19 year old teen urinating off of his verandah..

dcl should of dropped him off at the nearest country wherever that was and hand him over to the police.

I completely agree and am almost as angry at the apologists here for Disney's lack of enforcement as the OP is at the kid in discussion.

The last straw for me was that smelly waffle of a "we're sorry, have a nice day" letter DCL sent in response to the complaint. It made me so angry that I am now going to personally make sure this story gets as much attention as possible and far, far beyond the DIS. Links to it are already on the boards of every major cruise site...and I'm just getting started.

So DCL, you have nice day too.;)
Someone needs a hobby....and maybe some anger management counseling. :lmao:

dcl should of dropped him off at the nearest country wherever that was and hand him over to the police.
Right! Because I'm sure there are tons of countries with the time and resources to invest in prosecuting or even detaining someone who committed such a heinous crime.

Here is the problem for Disney:
(My guess as to what happened)
They went and confronted the boy/family. The boy told him that he urinated off of the Verandah but did not know anyone else was around. He acts horrified and apologenic. Everybody promises that it will not happen again, they are so sorry ect.

Whose story is Disney to believe???? I am sure if he had caused anymore trouble they would have taken action.

Disney has the problem of trying to make everyone happy. Before the exile someone they had better have real good proof and reason.

Some situation sucks and sometimes life is not fair

H

Before he urinated... he told us more than once to 'shut the **** up'. He knew we were there and security had already heard my story... twice.

It's not a big deal really... it's over. The trip is done and gone. There are bigger and better things ahead that I'm looking forward to. Disney is such a small part of this wonderful world... I enjoyed it while it was good... now it's time to move on.

Exposing himself is against the law!!! I would have expected some type of confinement and or charges filed. :furious: I'm sorry this happened to you. :sad2:
ITA

I think they need to have some sort of consequence for actions such as those the OP witnessed. I don't care how old you are.

Someone needs a hobby....and maybe some anger management counseling. :lmao:

And perhaps a certain large company needs to understand that they no longer control the communication of their dirty laundry (ergo, thanks to the web we all now know about how they blew off a client who while on their ship was the victim of a CLASS B MISDEMEANOR.

So welcome to DCL, where for you four figure investment you can enjoy being the victim of ugly, law-breaking thugs...and watch them get the lightest possible slap on the hand.

S 245.00 Public lewdness.

A person is guilty of public lewdness when he intentionally exposes
the private or intimate parts of his body in a lewd manner or commits
any other lewd act (a) in a public place, or (b) in private premises
under circumstances in which he may readily be observed from either a
public place or from other private premises, and with intent that he be
so observed.

§ 12.22. CLASS B MISDEMEANOR. An individual adjudged
guilty of a Class B misdemeanor shall be punished by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $2,000;
(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed 180
days; or
(3) both such fine and confinement

We were on a special Christmas cruise in 2006 and the couple next to us used their verandah very often for "adult activities":hug: that should have been confined to their cabin. The first time I discovered it was when I went out to get some bathing suits that were drying. I was so embarrassed (don't know why I should have been embarrassed!) I had to make sure the kids never went out on the verandah without "clearance". I'd go out there, move the furniture around, make a lot of noise, cough, etc. But , to tell you the truth, they either didn't care - or were too "involved" to even hear me. We basically couldn't use the verandah the whole cruise, because they were almost always there . We wondered why they were even on a cruise, because all they saw was the view from the verandah.

It was awkward and disappointing to say the least, but it didn't ruin our cruise. It never occured to us to tell anyone, I mean after all what could they do? These folks weren't teenagers, either. They were, shall I say "mature adults". The few times we ran in to them coming or going from the cabins it was really awkward!
:scared1: How embarassing ---- for them, I mean. Yikes! I guess they just didn't care who knew what they were doing out there. :confused:

And perhaps a certain large company needs to understand that they no longer control the communication of their dirty laundry (ergo, thanks to the web we all now know about how they blew off a client who while on their ship was the victim of a CLASS B MISDEMEANOR.

So welcome to DCL, where for you four figure investment you can enjoy being the victim of ugly, law-breaking thugs...and watch them get the lightest possible slap on the hand.

so observed.

days; or
(3) both such fine and confinement.

So is this US law or Bahamian law? Considering the ship is registered in the Bahamas, they may not be under USA jurisdiction.

so observed.

days; or
(3) both such fine and confinement
OK HE DID NOT INTENTIONALLY EXPOSE HIS PRIVATE PART. SHE had to stand up and look around the veranda to see what he was doing.

He was acting foolish but he was not having intent of exposing himself..You need to calm down.

It is much worse for people to be having sex in the veranda next to them which seems to be excepted....You are making much more out of this than neccasary.

So is this US law or Bahamian law? Considering the ship is registered in the Bahamas, they may not be under USA jurisdiction.

Trust me, if the teen in discussion had been arrested, he'd have been better of under U.S. law (which is what I quoted). If he had tried to go down the "oh, the ship and is under Bahamas registry" path, charges could have been brought against him under the Bahamian Sexual Offenses Act - which has much tougher penalties.

I would be totally fuming if I experienced something like this!!:headache:
That said, I think the 'punishment' Disney handed out was appropriate based on the information that can be proven. This was essentially a one time incident that no one else witnessed. Your word against his. Should every person who has such a complaint lodged against them be thrown off the ship? I know you didn't suggest that but some of the reactions I'm reading are just ridiculously severe for something that can't be proven.
I am sorry for your experience, no one should have to deal with something like that. I'm glad you are able to see that there are more important things in life than getting worked up over this.

He was acting foolish but he was not having intent of exposing himself.

How do you know this? He had already displayed verbal anger at the victim, so he certainly could have had the intent to expose. Bottom line - neither you or I were there, so we don't know. Only the OP does and only a court could assess the credibility of the accusation.

Trust me, if the teen in discussion had been arrested, he'd have been better of under U.S. law (which is what I quoted). If he had tried to go down the "oh, the ship and is under Bahamas registry" path, charges could have been brought against him under the Bahamian Sexual Offenses Act - which has much tougher penalties.
Yeah, I wasn't challenging you. I was just stating a fact. So if you quoted US law, then that is irrelevant to this situation since they are under Bahamian jurisdiction. If those laws are far more severe, then so be it.
He should have been cited.

How do you know this? He had already displayed verbal anger at the victim, so he certainly could have had the intent to expose. Bottom line - neither you or I were there, so we don't know. Only the OP does and only a court could assess the credibility of the accusation.
I know because the women says she had to STAND UP AND LOOK OVER TO SEE WHAT THE NOISE WAS.......

You are 100% correct when you say that no one knows for sure what happened...EXACTLY why Disney could have done no more than they did.

Wouldn't the ship be under the laws of the country it is currently in? Since the ship was docked in Cozumel, wouldn't it be Mexican jurisdiction? I know if a murder had been convicted, or a drug charge... the offender would have been removed from the ship and have to face penalty from that country... correct?

And I believe he had every intent of exposing himself, which is why he challenged the OP in the beginning with his verbal assault. He was fully aware she was there, and made sure he had her full attention before he exposed and relieved himself.

Wouldn't the ship be under the laws of the country it is currently in? Since the ship was docked in Cozumel, wouldn't it be Mexican jurisdiction? I know if a murder had been convicted, or a drug charge... the offender would have been removed from the ship and have to face penalty from that country... correct?

And I believe he had every intent of exposing himself, which is why he challenged the OP in the beginning with his verbal assault. He was fully aware she was there, and made sure he had her full attention before he exposed and relieved himself.
I don't know...that's what I was asking a couple of posts ago. Certainly no matter what country they were under the legal obligation to, something more could have been done. Perhaps if the OP wasn't pressing for more legal action then it wasn't persued by DCL security.

Only a handful of people know and an even smaller percentage of that handful are even half as concerned about it as you are. Trust me, Disney isn't going to lose sleep over this. Yes it was wrong, yes it was an unfortunate incident, yes DCL should have done a little more to correct the issue at the time, however no crime occurred and to imply otherwise is just plain inaccurate.

Funny how sometimes you read things online and they stick with you. I've slept on this and thought about it some more.

OP, I think you handled this situation with perfect aplomb. You did what decency dictated you do.

Whether Disney handled it appropriately seems to be an "eye of the beholder" thing. If I ran the zoo/ship, then I would've restricted the young man to his cabin for the duration of the cruise, sort of like house arrest. But apparently the punishment Disney offered seemed adequate in their eyes, and I don't see that there were any more problems from this fellow. Disney could've generated some good will by offering something - even as basic as a little shipboard credit - but I'm sure there are good reasons why Disney can't or won't - people tend to "work the system" when they see an area to exploit. (And OP, I'm not implying that you'd do anything so tacky!)

I'd forgotten that I had a similar experience at WDW. Several years ago, I took a teenage church group to WDW, and we were camping at Ft. Wilderness in Creekside Meadow, the group camping area.

One afternoon two of our girls came running up to me, terrified. Turns out that a man had come out of the comfort station where we were camping stark naked and exposed himsefl to these teenagers.

He was long gone by the time I heard about it, but I talked to Disney security, who came out and filed a report. As the security officer said, "We're sorry this happened, Disney has thousands of people on property daily, we wish everyone would behave themselves, but sometimes they don't," etc. They said they'd be on the alert for this kind of activity, should it happen again. I felt like they'd done what they needed to do.

BUT ... that evening, I got a visit from another security officer, who told me that they had caught the guy doing the same thing in another camping loop, and that he'd been turned over to the local sherrif's department.

I appreciated the courtesy call on that one.

*sigh*. We just live in a fallen world where bad things happen. Even at Disney.

Here is the problem for Disney:
(My guess as to what happened)
They went and confronted the boy/family. The boy told him that he urinated off of the Verandah but did not know anyone else was around. He acts horrified and apologenic. Everybody promises that it will not happen again, they are so sorry ect.

Whose story is Disney to believe???? I am sure if he had caused anymore trouble they would have taken action.

Disney has the problem of trying to make everyone happy. Before the exile someone they had better have real good proof and reason.

Some situation sucks and sometimes life is not fair

H

If you think the boy might have been so apologetic, why didn't he apologize to the OP? It sounds to me that if that would have happened, the OP would not have felt so uncomfortable the rest of the cruise!

I agree it’s ridiculous to assume that his urinating had absolutely NOTHING to do with being vulgar and that he didn' start doing that to intentionally insult and upset the OP. If some DCL-can-do-no-wrong types here think otherwise, fine, but let's hear an argument as to how/why, not just "someone can be doing something illegal, but if you have to move or turn your head to see it, they're not guilty of anything." A judge would literally laugh at anyone trying to use that "excuse."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter