was disappointed with the program beyond the tattoo issue and that she was terribly homesick. When I read here she was going back, I suspected she would not stay for the entire 2nd program either if that was the case so I am not surprised to hear that she may have left early again. WDWCP and ICP are a lot of fun but they are also not just a 6 month or year long vacation and you definitely need to be prepared for the homesickness and the challenges that come with living and working with people from all over. It can be a great experience but it is not for everyone and that is totally fine. It seems like she was trying to make her dad's dream of working for Disney come true and not her own and that never works out well.

I recall that her post from when she came home from the first program indicated that she was disappointed with the program beyond the tattoo issue and that she was terribly homesick. When I read here she was going back, I suspected she would not stay for the entire 2nd program either if that was the case so I am not surprised to hear that she may have left early again. WDWCP and ICP are a lot of fun but they are also not just a 6 month or year long vacation and you definitely need to be prepared for the homesickness and the challenges that come with living and working with people from all over. It can be a great experience but it is not for everyone and that is totally fine. It seems like she was trying to make her dad's dream of working for Disney come true and not her own and that never works out well.
I agree--I had never heard of her until this thread began, but going back then and reading many of the blog posts (both hers and her dad's) it did seem like she was heavily pushed not this "dream" and it was much more her father's than her own.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 19 year old who is not up to being so far from home and her own culture- I do not fault her at all for not "making it" though I do think it is wrong for her family to have tried to blame Disney for the tattoo issue or for treating her like an adult and not communicating directly with them (sounds like her father's issue and not hers) and it is too bad that she didn't realize the fit was not right after that first foray and instead tried again and put herself through more stress, and Disney through having an employee leave sooner than expected again (assuming those posting are right about that part).

I do hope she has the chance to learn and grow and find herself as a separate person from her father's ideal of who she should be, sooner rather than later.

I agree--I had never heard of her until this thread began, but going back then and reading many of the blog posts (both hers and her dad's) it did seem like she was heavily pushed not this "dream" and it was much more her father's than her own.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 19 year old who is not up to being so far from home and her own culture- I do not fault her at all for not "making it" though I do think it is wrong for her family to have tried to blame Disney for the tattoo issue or for treating her like an adult and not communicating directly with them (sounds like her father's issue and not hers) and it is too bad that she didn't realize the fit was not right after that first foray and instead tried again and put herself through more stress, and Disney through having an employee leave sooner than expected again (assuming those posting are right about that part).

I do hope she has the chance to learn and grow and find herself as a separate person from her father's ideal of who she should be, sooner rather than later.

Totally agreed and can empathise as a parent with a daughter doing the same thing at the moment. It's about keeping it honest and taking each step at a time. For us it was very much the other way around. Never seen someone so determined to make her own path and get on a year placement. You support and encourage your children to become independent and going 4500 miles to get what they want. DD is already making longer term career plans and it's difficult to grasp how things will eventually pan out. It's just like sending kids off to University - they leave an inexperienced teen and come back so quickly as a mature adult. Doesn't really matter if it's Disney or whatever or how successful someone becomes as long as they are happy, safe and enjoy themselves.

Saying our DD was determined was one thing but there is also a reality that it can be a hard place to work and needs so much effort. It's not for everyone and you don't know how things will pan out until you give it a go. Everyone at some point has to find their own way in the world - never had any idea DD would finish up doing what she's doing but each to their own. Everyone has challenges, part of life, if something doesn't work the way you want then move on to the next opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter